How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved?

This is a discussion on How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So LGS has these, new in box for under $500. Trigger is heavy and gritty. That would be the first obvious replacement. Is the quality ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How much can a DPMS $500 AR15 be improved?

So LGS has these, new in box for under $500. Trigger is heavy and gritty. That would be the first obvious replacement. Is the quality of the trigger telling of the rest of the firearm's part/fit/finish quality?
    Home cooked always tastes better.

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    It could be improved as much as you want it to be. The question you should be asking is, "is it worth the time and money to improve it?". my answer, which I think would be the popular opinion would be no its not worth it.

If you are looking for a pre built budget AR, the M&P sport and ruger ar 556 are hard to beat if you don't want to build something.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

What is your experience and history with the AR platform?
    rcsoftexas and Spark456 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What is your experience and history with the AR platform?
    Thousands of rounds through a Colt LE6920 and a Daniel Defense, never owned one myself.

Edit: I guess a better answer is also complete disassemblies with the exception of removing the barrel and gas block and tube from the upper.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Home cooked always tastes better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    Thousands of rounds through a Colt LE6920 and a Daniel Defense, never owned one myself.

Edit: I guess a better answer is also complete disassemblies with the exception of removing the barrel and gas block and tube from the upper.
    I have seen DPMS contract guns come in from the Middle East for resale that were pretty beat up, yet functional, so I suppose that it would all depend on what you want and expect from them.

Personally, for all practical purposes, at least for what most people would want an AR for, I don't see why they could not have some upgrades done within reason.

The problem is that I see, is many people put more money in them than they have the training and expertise to get out of it.

It all comes down to you.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

They are OK, if you go over them and make sure they were assembled properly, and make some functional upgrades. Make sure the castle nut is staked. Make sure the gas key is staked properly. Make sure the barrel chamber is true 5.56 spec.

Check the extractor spring. I replace them ALL with Colt Gold springs, which are exceptional. Put a H buffer in it. Put a BCM PNT trigger in it.

I'd be comfortable using one for defense with the functional upgrades and QC checks above.
    TheRiddler likes this.

Well, if you swap-out enough parts, there'll hardly be any DPMS left to...worry about.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You could get an M&P Sport II at grabagun for $525. Surely that's a better deal.
    RebelSoul and 5lima30ret like this.

I don't agree with the AR15 fanboys who claim the DPMS to be not worthy of owning. If you're not planning on using it for combat and only plan to use it at the range or keep it around the ranch for occasional critter control, then it will serve you well.
    Now, if you plan on burning thru 10,000 rounds of ammo and keep going you may want to consider a higher grade build, but if not, then you have a good rifle.
    Yes the trigger is gritty, but most AR triggers are, so spend some $$ to put a drop in Timney 3Lb trigger in it and it will become a different rifle.
    Ditch the cheap buttstock and grip and replace with Magpul if you want...not mandatory though.
    Change out the foregrip if you want to go with something with mounting options...maybe add an extended top rail fore grip so you have room for a scope...or just put some Magpul open sights on it...it's all up to you and how you intend to use the rifle.

My DPMS has never hiccup'd, never failed in any way, and always been a pleasure to shoot. I did add most of the upgrades I mentioned and still have well under a grand in it, and it's a blast to spend time at the range with it. I doubt it will ever see 10,000 rounds though :) And if it ever does, I'll just change out the worn parts if they need changing.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

My brother has a dpms and he likes it, it's heavy but it does the job.

Like others have said add about $75-$100 to your budget and you can get a M&P-15 Sport or AR-556 and then you probably won't need any "upgrades"!
    Good luck!
    Mike1956 and OlCop like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Administrator
    You're not going to save a dime going that route. You'll end up spending far more improving that if you just bought what you want in the first place.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

DPMS made parts for the military for decades. Shoot it and see what you need/want to change.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Nothing wrong with them other than the looks you get at the range from the AR snobs.
    Glock 19 • Glock 26 • Springfield Armory XDS .45 • Kahr CM9 • S&W Shield 9MM

GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Quote Originally Posted by colding View Post
    Nothing wrong with them other than the looks you get at the range from the AR snobs.
    Especially when you out shoot them.
    BigJon10125 and colding like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links