Shotgun or AR/AK?

Shotgun or AR/AK?

This is a discussion on Shotgun or AR/AK? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obviously, you want to own at least one of each, no question. I have had training with both and get the different technical capabilities of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Shotgun or AR/AK?

Shotgun or AR/AK?

Obviously, you want to own at least one of each, no question. I have had training with both and get the different technical capabilities of the two. But my question is about strategy and tactics. If you are in one of the following defensive situations, which do you think you would be most like to grab first and why? Shotgun, AR/AK or maybe something else, like a Scout Rifle? I know these categories have overlap and I know the perfect answer always winds up being "it depends." But try to generalize and present your thinking. I am not concerned with hunting, just defense against bad guys. I think this will be an interesting discussion for everyone and it will also help me with some purchase decisions.
    • Home defense
    • Truck gun
    • SHTF
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Of course, my only grab it and shoot right now option is whatever is on my hip and in my pocket.

For the scenarios you listed, I want the AK. Thirty rounds at up to four rounds per second trumps one blunderbuss round per whatever for however many rounds.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    • Home defense - Shotgun
    • Truck gun- handgun
    • SHTF- depends on proximity
    Home defense - Shotgun
    Truck gun- handgun
    SHTF- depends on proximity
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Hmmm. It's a good set of questions.

For home defense, I'd want an AR15. The main reason is that the AR configuration is generally much easier to add things like RDS and lights, both of which I think are very good things for CQ home defense types of situations. Also, I like the AR round for inside the home because it's a little less dangerous for over-penetration situations. Own every shot, yes, but things just happen and if the rounds are less likely to harm people two walls away, then it's probably a good thing since it's probably my family that's two walls away.

For a truck rifle, I'd want an AK underfolder (oddly enough, it's what's in my truck right now). There is simply nothing else that you can get without a tax stamp that matches it for discreet portability and firepower.

For SHTF, I think I'd probably opt for an AK but I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a AR either. I'd probably lean to the AK simply because it's the Glock of rifles. It's just about as reliable and trouble free as you can ask for. It's not the most accurate, but it's plenty accurate enough that if I'm in a situation where I'm defending a line or mowing down advancing zombies, it's going to out perform me all day long. The AR is by no means a slouch but the lighter bullet weight and more fine parts leaves it down just a tick or two in my tally. If, however, it's what you handed me and told me to slay the advancing zombies, I'd just go to work and not worry about what I would rather have. It's a fine rifle for the task.

Primarily, I think I'd be more concerned that the rifle, of either variety, was a quality build. A craptastic AK or AR is going to become a liability at some point, so whichever I chose, I'd consider the value of my life when considering the cost of the tool that might be tasked with saving it.

Shotguns, while fine firearms for defensive purposes, have too limited a scope for me to realistically choose one over either rifle, given the scope in which you've defined.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

1. Home Defense: Shotgun
    2. Truck (SUV in my case): G26
    3. SHTF: 40-Watt Phased Plasma Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Obviously, you want to own at least one of each, no question. I have had training with both and get the different technical capabilities of the two. But my question is about strategy and tactics. If you are in one of the following defensive situations, which do you think you would be most like to grab first and why? Shotgun, AR/AK or maybe something else, like a Scout Rifle? I know these categories have overlap and I know the perfect answer always winds up being "it depends." But try to generalize and present your thinking. I am not concerned with hunting, just defense against bad guys. I think this will be an interesting discussion for everyone and it will also help me with some purchase decisions.
    • Home defense
    • Truck gun
    • SHTF
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

VZ58 or AK for SHTF .Overbuilt and can last a very long time with poor maitence ..The ammo is often heavily sealed to protect from the cold and wet mags are cheep and overbuilt and UF and Side folding AK are normal as short as you can go before hitting NFA limits .

Shotguns are good and scary but most are slow to load and hold limited ammo and unless you have it slug set up limited on range etc
    Mike1956 and TX expat like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I'm simply not an AK guy, but it's obviously a great rifle to use. I am however a scattergun lover.

To me the shotgun for general use and shear brutality is always an attractive option. Yes you have low ammo capacity and you need to have some experience to run the gun well, but a shotgun with the right load is in a league of it's own when dealing with a threat.

All that being said, the AR15 is such a popular option because it does everything well. It's easy to use, light and easily handled and can stop a threat effectively with the proper type of ammo selection. It's what I would suggest to someone looking at the three basic platforms and wants something to simply protect the home front and have some fun at the range.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Home Defense -.45 auto
    Truck Gun - Ingram M-10 .45 auto
    SHTF - GE M124 Mini gun.

Just one for everything, out of those the AK.

1.Shotgun
    2.Pistol
    3.Oh yea, AK
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

I'm going to say

1 AR
    2 AR
    3 AR

Its fast, there 60 rounds when I pick it up it has 2 30 Mag ,Light, Laser, red dot on it and you can hold people off at a distance if needed.
    Some may ask why not a AK Answer I Don't Own One

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Home - shotgun
    Truck - SKS
    SHTF - SKS or shotgun.
    all backed up with sidearm.
    I don't own an AK.
    My AR's are range toys.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I may be a little different
    HD - .45 on the nightstand and a shotgun nearby.
    truck - AK
    SHTF - AR/AK/pistol in .45 or .357 (all of them).
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Home defense - shotgun. Because I don't live in stately Wayne Manor, if someone is already inside my house, they need to be stopped RIGHT NOW. Distance will be 20 feet or less. No option to run away. Kids and wife behind me. Only likely a chance for one or two shots, at most. That means SHOTGUN. Buckshot is always buckshot. Is a 5.56 going to expand, tumble or fragment? Maybe. Or maybe not. If not, you just shot a BG inside your house with an icepick. Good luck with that.

Truck gun - shotgun. Because it can be kept empty, and legal just about anywhere. In some places, a loaded rifle mag anywhere in the vehicle = a loaded (and illegal) gun. It is very easy to throw a shell or three directly into the shotgun, and take care of business. I have a NEF single shot I keep in the underfloor box in the back of our SUV. 10 Mini Buckshot shells (mix of #1 and #4 buck) in the butt cuff. Backed up by my sidearm, it'll do. If you want more reach, a lever gun will do, for the same reasons.

SHTF - Ruger 10/22. With 25 rd mags. Suppressed if at all possible.
    TSKnight likes this.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Home: big bore revolver

Truck: SKS

SHTF: AK
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

HD- shotgun or PCC
    Truck- PCC
    SHTF- whatever is closest to hand
    darbo likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links