Browning shotgun

This is a discussion on Browning shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a browning automatic 12 ga , I've had it around for about 30 yrs now. It has Browning arms company ST Louis MO ...

Thread: Browning shotgun

Browning shotgun

I have a browning automatic 12 ga , I've had it around for about 30 yrs now. It has Browning arms company ST Louis MO stamped on barrel, browning trad mark on each side of the receiver, serial # B41655 . Has no model # I beleive it was made in the USA by Remington between 1905- 1948 its a good old shotgun, still use it . Question; Is there any way i can find the year its was made..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Try this link:

Date your Browning Firearm

You will need to know which model shotgun you have...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I had a old 20 gauge Remington auto, USA made with the Browning action...I looked it up and found it to be made around 1952-1955.
    I was suprised to find it was not made in Belgium,but right here in the USA!...Good luck on your search...let us know...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IIRC Both Remington and Stevens made the browning a5 patent guns . Remington also made the Browning a5 shotguns while Belgium was under Nazi occupation during ww2. If you have an " American Browning" and need parts replaced you will need to use Remington model 11 parts not European Browning parts for the most part since they are in fact different.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have a browning automatic 12 ga , I've had it around for about 30 yrs now. It has Browning arms company ST Louis MO stamped on barrel, browning trad mark on each side of the receiver, serial # B41655 . Has no model # I beleive it was made in the USA by Remington between 1905- 1948 its a good old shotgun, still use it . Question; Is there any way i can find the year its was made.. [/QUOTE]

NO freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements).'' Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    1940-1946 From 1940 to 1946 production of the Auto-5 was turned over to Remington. Serial number is on the side of receiver. "ABC" for American made Version. (A=16 gauge, B-12 gauge, C=20 gauge) 1946+229,000-237,000

However Remington date coded some of the shotguns with their date codes . Look on the right side of the barrel next to the receiver for a stamp such as RR or whatever , then go to http://www.remingtonsociety.com/ques...ACKPOWDERX.htm to look up the date code if its found
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thank you all for your help. Redneck repairs, the right side has a ''E'' stamped on the barrel, the lelf side is to worn to read. acording to the chart on web site you gave me ''E'' represents the year 1936. That was to easy. Thanks again.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

Hi I am new here. My dad had one of those Browning A5 shotguns. My brother in law has it now, I have his target rifle. But is you want to know the year it was made here is the Browning site by serial number: Browning Date Your Firearm - Auto-5 Semi-Automatic Shotgun

By now you likely already have your answer; but I saw your question and thought I would say Hi, and throw in this resource that you or someone else happening across your question (like I did through Google) might find helpful. It is not the same as the one by Redneck Repairs as it covers all the Browning shotguns from Belgium through USA, back to Belgium, and then on to Japan, and not just the Remington years. Although I have not yet checked out the Remington link and it may cover more than I suspect.

Links