Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use. - Page 3

Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use.

This is a discussion on Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here in Kansas upland bird hunting is a much revered event and I settled on SXS & O/U shotguns years ago. Nothing wrong wit pump's ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use.

Here in Kansas upland bird hunting is a much revered event and I settled on SXS & O/U shotguns years ago. Nothing wrong wit pump's in fact I love 'em! But the way we hunt western Kansas is walking fields fence line to fence line. Blockers at the end of the hunted field have pic-ups that drive the other hunters to the next spot which can be anywhere from a quarter mile to several miles depending on what crops are planted, what areas we have permission hunt and so on.

Seems like your always unloading your gun to cross a fence or get a vehicle, so moving the top lever to the right breaking the gun and plucking the shells out with frozen fingers has always been easier for me with a double than the pump or auto drill. When clearing the round out the chamber about half the time I drop it in the sand, mud or snow.
    Also when at the end of the drive when everyone standing around B. S ing & catching there breath its comforting and just good manners to see the guns broken open & unloaded.

As far as the guns themselves go, yes pumps offer more firepower but truthfully I rarely fire more than twice no matter what I'm hunting with, if a bird goes down I mark him immediately and try not to take my eyes off until the dogs or I have the bird in hand. Its rare that I ever have the opportunity to fire more than twice, but yes, It does happen!
    I love the fact I can change loads from quail to pheasant quickly and having two different chokes on hand has been a godsend at times. 71/2's in the open choke 4's 5's or 6's in the tighter choke. (I live to obsess over shot size & chokes!)

Nothing feels better in my hands than a good SXS or O/U. I swear my Beretta 12 bore Silver Hawk points like the finger of God and If she were a woman she would be Gisele Bundchen !
    All that said I still want to hunt a season with a Winchester model 12 16 gauge and another season with a Belgian round knob Auto 5 20 gauge.

For me anyway its more about hunt than the gun, but whether a guy is shooting clays or hunting game if your hunting with a gun that trips your trigger then pulling the trigger is all the more fun!
    5lima30ret and Bigsteve113 like this.

i kinda like this one

DP-12 Double Barrel Pump Shotgun - Standard Mfg. Co. LLC

not so sure about "general" use. might not work so great for wrabbits, or geese. but plenty of ammo to work with.
    more a home defense product.
    in a bull pup setting, but has a long tube. can use chokes. aiming for the long shot???
    just dropped a couple grand on a couple new guns, so have to wait to buy this. (report when i can). any out there held/shot one yet?
    interesting to see if a semi-auto comes out. might be a bit heavy.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
    i kinda like this one

DP-12 Double Barrel Pump Shotgun - Standard Mfg. Co. LLC

not so sure about "general" use. might not work so great for wrabbits, or geese. but plenty of ammo to work with.
    more a home defense product.
    in a bull pup setting, but has a long tube. can use chokes. aiming for the long shot???
    just dropped a couple grand on a couple new guns, so have to wait to buy this. (report when i can). any out there held/shot one yet?
    interesting to see if a semi-auto comes out. might be a bit heavy.

i got a ksg before this came out and like it. ksg are about half that price so unless street prices for this are substantially lower i'd not see that much value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

1. My step-father's old Winchester Model 12 pump allows one to hold the trigger and keep pumping, firing repeatedly without moving one's trigger finger.
    2. When cleaning my late father's Browning Semi-auto shotgun, I noticed the plastic rod that appears to limit the shotgun to 3 rounds is easily removed. I haven't tried it yet as the ranges won't allow shotguns and I don't have a place to test it. But it appears I could load considerably more than just three which I would for home defense (not for hunting).

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportymonk View Post
    1. My step-father's old Winchester Model 12 pump allows one to hold the trigger and keep pumping, firing repeatedly without moving one's trigger finger.
    2. When cleaning my late father's Browning Semi-auto shotgun, I noticed the plastic rod that appears to limit the shotgun to 3 rounds is easily removed. I haven't tried it yet as the ranges won't allow shotguns and I don't have a place to test it. But it appears I could load considerably more than just three which I would for home defense (not for hunting).
    Just for future reference, the plastic rod is known as a "duck plug" and is used to limit shotgun magazine capacity for migratory bird hunting. Just in case you didn't know.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

I bought for my first gun, a Mossberg 590 from Big 5, because I was married and had a baby on the way and I am responsible for them and our safety. Not from a gun family, though they had no problems with them, just not blessed in that way. I think I will always have this particular gun and for most home needs it seems to fit the bill.

I absolutely love the look of a coach gun. The o/u looks neat too, but I just love the coach gun look. I think it would be a great truck or travel companion as they are generally shorter. I like the idea of possibly having exposed hammers as well. Never sure of how many shots something may take, so the 9 in the Mossberg is comforting. For "single combat" a nice coach gun would be fine by me.

Sorry Gman, got to reading posts and forgot the OP. I think a sxs balances so darn well. I have never shot one, but for moving about or being in a somewhat confined space, it seems like it would be the bees knees if one is able to reload efficiently. My hope with the Mossberg was not having to reload. I do not hunt, so I am only conidering defensive applications.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; January 11th, 2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Address the OP
    glockman10mm and 5lima30ret like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys.

