Whom uses a safety on a bolt ?

This is a discussion on Whom uses a safety on a bolt ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok first a confession , i traded for another rifle , its a savage scout . . I had to think tho , just who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whom uses a safety on a bolt ?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Ok first a confession , i traded for another rifle , its a savage scout . . I had to think tho , just who uses a bolt rifle safety , and when ?? For myself on bolt rifles i tend to keep an open chamber ( normal ) or an unlocked bolt as safeing the firearm Bolt guns are one area where i have no faith on mechanical safetys , how feel and practice you ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

M/70's are all "bolt safety" designs.............used my 1947 model for more years than I care to recall with zero issues!!!

Dog i have 2 pre 64 mod 70s and will pick up another , but still for some reason ( maby because over the years i have owned too many different actions i dont know ) i dont utilize safetys on bolt guns . I just never realised it untill i actualy traded for this savage with its tiny and some what hidden tang safety . Speaking for myself only , and not to say it is safer , or better . I dont close the bolt unless and untill it comes to the sholder for a shot , if the shot is missed and not taken , i turn the bolt to unlock the action to move or reposition , I just never engage the safetys on bolts .. strange i know , but i had to ask if anyone else does the same .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Senior Moderator
    I alwas use the safey.Most of my bolt actions are Remington.
    Its a simple thing to just "snick" the safety off and shoot.
    I dont see it as a big issue.

Here in Arkansas attempting to close an action on a deer or a coyote coming your way would alert everything within a hundred yard radius and you would never get off a shot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

LOL hot , one part of it could be that your snapshot is under 50 yards and out here on the plains of CO 400 is common . We literaly farm around trees to keep them , yall try and clear them down there .

Depends

I tend to lift the bolt to act as a safety if I am shooting. Otherwise, its not chambered at all. So, I don't use the safety myself.

I DO sometimes put on the safety if I am teaching a newbie. Even though i hammer in the 4 rules before they ever see a round, I still might put it on for them until they are more comfortable with the postion of the gun. Once they are nice and comfortable, I disengage the safety for them. Usually only need to do this for the first few rounds. Make sure they have the finger off the trigger thing down and then I let them do their own safety.

great point frag and thanx

I missed 1 too many animals with my 1903/A3 due to an empty chamber. I now almost always use the safety.
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Use the safety. My bolt triggers are around 3 pounds. I don't trust the mechanical safety as the end all saviour, hence I always follow safety guidlines.

Here in the Pacific NW, I don't dare use the open bolt technique. Too much brush and other stuff getting in the way that can snag the action and inadvertantly load you up with your safety off. If I have to cross through a particularly rough patch of ground where I have doubts, I will simply unload and secure my rifle before I attempt it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

When hunting, i always carry my bolt action guns chamber loaded with the safty on. Otherwise, shots at deer and hogs would be few and far between. The sound of a person working a bolt to load the gun is guaranteed to put a keen eared hog in instant motion.

Lead Moderator
    I use the safety , just like any other gun. Hunting and outdoor activity may get snow, dirt or other debris in the action , if left open. As mentioned, while hunting a safety clicking off is less likely to spook game than working the bolt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

not to Hijack the thread but what unit are you hunting this year Son???
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

OK....i am caught of gaurd here.....What is it about bolt rifles that cause any issue/question about the safety? I have always used them. Is there a problem I should be aware of???
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    not to Hijack the thread but what unit are you hunting this year Son???
    Depends on which hunt your refering to .

But I can tell you I avoid the wilson and trask units up by you like they are the plague. Far too many people up there and about 9 out of 10 of them are scary/stupid. You know its bad when the profesional guides stick to the roads because it is safer, and there is a higher probability of success because of all the brush beaters.

FYI: I hunt couger, bear, deer, and elk. Shoot me a pm.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    OK....i am caught of gaurd here.....What is it about bolt rifles that cause any issue/question about the safety? I have always used them. Is there a problem I should be aware of???
    I think you just summed it up right there.

However, I do agree with RR in that safeties can fail. Or I should say in my experience, safeties can be disengaged unintentionally. I have snagged a bolt safety before in brush and had it disengaged. I have also caught myself subconscously "thumbing the safety" as well.

That is why it is important to observe all guidlines of firearms safety. I really like the safety on my ruger scout rifle. It comes all the way around and not only has an internal safety, but it locks the firing bolt so that even if the internal failed, the bold can't fall and strike the primer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links