Mounting my Optic

Mounting my Optic

This is a discussion on Mounting my Optic within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is this the recommended thread lock to use? Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Mounting my Optic

Mounting my Optic

Is this the recommended thread lock to use? Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

Senior Moderator
    What parts of it are you looking to use threadlocker for?

You will probably need tools to take apart whatever you use that on.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    What parts of it are you looking to use threadlocker for?

You will probably need tools to take apart whatever you use that on.
    Good point, maybe on the 30 mm optic mount per RS Regulate AK System (Upper).
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yup. That's what I use. Never had a problem with stuff backing out or getting loose. Still comes back apart easy enough if necessary.

Don't use red or green as they are very difficult to take apart. Blue 242 hold well but will allow you to take it apart without destroying the hardware, most of the time.

If you use just a single drop of Blue on the threads you will be able to easily remove the bolt later with the proper tool. Do not use red.

Loctite 222 screw lock.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Red Loctite gets used for things that should never come apart. Blue Loctite gets used on everything that needs to stay put but could be subject to replacement or removal.

The same bottle of red Loctite has been in my father's cleaning kit for many years. The blue bottle was probably purchased within the last couple.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    You DO NOT want to use Red loctite. In order to remove it without damaging the part, you would probably need to use heat.

Blue loctite is my choice for firearms related attachments that are NOT directly associated with optics. As an example, the screws mounting a Weaver or Picatinny rail get "blue" - which is 242.

My go-to for putting scope mounts/rings onto rails, and just about any other optic-related choice is Loctite "Purple", also known as "vibra-tight". That's Loctite 222 for anyone that doesn't want to get cross-threaded. I find that you can use a little bit more, spread out evenly, and still get good results. Also, you are able to break it free with less risk of damaging fasteners should you need to.

My general practice is to remove the rails, degrease, and then re-attach with Blue. Once that has set, I will put on the rings or mounts, put the scope into place, and carefully torque everything, and verify with a quick boresight that things are close to lining up. Once that is done I begin the process of loctite, one bolt or fastener at a time. I'll remove the bolt completely, apply the loctite, and then re-fasten and re-torque. Normally this makes sure that the entire mount is correctly in place and evenly torqued when you are done.

Blue.
    NRA Life Member
    CC Permit Holder
    I have black rifle disease

Sponsored Links