Shotgun or AR/AK? - Page 2

Shotgun or AR/AK?

This is a discussion on Shotgun or AR/AK? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HD: Combination of shotgun and Glock 21 Truck: Glock 17 with several strategically placed 33 round mags SHTF: Right now the AR. I got a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Shotgun or AR/AK?

HD: Combination of shotgun and Glock 21

Truck: Glock 17 with several strategically placed 33 round mags

SHTF: Right now the AR. I got a lot of rounds and I find them to be reasonably accurate. Having said that I'd be happy with the AK, I just don't have as much experience with them as I do AR's.

A nice pinned 14.5 inch AR with red dot and light could work for all three scenarios. One rifle to do it all. Keep it out while you're home, throw it in the car when you leave, it'll always be where you are for SHTF.

Of course if you wanted a rifle set up for each scenario you could. Mine would be setup as follows...

HD: Suppressed 10.5 inch SBR with red dot and light. Shooting rifles without a suppressor indoors is no fun.

Truck/trunk: Budget pinned 14.5 with fixed irons and a light. The cost would be kept down on that one due to risk of it being stolen. Keep a bandolier and trauma kit with it.

SHTF: Pinned 14.5 with an ACOG or low power variable (1-4 or 1-6 probably) and light would be very versitile. Suppressor would be good in this application as well. Powerful enough for 2 and 4 legged mammals. Ammo is light enough to carry a decent amount, plus it's common.

That all gets expensive though...lol.
    Last edited by sparkykb; January 10th, 2017 at 02:42 PM.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    AK everytime
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Home- whatever is on the nightstand
    Truck- 10/22 with 25 round mag
    shtf- 10/22 with 25 round mags
    OD* likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    AR
    AR
    AR

By just swapping an optic in a QD mount and maybe a change in ammo the AR can do all 3 very well. I can add a .22 conversion unit and hunt small game with it or get very cheap practice. My current AR goes from HD to match rifle to coyote rifle just by swapping optics and loads. Parts, components, and ammo is everywhere......

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

HD- daily carry to start, Shotgun to backup
    Truck gun - daily carry
    SHTF- Daily carry and what ever I can grab and go with.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Distinguished Member
    Home Defense:
    -- "Bump in the night": Handgun (FNX-45 w/light-laser, 15+1 Speer 230gr Gold Dots)
    -- "The Hoards are Approaching": AR-15 (Spikes/VLTOR build, Holosun ACSS, Nitecore SRT7, Speer 64gr Gold Dots or M855)

Truck Gun:
    -- "At the ATM": Handgun (FNX-45... yep... i have two of them)
    -- "Bugging out": AR Pistol, 7.5", Linear comp., M855 in 20rd Pmags and a D60 on deck.

SHTF: Everything!

I know, that's more than one choice for each scenario, but these are my choices.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Home- whatever is on the nightstand
    Truck- 10/22 with 25 round mag
    shtf- 10/22 with 25 round mags
    glockman: I trust your judgement. Can you say more about why the 10/22 vs some other choices?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

AR for all situations

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    glockman: I trust your judgement. Can you say more about why the 10/22 vs some other choices?
    Well, I'll be glad to share thoughts based on my OPINION, which I have developed from my experience over the years.

First, a " truck gun" for me means a long arm, strategically placed there for an emergency in which my edc cannot be effectively used.
    Much of my experience is contingency related. To that effect, a truck gun has to be ready for anything not necessarily related only to playing an urban Rambo.
    As a farmer, it may be needed to dispatched vermin or live stock that is down, or be meat gun, to put small game on the table.
    It can also be pressed in to a service as a get-me-home gun, capable of protection and provision in a simple, lightweight, and very accurate package that costs one fourth of the price of even a cheap AR or AK that is only good at doing one thing....plus, you can carry a lot more ammo.

SHTF/Whatever:

In these scenarios, it's easy to get up in the arms race. This is because, that by and large, people have no clue as to what is really needed.
    A firearm has got to serve a multi purpose role here. If you are choosing an arm with the intention of fighting it out with others who probably have the same type of weaponry, you are already on your way to not surviving.

Survival is about economy.....

The key to any shtf, is first and foremost provision. And tools that are weapons must also be able to provide food such as small game; birds, rodents, dogs,cats, and whatever.

Being unnoticed, is preferable.
    And,since the human ear cannot DF a singular sound, the quieter that sound is the better, whether needing to place a single well placed shot from a distance on a human head, or on a squirrel.
    Economy.....you can carry a lot of .22 rimfire ammo, that can last a long time.

Centerfire cartridges are limited in their scope of usefulness for this situation.

They may not have the power of the 5.56, or 7.62, but even with my aging eyes, at 150-200 yards I can put one single well placed 40 grain bullet in to a head sized target, without a suppressed rifle, without anyone having a clue where it came from.

