A couple of AR questions

This is a discussion on A couple of AR questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1.) If you're a lefty, does a right handed AR work OK for you? Stag arms makes the left handed uppers but is it necessary? ...

Thread: A couple of AR questions

A couple of AR questions

1.) If you're a lefty, does a right handed AR work OK for you? Stag arms makes the left handed uppers but is it necessary? Seems like a waste since I haven't had a problem with any other right handed rifle before.

2.) Could you post a few links for trustworthy sites that have AR parts? I can find a lot of places online but have no idea which are my best bet for good prices and an upstanding business.

I'm planning to build my first AR soon. I have a coworker who owns a couple on board to help me pick out some parts and show me how to assemble it. I haven't decided what to build yet but I really like this one. I might do something similar... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=31312

2. Remove Ads

I have an older SP1 AR without the built-in brass deflecter and I haven't had any problems with the brass hitting me when it's fired left-handed.

darkvibe,

I'm not a lefty....so it's just what I've read....but most guys who have gotten the Stag Arms left handed AR's seem to absolutely love them. Stag arms re-engineered the AR for left handed shooters...so the controls..like the forward assist...would be on the left side.

If you could find someone who owns a Stag arms..left handed AR...I guess I would try it out. I think it would make a difference for you unless you are ambidextrous.

Good Luck,

Wayne

I am a lefty and now have a left handed Stag Arms AR. Before getting my AR I used my friends right handed AR and the way the stage was set up I had a barrel on my right and the shells would bounce off the barrel and I was burned several times from the hot shells. If I would of had my left handed AR at that time I would not of had the problem. Get the left handed AR.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

Bob,

Amen Brother.....I guess your experience is what I've read about in many forums. I'd say a huge double thumbs up for Stag Arms!!! The only company to re-engineer the AR for those of us that are left handed. Gotta love a company like that!!

Wayne

P.S.
    I don't have an affiliation with Stag Arms...Don't even own one...but I appreciate their commitment to our Left hand dominent brothers out there.

Lead Moderator
    Like the others, I started out with a RH AR. I absolutely love my Stag Arms LH . I used to get brass marks and powder on my face . Not anymore.
    I find myself wondering why I didn't get it sooner. As for parts, are you looking for accessories, or build parts?
    Check out AR15.com for lots more AR info too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    As for parts, are you looking for accessories, or build parts?
    I guess mostly accessories. That is unless there are cheaper places to order a stag arms upper other than the places listed on their website. (RSR Group and Jerrys sport center).

I think I'm covered on the build parts other than that. I'll get the lower local, at the next gun show to bypass getting it shipped to an FFL and the upper from Stag arms or a dealer of their parts.

Thanks for the replies, and the link to ar15.com.

Lead Moderator
    No problem. I have had good lick with Bravo Co. and Bright flashlights for accessories. I suggest trying the gun bone stock for a while before getting too many accessories though.
    I've seen a lot of guys (including me) go thru all kinds gear, then wind up going back to a near factory configuration. Parts and erector set type stuff is trendy and cool, but also is expensive and many times less than needed.
    If accessories are considered, check out AR15.com's used equipment section. I have found some good deals on parts and gear.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links