Kel-Tec SU16A and/or SUB 2000

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec SU16A and/or SUB 2000 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone here have either of these rifles, what do you think about them, Is it more gimmick that anything else. Both of them fold ...

Thread: Kel-Tec SU16A and/or SUB 2000

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Kel-Tec SU16A and/or SUB 2000

Does anyone here have either of these rifles, what do you think about them, Is it more gimmick that anything else. Both of them fold more than just the stock to reduce storable size, and the SUB 2000 can be had to use the same mags as several popular handguns.

So who has either, and what do you think?

SU 16A

SUB 2000

Thanks
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Well, the SU-16 is a Rifle, and the SUB 2000 is a Pistol Carbine.

I don't own either, but have owned variations of the rifle-caliber carbine and PDW/carbine over the years. If you only want to stock one caliber, and the SUB is compatible with a handgun you own-perfect. If you already own an AR,and want a cheaper truck-gun, the SU may be more practical.

If neither is the case, and you do not yet have a rifle caliber, the SU would be a better choice, for my money...

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I was thinking about the SU-16 for my self, and maybe the SUB2000 for my wife, the Sub doesn't come in my caliber, and the lighter recoil would be better for her over the SU in .223

I guess the main question is, are they crap, or is it a solid piece and worth the money.

I don't have a .223 in anything, but the wife does have a compatiable 9mm for the Sub.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    I would not get a SU-16 as my primary 5.56mm. I have shot a couple of them. They are light and handle well but I don't think that they will stand up and be a good TEOTWAWKI rifle, are even a SHTF rifle. I think they would be a great Truck gun to get you back to your SHTF rifle.

I have thought about the Sub-2000 for get me back to my SHTF carbine because they come in my caliber.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I own the Sub2000 in 9mm, i have it loaded with Goldot 124+ps
    its my inside home defense weapon., It's service life is around 3000
    rounds or so i was told by keltec. It is not the prettyist gun but for its price, a good gun for plinking, truck, and home defense use in my opinion.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I guess the main question is, are they crap, or is it a solid piece and worth the money.

I don't have a .223 in anything, but the wife does have a compatiable 9mm for the Sub.
    If your wife can match the SUB, with mags and ammo, that would be a reasonable purchase. If you don't currently have a .223, I would look at an AK, in the same price range, rather than the SU-16. Warriortalk.com , and AR15.com both have good AK boards, with info on what to look for, and how to smooth out rough spots on the cheaper ones (generally WASRs).

Sub2000

I care for some of these in .40 owned by a local PD. They hold up to the day-to-day abuse of rattling around in cop cars, getting wet in the rain, etc. I noticed on one we zeroed for them that the sight was cranked pretty far to one side before it was zeroed, but it shot fine. They are .40s with Glock 22 magazines and use Remington 180gr JHP.

I have in the past owned two sub 2000's. One in 9mm and one in 40. I loved the nine and often ran it in IDPA matches. But then I traded it for a Beretta M92FS and I've been happy with the trade. Then I got the Sub 2000 in 40 and didn't like it at all. The recoil was unpleasant, especially in rapid fire. It was accurate enough out to about 50 yards. But so was the 9mm version and that was a lot more fun to shoot! I got rid of that and picked up a nice little Walther P22 that I use in my NRA Instruction classes, especially for kids whose parents want them to get started in familiarization and safety.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links