US Army's new sniper rifle. - Page 2

US Army's new sniper rifle.

This is a discussion on US Army's new sniper rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; cool...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    cool

.416 Barrett is a true sniper rifle. Capable of shots as far as 2500M.

My son is in a sniper platoon in the 101st, they are getting the XM110 in Oct. They will be keeping all of their other rifles and not truning them in. They will be at Benning competing in the International Sniper Competition and soon after that in Afghanistan. I will keep notes on the rifle as he fills me in and keep you posted.

My only worry is that someone will want to get rid of the M24, it is a great platform and does not throw brass to jesus for people to maybe see. So in certain scenarios the M24 will be needed.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Soooooo............ Any chance of picking up some "surplus" M24s through DCM any time soon????

Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    .416 Barrett is a true sniper rifle. Capable of shots as far as 2500M.
    And your point is ?

I suppose any rifle .308 or better is capable of 2500 meter hits assuming you calculate wind drift, magnus effect, coriolis effect, breathing control, trigger control, proper scope, mounts, and a good spotter.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Armalite just copied the SR-25 system, and called it the SASS.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...0-49488ec48776
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Soooooo............ Any chance of picking up some "surplus" M24s through DCM any time soon????
    Only after they make some trips to Korea, Columbia, and Iraq. After that then.... still no. It'd be real nice though.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    ...It's a premium AR-10.

The M4 will reach out to 400+ yards if you do your part, and its big brother will do even better. The M24/M40 are both sufficient for longer ranges, and though I scratch my head at the caliber they are still good for 800+ yards. The Barrett reaches out and touches at well beyond these distances, so no need for that. Even in the DMR role, we have the M14.

What can this AR-10 variant do that these others can't?

Color me unimpressed.

-B

Try carrying the Barrett or the M-24 around all day, then ask.

Everybody talks about the rifles but always forgets about the ammo, scope and shooter. A sniper rifle is a SYSTEM. It has 4 main components. The rifle, the ammo, the scope and the shooter. ALL four elements have GOT to fit together to be effective and good. I was taught to use the XM-21 rifle in Nam. We practiced doing 900 meter shots on metal targets so we were all confident in our rifles' abilities to hit at long distances with semi-automatic fire. There is nothing wrong with bolt action or semi-auto sniper rifles. Both types work BUT the semi-automatic fire rifles, especially at closer ranges, let the sniper engage more targets a lot quicker. In the heat of combat, a bolt action rifle is NOT something I would want after having trained with a good semi-automatic fire rifle. This argument is precisely why our forces adopted the M1 Garand rifles just prior to WW2 and replaced the O3A3 rifles of the same caliber. Now the same idea is being applied to sniper rifles in our military systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Morgan View Post
    Try carrying the Barrett or the M-24 around all day, then ask.
    That was my first thought when I read through the entire thread.

If comprimised I want a weapons system that capable off allowing to deny the tango's entry to anything less than 100 meters to my position, or call in CAS if assets are available.

As for the Olympic SASS. I've heard good things about this rifle, assuming your system has the necessary components to do what it's intended for. Many people forget that any rifle with a bad scope or poor mounting solution is going to be a colossal waste of time since your shot's may be every where but the intended target. I prefer to a have one piece scope mount, preferably the Knights or LaRue Tactical SPR-E mount. These can maintain repeat zero when torn off the rifle for any rifle reason. Leave the ring mounts at home, or don't come to fight.

There's a reason that snipers are compelled to dial up their skill with a bolt action .22Lr or Airgun prior to applying those skill in any larger centerfire caliber. When you can hold dime sized groups with a bolt action .22Lr @ 100 meters then your probably ready to replicate those skills with a larger centerfire caliber.

The semi automatic sniper weapons systems is a most logical choice in a new era of the war on terror. If you notice, most snipers have a J Point or Doctor riding somewhere on there weapon system. This is for a reason.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links