Red Dot Type Scopes On Home Defense Shotguns

This is a discussion on Red Dot Type Scopes On Home Defense Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just wondering how many of you guys used quick acquisition scopes on your home defense shotguns. If so, what type and brands are ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Red Dot Type Scopes On Home Defense Shotguns

I was just wondering how many of you guys used quick acquisition scopes on your home defense shotguns. If so, what type and brands are you using. Any recoil issues? Any information and or pics would be great! Thanks!
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Senior Moderator
    Not here, because "home defense" for me means inside my house. The longest shot is thus maybe 25-30 feet, and at that distance any shoulder-fired gun in this house is a natural pointer, with muzzle being the visual index.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Never understood why anyone needs more than a bead on a shotgun. Not much quicker than that.
    Brad426, craze, Renaldow and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

No I agree with both of them 25 or 30 feet maybe a light
    Brad426 likes this.

Same here... light, but no optics. I did toy with the idea briefly, but decided it was not necessary on a shotgun dedicated to home defense.
    Spark456 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not here, because "home defense" for me means inside my house. The longest shot is thus maybe 25-30 feet, and at that distance any shoulder-fired gun in this house is a natural pointer, with muzzle being the visual index.
    That' was my thinking but then I read an article about the top 7 military and police shotguns and all but two of the seven had reflex sights on them. Two out of seven for the military and the police? You have to think they would know something. There must be some kind of advantage to having them.
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Same here... light, but no optics. I did toy with the idea briefly, but decided it was not necessary on a shotgun dedicated to home defense.
    My home defense shotgun would become my primary weapon should the SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    That' was my thinking but then I read an article about the top 7 military and police shotguns and all but two of the seven had reflex sights on them. Two out of seven for the military and the police? You have to think they would know something. There must be some kind of advantage to having them.
    They aren't using theirs for home defense.
    AzQkr and gasmitty like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    They aren't using theirs for home defense.

You didn't say that. So if your talking about SHTF I'll lay that down and get a AR I want distance for that
    johndp1911 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My feelings exactly. I keep the Ithaca 37lw m+p 9 shot loaded with none in the chamber [ #4 buck ] in the bedroom. At home defense ranges, and even considering taking the fight outside, I need no light or dot/sighting system to engage effectively. In fact, the dot on a hd shottie may just slow some people down in their response.
    5lima30ret and gasmitty like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I put an expensive red dot on my social shotgun. I was running a "house clearing drill' one night and went down the basement stairs. My red dot suddenly turned off! It seems, that when the plastic cap is installed, it's designed to turn off to save battery-life. The plastic cap covers a light-sensor. So, when the stairwell went dark, the Red Dot "thought" the cover was on and WENT DARK. I no longer have an optic on my social shotgun.
    AzQkr and PhaedrusIV like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Those guns are not guaranteed to be used in a single family home.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Check out the PA micro dot

MJK
    I no longer rely on a shotgun as my primary HD weapon, but rather now employ a 14 1/2" AR with WML and Aimpoint micro red dot. Sometimes home invaders wear body armor and come in packs. 30 rounds of M855 provides a certain level of comfort should that scenario be encountered.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links