After reading , and thinking, I believe desire is going to outweigh sheer purpose here, and I'm leaning heavily towards a sxs.

There is just something about ejecting shells from 2 smoking tubes, and plunking in 2 more, with that aroma of smoke rising up to your nostrils that just defy logic....kinda the way racking the lever on a saddle gun or the clicking of the hammer back on a SAA is just pure pleasure.

I have no idea what brand I will end with, but it doesn't have to be a short barrel coach gun.
    I kinda like the looks of that big stick the fella in the western Appaloosa carried around:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    i got a ksg before this came out and like it. ksg are about half that price so unless street prices for this are substantially lower i'd not see that much value.
    have not seen this one going for under $1200.usd in my area.

some lgs just want to pay the mortgage off one gun sale.

but good single tube pump in a pit-bull stock.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

After reading , and thinking, I believe desire is going to outweigh sheer purpose here, and I'm leaning heavily towards a sxs.

There is just something about ejecting shells from 2 smoking tubes, and plunking in 2 more, with that aroma of smoke rising up to your nostrils that just defy logic....kinda the way racking the lever on a saddle gun or the clicking of the hammer back on a SAA is just pure pleasure.

I have no idea what brand I will end with, but it doesn't have to be a short barrel coach gun.
    I kinda like the looks of that big stick the fella in the western Appaloosa carried around:)
    do i hear a banjo in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

I can relate. Cars with automatic transmissions are faster nowadays than ones with a manual...but the manual is much more fun to drive.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

GMan,

If you're hankerin' for a SxS, I would check out CZ's offerings. I hear pretty good reviews about them and they are reasonably priced (for SxS's). I inherited a nice Beretta 686 SxS 12 gauge from my father. 26" barrels, screw in chokes. Actually, he gave it to me years before he passed. It has been a bird hunters dream with IC in the first barrel, and M in the second barrel.

But, my most versatile shotgun has been my Old Remington 870 Super Magnum. It came with the 26" Rem Choke barrel and I later added a 21" Rem Choke barrel to the mix. With that 21" and the IC choke it is quick and deadly on woodcock, quail, and rabbits. With the 26" M ducks, doves, and squirrels catch hell.

That 21" IC ain't too shabby for self defense either, and with the plug removed it's a 5 shooter.

Although that Beretta SxS is a super fine gun, and valued at probably 4 times the 870 value, if I could only have one....I'd likely go with the old 870. As a side note though. I'd be just as happy with the regular 870 Magnum (3"), with the same barrel configuration, as I never use 3 1/2" shells anymore, and haven't for years. But 20 years ago when I bought mine, all the goose hunters said "you gotta have 3 1/2"". After years of experience I find that 3" do just as well or better. And 95% of my hunting is with 2 3/4" shells !!!!

This is it leaning on the log on the side of me on a woodcock hunt the other day.

Pump vs Double barrel shotgun for all round use.-12-16.jpg
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

+1 on the CZ! A lot of bang for the buck!
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Well, I am not one of those "shoot to kill" people. So I advocate "winging them in the arm" for defensive purposes. That said...I am now in my 60's and my eyesight is not as keen as it used to once be. So, I need 5-6 shots of 00 buck to make sure I hit the guys arm correctly..thereby thwarting any threat. So, while I like a double barrel SG....it simply doesn't have the necessary capacity.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Well, I am not one of those "shoot to kill" people. So I advocate "winging them in the arm" for defensive purposes. That said...I am now in my 60's and my eyesight is not as keen as it used to once be. So, I need 5-6 shots of 00 buck to make sure I hit the guys arm correctly..thereby thwarting any threat. So, while I like a double barrel SG....it simply doesn't have the necessary capacity.
    But it does have the necessary versatility, which is more important to me than a strictly defensive use, which a shotty, would not be for my first choice anyway.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    GMan,

If you're hankerin' for a SxS, I would check out CZ's offerings. I hear pretty good reviews about them and they are reasonably priced (for SxS's). I inherited a nice Beretta 686 SxS 12 gauge from my father. 26" barrels, screw in chokes. Actually, he gave it to me years before he passed. It has been a bird hunters dream with IC in the first barrel, and M in the second barrel.

But, my most versatile shotgun has been my Old Remington 870 Super Magnum. It came with the 26" Rem Choke barrel and I later added a 21" Rem Choke barrel to the mix. With that 21" and the IC choke it is quick and deadly on woodcock, quail, and rabbits. With the 26" M ducks, doves, and squirrels catch hell.

That 21" IC ain't too shabby for self defense either, and with the plug removed it's a 5 shooter.

Although that Beretta SxS is a super fine gun, and valued at probably 4 times the 870 value, if I could only have one....I'd likely go with the old 870. As a side note though. I'd be just as happy with the regular 870 Magnum (3"), with the same barrel configuration, as I never use 3 1/2" shells anymore, and haven't for years. But 20 years ago when I bought mine, all the goose hunters said "you gotta have 3 1/2"". After years of experience I find that 3" do just as well or better. And 95% of my hunting is with 2 3/4" shells !!!!

This is it leaning on the log on the side of me on a woodcock hunt the other day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-16.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	168953
    Steve, it just so happens the CZ is right up there on my list!
    As always, thanks for your input.
    Bigsteve113 and 5lima30ret like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links