Looking to buy a good 308 rifle

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a good 308 rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am perplexed as to what to do. I want a good semi-auto 308 rifle. I prefer a short barrel, with a folding stock, decent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a good 308 rifle

I am perplexed as to what to do. I want a good semi-auto 308 rifle. I prefer a short barrel, with a folding stock, decent accuracy, easy to find parts.

I like the Springfield M1As. The new Socom II model has to short barrel and I can get a collaspible stock for it and mags/parts are easy to find. But the cost of the rifle and finding one right now is hard.

I could go with a regular M1A but long barrel.

Tromix makes both a Saiga conversion with folding stock, short barrel, with either galil or FBMG mags nut I am concerned about parts later down the road.

They also make a Galil copy but I have the same worry.

Red Jacket Firearms also makes a 308 on an AK action but high cost. If I spend $1500 on one of these I can buy the Springfield.

What other options do I have and what are your other opinons?

Assistant Administrator
    One other option tho - forget folding stock - a nice used FAL!! Or even an L1A1 if well built. I enjoy these both but the Imbel based FAL rocks!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I have a fixed stock L1A1 that I like very much

But a PTR91 might fit you better

http://www.ptr91.com/product_pages/ptr91kpf.html
    Last edited by pgrass101; August 24th, 2007 at 09:06 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

There are plenty of CETME or HK91 style rifles around in my area, and the HK collapsible stock is available. Magazines are cheap, I've seen them for less than $5 a magazine. Try that with M14 mags. You can find good scope mounts, mags, and stocks everywhere online. There are a lot of different stocks and muzzle brakes/ flash hiders seen on these but most go for around $700 or so bucks around here.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I did exactly the research you are doing now a few months ago. Basically, your options are

Saiga .308 - I wasn't too impressed with the Saiga's I handled. You can put a lot of work into one and come out of it with a nice gun, but I would rather it be nice to start out with. At least they're cheap.

FAL - Nice guns that many people swear by. There are some issues with english vs. metric mags (I still don't quite understand that one), and the adjustable gas system just seems gimmick-ey to me, but they are good guns.

Springfield M1A - M1A's are very nice guns, and consequently, they cost a bundle. If you have the money, they're great. Mags are expensive though.

Norinco M14 knockoff - Cheap, and some people are perfectly satisfied with them. I heard too many horror stories of soft metal parts and poor workmanship to buy one, though.

DPMS/Bushmaster AR-10 - I've heard good things about these. Never shot one though. I like the AR platform, but in my case, I already had an AR-15, and wanted to branch out.

HK91 - Pricey and no customer service, but it's an HK - that's just what they do. You will get a high quality firearm though.

CETME - I heard that there are good CETME's and bad CETME's. If you can tell the difference, at least they're cheap.

PTR91 - This is what I chose. They have a good reputation, they're affordable, and they're darn close to a true HK. I really wish they had a bolt-hold-open and forward assist, but that's just me being greedy. I also need to pick up/make a port buffer so it doesn't mangle the brass so much. It's nice that G3 Mags are a dime a dozen.

So, there you go. Good luck in your research.

If you intend to do a lot of shooting or want to participate in high-power competition you'd be ahead of the game to leave off the short-barreled SOCOM and get a full-sized M1A. I love shooting my M1A and wouldn't half enjoy the shorty version.

Assistant Administrator
    FAL - Nice guns that many people swear by. There are some issues with english vs. metric mags (I still don't quite understand that one), and the adjustable gas system just seems gimmick-ey to me, but they are good guns.
    Bob - the FN-FAL is Belgian in origin and so metric dimensions. The L1A1 was (per Falklands War for example) the British main battle rifle and based on inch.

The gas system is not actually bad at all - and once setup (I find #2 usually good to go) ..... it is reliable. Over time and much ammo - there can be a need to ream the gas port to remove carbon build up, which can eventually obturate.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Bob - the FN-FAL is Belgian in origin and so metric dimensions. The L1A1 was (per Falklands War for example) the British main battle rifle and based on inch.
    well, that's not half as complicated as it seemed. Thanks.

I got a used Armalite .308 for $1200, with about $300 of extras. With a short brl, 18 or less, you will have a very loud rifle.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    I got a used Armalite .308 for $1200, with about $300 of extras. With a short brl, 18 or less, you will have a very loud rifle.
    Not to mention the muzzle blast off of that sucker will rock your world. I dont mind recoil, recoil does not bother me, but the muzzle blast on anything less than 18" is just down right wicked.

Plus, I fail to see the utility in a "shorty" .308 Win. It serves no purpose in my opinion other than looking cool to your other unknowing friends. Try benching a 16" .308 Win out to 300-400 meters. You'd be surprised how much more accuracy is in those next four + inches of barrel.

Folding stock ? What is the need for that ? Unless this is a patrol rifle that cannot be afixed inside the cruiser properly. If you were an LEO or military MP. In which case this would not be of concern.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I have an M1A and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

I would go with the full length barrel and then an after-market stock. I plan this for my next rifle because the full-length is too long to store or transport in my trunk easily. I may go for the SOCOM for the shorter barrel length, but reaching out there is the way to go in my opinion.

I didn't notice, might have missed, but there is also the AR10 option. AR15 platform chambered for .308. Makes it American made and all interchangable parts with the AR guns.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I have to vote for the FN it's not that expensive and they come in many flavors. This is my Izzy and my twin G1's The gas system is a dream, if you buy or reload large lots of ammo you can tune the gun to a more tame setting.
    Attached Images
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Lots of good info

I appreciate the comments. You have given me a great deal to think about and I will continue to research. I will let you know what I find out.

i'm eyeballing the springfield M1A for my next purchase. it's like having a crush all over again
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    I didn't notice, might have missed, but there is also the AR10 option. AR15 platform chambered for .308. Makes it American made and all interchangable parts with the AR guns.
    I believe the AR-10's do not share many parts with the AR-15. Despite being built on the same platform, the extra length of the .308 cartridge means a different lower reciever with a larger mag-well. The upper, bolt, and bolt carrier are also similarly up-sized, IIRC.

External accessories (rails, stocks, sighting systems, etc) would be interchangable though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links