YouTube Accuracy test

YouTube Accuracy Test

This is a discussion on YouTube Accuracy Test within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have seen a slew of Youtube video's comparing different calibers or different bullet weights and a large portion of the videos they do not ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 9 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By AzQkr

Thread: YouTube Accuracy test

YouTube Accuracy test

I have seen a slew of Youtube video's comparing different calibers or different bullet weights and a large portion of the videos they do not use a Ransom Rest to take the human out of the equation, why? It just seems so obvious and the right thing to do?
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

Pick one.

1. Ignorance

2. Don't want to spend the money on specialized equipment.

3. Because it's not so much about accurate data as it is about self.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret and yooper71 like this.

Sponsor
    I have no need to "see" actual ransom rest results. The majority of guns are more accurate than humanly possible. Knowing that's fact, it's the shooters skill with a particular handgun/long gun that's at fault should the groups not be up to anothers presumed standard.

It's nearly always the shooter, not the gun that's the determining factor where accuracy is concerned.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I agree with both of the above posts. I do, however, like to see accuracy tests from mechanical rests. For me it's more of a geek thing. I also like bullet test videos and articles. Again, just fun to look at. I don't run out and buy a handgun or ammo based on that stuff, but I enjoy reading and watching vids about it.

Post #2 nails it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the videos testing? Are they testing the accuracy of a specific rifle? Are they testing different loads from one rifle? Then yes, a rest is essential.
    Psalm 144:1

Sponsor
    testing: A New Standard for Handgun testing - The Truth About Guns

Creating objective reviews of handguns is harder than I thought it would be. I feel I’ve done my level best to standardize testing, but at some point, a sandbag accuracy test doesn’t tell the whole story of how a gun runs. The starkest example I can think of is the SD9VE I tested in late 2012. That gun could be made accurate off a bag, but start to speed up and group sizes got big quickly thanks to the craptastic trigger the gun ships with. I knew I needed a standard that covered a variety of shooting situations to convey a coherent review…

Ransom Rest | Ransom International Corporation

So we get someone to start using a 500.00 ransom rest or similar product in testing handguns like above. We hypothetically will learn the weapons intrinsic accuracy/mechanical accuracy as it were. Now what do we do with that information after the testing with OUR own same weapon? If it's not humanly possible to be as accurate as the gun to begin with, what does that mechanical accuracy really represent for us when we are firing it?

Mechanical accuracy gives me data but it's not something I'm capable of duplicating. Lets say I ransom rested my Rem 722 300 Savage with 10x scope. I find it's capable of .510" 5 shot groups at 100 yrds. I shoot it off the bipod prone and can't hold less than .788" for 5 rounds. I then shoot standing unsupported as that's how I'll be firing it in the real world of dear hunting, and discover I can't hold less than 1.21" 5 shot groups.

Which 5 shot group gives me more useful information?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Yummm... a little unsung accuracy hero, that classic Remington 722 in combination with the .300 Savage cartridge is.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links