How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved? - Page 2

How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved?

This is a discussion on How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bad Bob DPMS made parts for the military for decades. Shoot it and see what you need/want to change. Which of those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved?

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    DPMS made parts for the military for decades. Shoot it and see what you need/want to change.
    Which of those parts are used in their civilian rifles?
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Which of those parts are used in their civilian rifles?
    I would assume any... Front sight, small parts, receivers.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    u can get some nice complete uppers/lower combos from palmetto state for not much more

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I would assume any... Front sight, small parts, receivers.
    Interesting. Im curious because we have seen with many manufacturers that just because they make one lineup that is good, that doesnt mean that quality is the same in other product line ups. Ive heard a lot more good things about the .308 DPMS rifles than I have the .223.

Which do you think it better 1/7 or 1/8 twist?

If you are looking for a pre built budget AR, the M&P sport and ruger ar 556 are hard to beat if you don't want to build something.
    You can look the internet over and won't find better advice than this. The Ruger 556 is an awsome AR for the money. All I did to mine was ad a Magpul forend, single point sling and mount and a Meprolight.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Interesting. Im curious because we have seen with many manufacturers that just because they make one lineup that is good, that doesnt mean that quality is the same in other product line ups. Ive heard a lot more good things about the .308 DPMS rifles than I have the .223.
    I would say the main difference is quality control, such as the pressure testing done performed on bolt carrier groups, either by the batch or some numeric order.

I can't remember what the bolt test is called, but it's standard by contract requirements on some military contracts, among other things.

Also, some makers that make both mil and civy weapon have contracts saying that they cannot assemble both on the same lines, building or even property, even though the same basic parts are used.

There is a diffence in the quality and the qc that money does buy; however, the importance of that is always debatable to the users end.
    Havok, Phaedrus, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Spark456 View Post
    It depends on the ammo you are shooting. For most people, 1:8 would probably be a better choice.
    Spark456 and 5lima30ret like this.

Distinguished Member
    In the long run, might be better off building one yourself. Taking time to piece all the quality you want into a fine machine.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark456 View Post
    That depends on what you intend to shoot. All of mine are 1:7, however I only shoot 55 grain to 77 grain bullets.

I had a 308 it was fine, just decided I did not need it. One of my shooting buddies has a 223 and it has been flawless and accurate for about 8 years.
    Spark456 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Just start with something better or build to your own specs.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    You can look the internet over and won't find better advice than this. The Ruger 556 is an awsome AR for the money. All I did to mine was ad a Magpul forend, single point sling and mount and a Meprolight.
    I would agree with this - based solely on knowing how Ruger builds their 15's and even their own parts, as well as the quality of build that goes into every Ruger firearm. But every Ruger AR I've seen on the open market so far is in the $1500 range. I know they have an entry level rifle but haven't seen one yet.
    BTW: My first AR 15 was a Colt purchased in the 80's and it was nowhere near the quality of build that today's entry level 15's are. AR platform rifles have come a long way in 30 years. They'll all outshoot the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    I would agree with this - based solely on knowing how Ruger builds their 15's and even their own parts, as well as the quality of build that goes into every Ruger firearm. But every Ruger AR I've seen on the open market so far is in the $1500 range. I know they have an entry level rifle but haven't seen one yet.
    BTW: My first AR 15 was a Colt purchased in the 80's and it was nowhere near the quality of build that today's entry level 15's are. AR platform rifles have come a long way in 30 years. They'll all outshoot the shooter.
    buds has them in stock for 630.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links