I can defend my home during a short term shtf with a 22 rifle.

The sheer economy and versatility of a 22 rifle backed up by a short range hi caliber pistol is a perfect combination.

I'll come down out of the hills and collect all the tactical crap from those who try to fight it out, or starve to death in a few weeks after it starts.
    JasonJ, Erich1B, 10thmtn and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, I'll be glad to share thoughts based on my OPINION, which I have developed from my experience over the years.

First, a " truck gun" for me means a long arm, strategically placed there for an emergency in which my edc cannot be effectively used.
    Much of my experience is contingency related. To that effect, a truck gun has to be ready for anything not necessarily related only to playing an urban Rambo.
    As a farmer, it may be needed to dispatched vermin or live stock that is down, or be meat gun, to put small game on the table.
    It can also be pressed in to a service as a get-me-home gun, capable of protection and provision in a simple, lightweight, and very accurate package that costs one fourth of the price of even a cheap AR or AK that is only good at doing one thing....plus, you can carry a lot more ammo.

SHTF/Whatever:

In these scenarios, it's easy to get up in the arms race. This is because, that by and large, people have no clue as to what is really needed.
    A firearm has got to serve a multi purpose role here. If you are choosing an arm with the intention of fighting it out with others who probably have the same type of weaponry, you are already on your way to not surviving.

Survival is about economy.....

The key to any shtf, is first and foremost provision. And tools that are weapons must also be able to provide food such as small game; birds, rodents, dogs,cats, and whatever.

Being unnoticed, is preferable.
    And,since the human ear cannot DF a singular sound, the quieter that sound is the better, whether needing to place a single well placed shot from a distance on a human head, or on a squirrel.
    Economy.....you can carry a lot of .22 rimfire ammo, that can last a long time.

Centerfire cartridges are limited in their scope of usefulness for this situation.

They may not have the power of the 5.56, or 7.62, but even with my aging eyes, at 150-200 yards I can put one single well placed 40 grain bullet in to a head sized target, without a suppressed rifle, without anyone having a clue where it came from.

I can defend my home during a short term shtf with a 22 rifle.

The sheer economy and versatility of a 22 rifle backed up by a short range hi caliber pistol is a perfect combination.

I'll come down out of the hills and collect all the tactical crap from those who try to fight it out, or starve to death in a few weeks after it starts.
    The 22lr/22WMR is highly under rated. Exceptionally versatile round.

HOME: In MY house, which is small, with small rooms mostly on one level, handgun, 9mm/40/45. Encounter distances are going to be 10-15ft MAXIMUM, in MY house. I have hugely deep backyard though, so if hordes are approaching via my 210' deep backyard, I'm reaching for my AR and I am arming my wife too.

TRUCK: Secondary handgun or short barreled shotgun, 12 gauge. Or both.

SHTF: Everything that I can practically transport or arm myself with. In this scenario, most of us are screwed anyhow. If I need to defend the homestead, I'll need a different weapon than if we are in the sustainability/continuing on without society phase. If I need to defend against the hordes, it's an AR/AK paired with a fighting tomahawk or kukri for hand-to-hand. If I need to put meat on the table, not so much.

General HD whatever Handgun I happen to be carrying. Most everything else, I prefer the AR platform (preferably M-4 configuration) mainly because you can have a lot more ammo on tap for a LOT less weight! A 30 rd mag of 5.56 weighs a lot less than 30 rds of 12 ga 00 Buck. The AR is also more compact, is better for not over penetrating, and I think superior for CQC. Just my .02 worth!
    OD* likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

This is one of my favorite activities - "what if'ing?" My handguns are ONLY for fighting my way to something heavier, wherever I am. As has been said many times, the only advantage to a handgun is conceal ability. I would assume most of us, in a civilian context, will be engaging only a single or possibly a very, very small group of aggressors. I am confident in my semi auto shotgun at distances of 50 yards, which is probably three times as far as I would ever need to use it in my own home defense scenario. It is absolutely devastating and I would confidently say that it would be a one shot fight stopper nearly anywhere on a human body at that range. With my Benelli, as it sits right now, I have 6 chances to end the fight. Downside, reloading, unless you are a three gun ace, is gonna take more time than replacing a magazine on a rifle. i have a side folding AK that is an outstanding for nearly any application. With an Aimpoint red dot, I'm as accurate and quick on target as my eyes will let me be. An AR wouldn't be any different for me, but would probably be lighter. SHTF, I guess, anything goes

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

SHTF - Ruger 10/22. With 25 rd mags. Suppressed if at all possible.
    yup
    10thmtn likes this.

I use my AR pistol for primary in all of these roles.
    OD* likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links