AR question

AR question

This is a discussion on AR question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I am almost completely new to the AR-15 platform but I am seriously buying one for myself for my B-day in October. I ...

Thread: AR question

AR question

Ok, so I am almost completely new to the AR-15 platform but I am seriously buying one for myself for my B-day in October. I have been looking around and decided that I would really like a flat-top for mounting optics, but on the other hand I will more than likely have a wait a bit before I can drop the cash for the optics I want ( probably an eotech or aimpoint) so I would also like the option to have iron sights. With that in mind I was thinking of getting a flat-top with removable carry handle( Im guessing the carry handle still has the stock iron sights). My real question is how the models with removable carry handles are designed. Are they just flat-top recievers with a carry handle that mounts the same way the optics would? Also since the rifle will more than likely not have a full length rail on top, could I still use flip up rear sights with the stand front sight?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Go with a flat top with flip-up buis. They will work with your optics better down the road.

thats what I was thinkin. So the flip ups will work with the factory front sight, or do I have to pair up the flip ups?

They will work with the front sight post. For elevation difference, adjust the fsp.

cool thanks alot for the info.

No sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    Go with a flat top with flip-up buis. They will work with your optics better down the road.
    That was my original plan when I ordered my AR. I ordered my flat top AR with a flip up BIUS, with the idea of adding an Aim Point in the future when I got enough mad money saved. The AR too so long to come in that I ended up having the cash for the Aim Point before the rifle came in. Go figure.

Lead Moderator
    BUIS (backup iron sights work well and are low profile compared to a carry handle. A carry handle designed for removal will fit perfect on a flattop upper.
    Personally I like the BUIS system better , cause you can have a short optic mounted as well as a BUIS at the same time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have exactly what you were thinking about...a BushMaster AR-15, a flattop...I bought the E.O. Tech Holographic scope...the 512 (AA batteries)...I figure that if the E.O. Tech goes out, I'll just slap on the handle and have the iron sights...
    That holographic scope is great for 60 year old eyes...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go with the flat top, and either a Troy Industries or A.R.M.S flip up rear BUIS. I prefer the flip up from Troy, however the A.R.M.S 40L or 40LP is as good a sight. Both are manufactured to hard duty use specs. Both are QD to the 1913 rail and both use a spring loaded detent that releases the sight in the upward position should your optic go on the fritz or lose battery power.

Personally I keep the rear sight in the upright position along with my optic. I currently run an Aimpoint CompM3 with a LaRue Tactical Cantilever mount.

Since you have a fixed front sight block (gas block w/sight) you'll want to zero your rear sight at 100 meters (some prefer 50 meters). You should be able to keep .50 MOA with a decent barrel. I believe both the Troy and the A.R.M.S. sights are .50 MOA adjustable clicks both ele and wind.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Have you settled on a style yet? M4, 20", God-awful long Varmint, or (my favorite) the Dissipator
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    Ok, so I am almost completely new to the AR-15 platform but I am seriously buying one for myself for my B-day in October. I have been looking around and decided that I would really like a flat-top for mounting optics, but on the other hand I will more than likely have a wait a bit before I can drop the cash for the optics I want ( probably an eotech or aimpoint) so I would also like the option to have iron sights. With that in mind I was thinking of getting a flat-top with removable carry handle( Im guessing the carry handle still has the stock iron sights). My real question is how the models with removable carry handles are designed. Are they just flat-top recievers with a carry handle that mounts the same way the optics would? Also since the rifle will more than likely not have a full length rail on top, could I still use flip up rear sights with the stand front sight?
    I forget who, but someone makes a carry handle that fits on a picatinny or weaver rail.

Links