need suggestions for fixing up mossberg 590

This is a discussion on need suggestions for fixing up mossberg 590 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a friend is giving me an older 590 with a field barrel( 12 gauge) I plan speed feed stocks mag extension and 18 inch barrel. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need suggestions for fixing up mossberg 590

need suggestions for fixing up mossberg 590

a friend is giving me an older 590 with a field barrel( 12 gauge) I plan speed feed stocks mag extension and 18 inch barrel. All the above should only set me back around 200 priced at midway. ( barrel 79, ditto stocks and extension around 40. Anybody have any other ideas for add ons?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Sounds like you got it covered, I suggest you do yourself a favor and keep it simple
    "Just blame Sixto"

JT
    Why do you want to put an 18" barrel on it? It comes with a 20", and if you go with a shorter barrel you are going to either have to get a shorter magazine and loose magazine capacity, or have the magazine sticking out beyond the barrel. Neither of which is a good option, IMO. I would much rather keep the extra 2” of barrel.

I’ve had a 590 for a number of years, and the only thing I would change on it is adding ghost ring sights.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Turbo, if your barrel retaining nut screws into the end of the mag tube, you won't be able to add and extension.

Good choice on the stock and barrel. You could add either ghost-rings, or a tritium/white front sight...

I have not gotten it yet I am begining to suspect it is a 500 not a 590 as he told me it was set up as a field hunting gun. Terry is an ex lurp guy and knows his guns but he may have misunderstood when I asked him if it was a 590. since it is a gift I am not going to complain whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    I have not gotten it yet I am begining to suspect it is a 500 not a 590 as he told me it was set up as a field hunting gun. Terry is an ex lurp guy and knows his guns but he may have misunderstood when I asked him if it was a 590. since it is a gift I am not going to complain whatever it is.
    If your Mossy is a 500, then I have a speedfeed stock sitting in my closet that's doing nothing. It came off the gun when I switched to a SpecOps system a month ago. The gun was a LEO trade in so the stock is in pretty decent shape. Some small scratches and such but nothing at all major. It still looks good. It's a 2+2 with 2 rounds on either side. Your more than welcome to have it if it fits your shotty. I'll never use it and it's just taking up space. I'd rather give it to a fellow gun guy than toss it out sometime in the future! LOL!

Let me know when you get your shotty if it will fit.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

wow thank you for the generous offer I hope to get it next week at work so I will pm you when it arrives

Sounds like you got it covered, I suggest you do yourself a favor and keep it simple
    +1 what SIXTO said...keep it simple and dont waste money on "bling" add-ons.

I know exactly what your are talking about all the bs stuff you see in the guns catalogs folding stocks side saddle heat shields all have there place but all I want is a simple hd pump shotgun. It will end up being a 2 for because it comes with a 28 inch field barrel( I don't know what choke) I believe it was turkey hunting. Picture when I get it. Terry my friend is a great guy has about 50 - 60 guns former lurp medic.

I will say that a good tactical-light on a HD shotgun has it's merits...everything else just make it heavy.

Laser sight along with that tactical light. Sounds stupid but I'll look for the article if you like. It argued convincingly that the laser sight Mossberg is putting on its 410 geared to women for HD is very effective in target acquisitions.

I suppose but we are talking about a 12 gauge shotgun at short range. My wife won't touch my firearms and tolerates them at best. I don't think I need a laser at those ranges. I do own an xml for my 45 xd I could probably attach it to the gun at some point. I am supposed to get it tomorrow so we will see...

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    I will say that a good tactical-light on a HD shotgun has it's merits...everything else just make it heavy.
    +1
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have a 590 with ghost ring sights, I would love to cut the barrel down to 18" but it would cost to much, the 2" add in the bush and I find a full load of slugs makes it barrel heavy. I put a heat shield on mine, as I shoot a lot of rounds when I do shoot it. Also installed a Spec-ops recoil reducing stock on it, makes a big differance to recoil firing 3" magnum slugs!! Does interfere with the controls a bit so you have to relearn how to use the gun.

well he brought it in today and it is a 500 not the 590, Rob you are correct you can not get a mag extension on it but it does carry 7. The gun is in great shape but is all in camo. I am thinking I may either pass on changing it into a defense gun as I would prefer all black it would look dumb with a camo receiver and black pump and stock. By the time you refinish it and add the barrell and pump I am thinking I might as well pop for the rem 870 my local gun store has.( all d one up has the mag extension 18 barrel 360.00 out the door. How hard would it be to refinish the receiver? the camo looks to be paint over the black finish? A new barrel is around 80 bucks plus shipping and a black pump is 20 with the speed feed stock that gddyup offered here it would be cheaper then buying a new gun I could always keep it as a field gun although I don't hunt or I could take up skeet or sporting clays.. here is the rem: pictures of the moss to follow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links