30-40 krag

This is a discussion on 30-40 krag within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know of a web site with information on a 30-40 krag 1898....

Thread: 30-40 krag

30-40 krag

Does anyone know of a web site with information on a 30-40 krag 1898.

2. Remove Ads

Here are some:

http://www.spanamwar.com/krag.htm

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/1896_krag/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-40_Krag

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/3040k.html

Wayne

P.S.

The second one is a pretty interesting read...I think Guns-N-Ammo did a pretty good job...IMHO

I can do the Krag Jorgensen. I've had this Krag since I was 18 and that was 32 years ago. They are wonderfully made rifles with workmanship that truely astounds. It'd cost a fortune to manufacture in 2007 dollars. It's a rifle that's a lot of fun to use. I've taken several deer and a blackbuck over the years with this Krag. I've also taken it to a local high-power match on a couple of occasions just to try out the magazine system on the rapid-fire stages. Reloading is a snap and there was ample time to get off ten aimed shots in the alloted time. I felt rushed and awkward but all scored. If a shooter got used to the rifle then rapid-fire groups would shrink. I came in third in "service rifle" at one match using the Krag.

The Sierra 220 grain round nose bullet and a moderate charge of IMR 4895 works well in the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Nice.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Krag collector

Quote Originally Posted by max7777 View Post
    Does anyone know of a web site with information on a 30-40 krag 1898.
    I am an owner of a 30-40 Krag 1898 Carbine (short barrel model). I hunt and maintenance it myself. The only mod on the rifle I have is it was fitted with springfield peep sights. It was in service for 3 years, as well as seen combat actions with 6 confirmed kills. Although the whitetail count is at 26. As well as 3 black bear. I found all the history and any other question I had at Antique and Collectable Firearms and Militaria Headquarters (fr) Completely awesome web page for old military rifles, as I am a collector. All you need is to input the serial number where prompted and it will give you all encounters with your long barrel. If you may not know, the krag gets its caliber number identification (30-40) from a system thats out dated. it refers to the caliber of the projectile 30 (7.62)-40 (weight of powder charge). It also has a very close ballistic comparison to the 30-06 Sprigfield. Any other questions you can email me. Im also quite accurate with the 7.65 Argentine Mauser. as well as countless Remington models. kstone1020@yahoo.com

You have an excellent specimen there bmcgilvray!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You have an excellent specimen there bmcgilvray!
    Thanks Bark'n;

While it ain't new out of the crate it is one of the really nice old guns in my menagerie and is one of the better examples of the type.

It is also one of the guns I've had the longest, having been purchased when I was all of 19. It is a fairly low serial number and very well could have left Springfield Armory in the same month my grandfather was born, March of 1894.

Posted a thread on .30-40 here once.
    Link:Krag Jorgensen .30-40
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links