Remington's new 20 GA 870 pump for HD

This is a discussion on Remington's new 20 GA 870 pump for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just held the new (in 2007) 870 20 ga express that is all synthetic and has the 18 or 18.5" barrel with extended mag. ...

Thread: Remington's new 20 GA 870 pump for HD

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Remington's new 20 GA 870 pump for HD

I just held the new (in 2007) 870 20 ga express that is all synthetic and has the 18 or 18.5" barrel with extended mag. I want a shotgun for HD but find the 12 ga's kick to be a bit more than unpleasant. I'm small statured and getting older so the 20 ga fits well. I was thinking of adding a light to the tube and calling it good.

Does anyone out there have this new gun from Remmington?

Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive solution for putting a light on? I know I can by a surefire system for hundreds but can't. If I could buy a switch for one of my surefires and mount the switch to the forestock that would be good. Anyway, any reasonably inexpenseve light solutions would be helpful. I could devote my Surefire E2E to the job if need be.

Thanks and God bless!
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

I don't own one of the new 20 ga Rems, but sure will very shortly.

Hey something I found; what do you guys think about TacStar? They have a light, mount, and pig tail remote pressure switch that will set up on a shotgun for around a $100.00

I have a few surefire's and wouldn't expect this to compare but wondered if anyone was familar with this product?
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/index.htm

Let me know what you guys think and thanks!
    Gideon
    Attached Images

I personally wouldn't use a tacstar on a real home defense weapon but that's just me. Not to put the company down because they don't make bad products but I would just feel more comfortable with something along the lines of a surefire, pentagon, etc

Also, have you ever tried the Federal Tactical redued recoil buckshot for 12ga? It is really quite pleasant to shoot.

Question raysheen, I can appreciate your hesitation but what about using only their tailcap switch? Their pressure switch works with a Surefire 6P?

I'm actually surprised Surefire doesn't make a switch like this for their lights. I know they have it in their high end weapon lights but for HD (i.e. not LEO patrol) I don't wan't hundereds of dollars tied up in this.

So, again, what would you think if I got a Surefire 6P but used the TacStar Tailcap Switch?

I thought about just using my surefire and just clicking it on/off but I like the idea of having a switch to be able to control the light a little easier while maintianing a good grip on the weapon.

Thanks for the input!

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Question raysheen, I can appreciate your hesitation but what about using only their tailcap switch? Their pressure switch works with a Surefire 6P?

I'm actually surprised Surefire doesn't make a switch like this for their lights. I know they have it in their high end weapon lights but for HD (i.e. not LEO patrol) I don't wan't hundereds of dollars tied up in this.

So, again, what would you think if I got a Surefire 6P but used the TacStar Tailcap Switch?

I thought about just using my surefire and just clicking it on/off but I like the idea of having a switch to be able to control the light a little easier while maintianing a good grip on the weapon.

Thanks for the input!

Gideon
    Just my opinion, but I'd be more comfortable with that setup since it's the light that has to really take the abuse if of the recoil. As long as the switch works well for you then I wouldn't hesitate using it....

I see nothing wrong with a 20 for HD i prefer a 20 for hunting Birds but do use a 12 only because no one made a 20 for HD

Gideon,

I've been thinking similar/same.
    What if my wife who is small sized and a total gun newbie were home alone. Could she handle the heft and recoil of a 12 ga. to a high degree of success. I don't think so.

The following pretty much reflects my own feelings toward as much; http://fringe.davesource.com/Fringe/...s_20G_Shotguns

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

That's my thoughts Janq; I can handle a 12 but the question is why do so? If I can have effective (that's the key word) stopping power with a 20 in a more compact, lighter, less punishing platform, it seems prudent to consider it. I read the article you referenced and it makes some good points.

I do want a light on-board because that makes total sense to me.

Since it's a pump, I won't be able to used the standard tailcap or I'll have to turn it on and leave it on and I don't like that idea. So maybe I order the Surefire 6P and the switch and try it at the range. If it can handle a couple hundered rounds then all is good.

Only bad thing about a switch is the fact that if it does fail there's no way to bypass it. Oh well, the chance of us experiencing a break in at my house are just a hair above zero.

Good thoughts and I'd like to hear from anyone who's got some similar equipment/setup.

Thanks
    Gideon

My wife has a Rem 870 in 20 ga. It was her first shotgun and she liked it fine. Recoil was not too bad. I like for a home defense,as it a jr. model with short stock and barrel, so I can move around with it easily.

12ga has more ammo options available over the 20 ga. Some light recoil buckshot on the market. Also the WIN AA feather light low noise/ low recoil loads are what we use in our SxS shotguns, they actually have less recoil that many 20 ga guns. You can have the forcing cone lengthened to reduce the felt recoil.

Links