AR DI minimal lube test part 4: The count is now an astonishing 750! Video added

AR DI minimal lube test part 4: The count is now an astonishing 750! Video added

This is a discussion on AR DI minimal lube test part 4: The count is now an astonishing 750! Video added within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me recap for the sake of open disclosure. I have run 750 rounds through my AR with just the initial lubing (with a q-tip) ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By trevorus
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 2 Post By Nakyak
  • 1 Post By Sticks

Thread: AR DI minimal lube test part 4: The count is now an astonishing 750! Video added

Lead Moderator

Let me recap for the sake of open disclosure. I have run 750 rounds through my AR with just the initial lubing (with a q-tip) I showed in the first video. Of the 750 rounds I had three failures due to improper ammo that I shot without thinking about it not being tuned to the gun. It was an ammo failure, not a lube failure.

Since the last light load failure, without cleaning or lubing, I put 330 M193 rounds through it to bring the total number of rounds through the gun to 750. I could kick myself for introducing the marginal ammo into the test. But be that as it may, with the ammo the gun is tuned for, it was flawless - 747 rounds but with the "benefit" of the nastiness of the three rounds that failed.

Oh, the gun still hasn't been cleaned, but I am seeing some signs that the carrier speed is slowing some. But after 750 rounds with no additional cleaning or lubing, one would expect it to eventually fail.

Something I'm struggling with is how did it do this? There are only two possibilities: either FP-10 is a remarkable lube, or an AR will run for hundreds of rounds even dry and dirty. Common knowledge says an AR won't run dry. If that's true, then there's only one other answer - FP-10 is good stuff.

More later - I just got back from the range and it's time to eat!

This is pretty much a wrap-up video bringing the round count to the 750 mark:

darbo and patkelly4370 like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Anderson touts their coating process for running without lube. They ran it after washing with soap and water to remove all oil. If I could afford it, I'd love to do a torture test on a full build of their stuff.

Maybe your test just tells us that it only takes a little lube to keep an AR running.
    Tangle likes this.

30 days in Artic conditions, absolutely 0 lubrication and shooting hundreds of blanks with a BFA (blank firing adapter) that completely blocks the barrel because it is screwed in to the muzzle.
    The rifles functioned firing 100's of blanks, cycling even 3 round burst fire at the bad guys (British Royal Marines) during Operation Alpine Warrior.
    Carbon is a lubricant.
    AR DI minimal lube test part 4: The count is now an astonishing 750! Video added-img_2501.jpg
    And this was a happy day:)
    Bad Bob, 5lima30ret and Tangle like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Repopulating thread, isn't it?
    It's like buying four books to read one story.
    It's so much easier on searches to keep things together... if anyone were to want to.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Repopulating thread, isn't it?
    It's like buying four books to read one story.
    It's so much easier on searches to keep things together... if anyone were to want to.
    People lose interest in long threads. It would be hard to realize there had been an update as opposed to another reply. It would be difficult to find and keep up with updates mixed in with replies.

By using multiple threads with similar titles, one can use the search tool and find all parts easily.

If all the parts were intermixed with replies in one thread it could easily become confusing trying to figure out which part a post was referring to.

With separate threads for each part, it consolidates all the replies that pertain to a particular part.
    TX expat likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Good lord, Is this find fault with anything Tangle does Saturday? The guy can't do a specified test without his lube choice, amount, and forum thread posting habits being questioned. *roll eyes*
    PAcanis and Tangle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    People lose interest in long threads. It would be hard to realize there had been an update as opposed to another reply. It would be difficult to find and keep up with updates mixed in with replies.

By using multiple threads with similar titles, one can use the search tool and find all parts easily.

If all the parts were intermixed with replies in one thread it could easily become confusing trying to figure out which part a post was referring to.

With separate threads for each part, it consolidates all the replies that pertain to a particular part.
    Good point with the long threads.
    It's a subjective thing, obviously. I like all my information in one spot.

AND?...........

Did it seize up at 780? Gun blew up?

C'mon Tangle, you had 5 threads on this subject in 1 week. What is the outcome?
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    30 days in Artic conditions, absolutely 0 lubrication and shooting hundreds of blanks with a BFA (blank firing adapter) that completely blocks the barrel because it is screwed in to the muzzle.
    The rifles functioned firing 100's of blanks, cycling even 3 round burst fire at the bad guys (British Royal Marines) during Operation Alpine Warrior.
    Carbon is a lubricant.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	174698
    I hated cleaning after shooting blanks.....
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Let me recap for the sake of open disclosure. I have run 750 rounds through my AR with just the initial lubing (with a q-tip) I showed in the first video. Of the 750 rounds I had three failures due to improper ammo that I shot without thinking about it not being tuned to the gun. It was an ammo failure, not a lube failure.

Since the last light load failure, without cleaning or lubing, I put 330 M193 rounds through it to bring the total number of rounds through the gun to 750. I could kick myself for introducing the marginal ammo into the test. But be that as it may, with the ammo the gun is tuned for, it was flawless - 747 rounds but with the "benefit" of the nastiness of the three rounds that failed.

Oh, the gun still hasn't been cleaned, but I am seeing some signs that the carrier speed is slowing some. But after 750 rounds with no additional cleaning or lubing, one would expect it to eventually fail.

Something I'm struggling with is how did it do this? There are only two possibilities: either FP-10 is a remarkable lube, or an AR will run for hundreds of rounds even dry and dirty. Common knowledge says an AR won't run dry. If that's true, then there's only one other answer - FP-10 is good stuff.

More later - I just got back from the range and it's time to eat!

This is pretty much a wrap-up video bringing the round count to the 750 mark:

What was your sustained rate of fire? Did you get the gun HOT or just dirty. The lack of lube will manifest itself as the parts get REALLY hot and dry. I have run M-16 full auto so much that the barrel is glowing red hot during training and they still worked, and this was field conditions using LSA. If the only contaminants introduced are from firing with a can I can envision this being a long test. Of course the other problem with lack of lube is accelerated wear, which you may or may not be able to see. It would be interesting to see before and after internal measurements of lube VS lube deprivation.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Carbon is a lubricant.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	174698
    Don't mean to drag this off-topic, but noticed this post. I have to wonder, Gman, if you ever squared up against a friend of mine who lives in West Yorkshire. He did training in Norway on a regular basis when he was in the Royal Marines from 1975 to 1982. He was tough, still is tough in ways that most can only dream about. Yet, you'd never know it just to have a casual conversation with him.

To get this back on-topic, Tangle, your video production skills are great. The 4-way split at the beginning of the video clip is cool! Always fun to watch your efforts.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links