AK-47 Question

AK-47 Question

This is a discussion on AK-47 Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to purchase an AK-47. The problem I have encountered is the ammunition. All I can find is 7.62x39 rounds. It is few and ...

Thread: AK-47 Question

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

AK-47 Question

I'm looking to purchase an AK-47. The problem I have encountered is the ammunition. All I can find is 7.62x39 rounds. It is few and far between. Is there any other caliber round for the AK's like a .223? I plan on going to the range and out in the woods a lot with this, to shoot at paper, cans and such and I don't want expensive ammunition to be a problem.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    The 5.45x39 is another caliber these rifles have been chambered in since the '70s. Right now, it's probably the least expensive round available for them. (There are .223 AKs as well.)

You should really go to AK-47.net or AR15.com and read up on the various options - there are so many that your head will spin.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm looking to purchase an AK-47. The problem I have encountered is the ammunition. All I can find is 7.62x39 rounds. It is few and far between. Is there any other caliber round for the AK's like a .223? I plan on going to the range and out in the woods a lot with this, to shoot at paper, cans and such and I don't want expensive ammunition to be a problem.
    7.62x39 is quite a bit cheaper than .223 when bought in case quantity.
    Of course very few gunshops stock case quantities , so you need to
    consider mail order.

The selection of .223 chambered AKs is limited , and the magazines
    for them are both more expensive and sometimes less reliable.

An AK in 5.45x39 is a good choice also - but this caliber is more likely
    to be in short supply in the future.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I say go with the standard 7.62X39 AK. There's plenty of excellent deals online. Even including shipping cost you'll end up spending less than .20 per round.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x39

Compare .223 with 7.62X39!

An AK is 5.45x39 wouldn't be a bad idea either, it can be found cheaper that 7.62x39, BUT as fellow members have pointed out----> it might not always be as available.

All the cheap .223 seem to be steel cased, and most AR15 platform won't dig that much.

Aks won't have problems with steel case ammo at all!!!

VIP Member
    I think right now the best deal in 7.62 russian is with Ammoman.com at $189 per 1K delivered to your door
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    As others said. 7.62X39 is cheapest and easy to find, online if not local.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I'm sorry, but I disagree about it being cheapest. As I posted above, the 5.45 is available for a lot less in virtually every place that has it, at least according to the latest fliers I've gotten from the various wholesalers.

That said, I wouldn't buy anything but 7.62x39 for an AK. Mags are plentiful, ammo is reasonable relative to other available ammos, and it's effective.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    As I posted above, the 5.45 is available for a lot less in virtually every place that has it, at least according to the latest fliers I've gotten from the various wholesalers.
    For now.

About a year and a half ago, you could not get any 5.45. Nothing at all. This was at the same time it was hard to get 7.62, but it was even worse for 5.45. No Wolf was coming in, and nobody else made the caliber. People were selling off their 5.45 rifles.

The stuff you can get now is East European surplus. The problem is what happens when it is gone? If there are supply problems with Wolf again (or an import ban), you are out of luck. So if you get a 5.45, stock up on the cheap surplus now, because very few companies make the caliber.

Also it should be noted that all this cheap surplus ammo is corrosive.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    That said, I wouldn't buy anything but 7.62x39 for an AK. Mags are plentiful, ammo is reasonable relative to other available ammos, and it's effective.
    Mags and parts. Spares for the .556 guns are really few, far between and expensive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    (SNIP)So if you get a 5.45, stock up on the cheap surplus now, because very few companies make the caliber.

(SNIP)
    Which is exactly what I am doing....I have nice supply of Wolf too in this caliber....the last good deal I had was buying 1000 rounds for $125 from someone.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I've compared 7.62x39 rifles side by side with the 5.45x39 and I find the 5.45x39 to be superior. I've passed on buying one because of the total dry-up of the ammo a little over a year ago. If you want to stockpile ammo that's fine, but 22LR, 7.62x39 and .223 will never dry up. There is more and more 7.62x39 hunting ammo showing up on the market, too.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You can buy a case of 7.62 X 39 for as little as $189/1000 from Ammoman.com, delivered. Not bad. Of course if you want Federal, the price jumps up quite a bit, to $499

Links