Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use. - Page 2

Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use.

This is a discussion on Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would love to own a double couch gun, but the only reason I haven't dropped the coin is I can get a reliable pump ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use.

I would love to own a double couch gun, but the only reason I haven't dropped the coin is I can get a reliable pump for less. The reasons for getting a double would be because it has a definite fun factor and the gun would be lighter and more handy. I have the belief that I could get whatever I needed done with either a double or pump whether it be for defense or sporting use, but the pump just offers more overall when it comes to price and use. The follow-up shot is a definite plus with a double barrel though. That being said a well placed shot from a shotgun is usually sufficient as many know.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    For defense, the biggest issue with a double is that most are not drop safe. Therefore, you cannot safely store them loaded. I would only consider one that either is drop safe (don't know of any) or that has external hammers. Of course, you can keep the chambers loaded and the gun open, too. I have kids at home, so that isn't a practical way to store it in the safe.
    Many shotguns aren't drop safe. The Mossberg 500 series and Remington 870 for example are technically not drop safe. This is why many police departments use a condition called "cruiser ready " for there shotguns. (Magazine full chamber empty) and the military does the same in my experience with there M500 shotguns.(Mossberg 500/590A1). Honestly I can only speak on behalf of the NAVY as that is there SOP.

I used to store my shotgun chambered, but after some more consideration I've changed to a cruiser ready condition.
    10thmtn and 5lima30ret like this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by LeanHard View Post
    Many shotguns aren't drop safe. The Mossberg 500 series and Remington 870 for example are technically not drop safe. This is why many police departments use a condition called "cruiser ready " for there shotguns. (Magazine full chamber empty) and the military does the same in my experience with there M500 shotguns.(Mossberg 500/590A1). Honestly I can only speak on behalf of the NAVY as that is there SOP.

I used to store my shotgun chambered, but after some more consideration I've changed to a cruiser ready condition.
    Yup. My Mossy 500 is kept the same...full mag, chamber empty. Much faster to rack the pump than loading an empty double though.

I really wish someone would make a defensive, single trigger double with ejectors that was drop safe, which could be kept loaded with the tang safety on "safe." I'd buy one in an instant.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I'm voting for pump. Double might win for the second shot but not by much, unless you're shooting the same target twice. But after 2... the pump wins by a mile especially if you have pull em out of your pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns others "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I'm voting for pump. Double might win for the second shot but not by much, unless you're shooting the same target twice. But after 2... the pump wins by a mile especially if you have pull em out of your pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    When hunting pheasants(with my first shotgun, a single) and toward the end of a ditch I used to put one in my mouth. I could actually get off a good second shot after a ton of practice. Also I was ready for a second bird. Dad frowned on wasting shots lol. That's why he started me on a single shot. He just shook his head when I came up with the "one in the mouth"method.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Pump no doubt. Slightly slower follow up then a 6+ more round in the tube depending on the gun before a reload

Pumps are more versatile. Can change barrel to fit hunting or self defense need. A double barrel is what you get barrel length and most of the time choke unless the choke is interchangeable. If I needed one shotgun to do it all and the choice was double or pump I would pick pump. I have both plus auto and o/u.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Concur. Would prefer pump as the "one." Not because a quality semi-auto is no good, but because it wasn't a choice and because they're not as romantic. But in general they just allow for more options, which is pretty much what it comes down to when looking for "one and only one" thing to be used for a bunch of different purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    When hunting pheasants(with my first shotgun, a single) and toward the end of a ditch I used to put one in my mouth. I could actually get off a good second shot after a ton of practice. Also I was ready for a second bird. Dad frowned on wasting shots lol. That's why he started me on a single shot. He just shook his head when I came up with the "one in the mouth"method.
    I suppose the other reason, at least for me, is I grew up hunting with my grandfather's double barrel Remington. Being right handed but left eye dominant I've always felt more comfortable shooting rifles and shotguns left handed when I learned to shoot. With the double or even my single shot I preferred the location of the safety over the pump. I also wouldn't be distracted with an ejected shell to the face if I needed a follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Dad frowned on wasting shots lol. That's why he started me on a single shot. He just shook his head when I came up with the "one in the mouth"method.
    And my Dad always said if you can't drop it with one shot you don't deserve the meat.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeman79 View Post
    And my Dad always said if you can't drop it with one shot you don't deserve the meat.
    Are we related? Sound like at least our dads were
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I love the classic feeling of the double barrel and they are very reliable. But the pump action as everyone knows has much more capacity and also just the sound of the pump action is such a distinct sound that anyone who hears that will probably be running away and wont even need to shoot.

Either would be fine for HD, but I gotta say there is something about staring down a SxS 12 ga that is VERY intimidating!
    10thmtn and Bigsteve113 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    I'm an OU guy. Just less to go wrong with the firearm.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

GMan, glad you brought this up! Ever since I learned that the Ruger Red Label was originally conceived (by Bill Ruger himself) as an over-&-under double rifle, I've thought to would be interesting to build an stainless/synthetic Red Label "Coach Gun". Shorten it to just North of NFA requirements, tune both barrels to same POI at 100 yards with specific slugs, thread both barrels for chokes, backbore & remove any remaining forcing cones. While I agree that 2 rounds are somewhat limiting, the SASS guys & old-time Pro Big Game Hunters can/could reload those doubles in an impressive hurry. There's just something about having redundant, virtually un-jammable ignition systems that's kept big double rifles in Africa until right this second. In fact, it's my understanding that the preferred equipment for stalking a wounded big cat in the thick brush is: full baseball catcher's gear and a...12 gauge double-barreled shotgun. I can't think of ANY bad guy being more dangerous...than THAT.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links