Help - Sand in my shotgun - Page 2

Help - Sand in my shotgun

This is a discussion on Help - Sand in my shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another possibility is to take it into a hot shower. Hose it down really well. If you have a shower massage on a hose type ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Sand in my shotgun

Another possibility is to take it into a hot shower. Hose it down really well. If you have a shower massage on a hose type shower head it is even easier. Spray it down from every conceivable angle. Then shake it out, blow with compressed air, spray it down heavily with WD 40 (water displacing). Let it sit for a while then wipe it down and lubricate as usual. Works well as the water cleans off the dirt, sand, & grime, then the air and WD get rid of the excess water (if the water is really hot, most of it will evaporate of the hot metal).
    If you have synthetic stocks you can leave them on while doing this, if wood you will want to remove them first.
    This system works great on AR-15s!
    Funny you mention the shower. I was stationed aboard a Navy ship which had the sole mission of transporting Marine troops and all their equipment and gear. I remember when the Marines returned aboard the ship after many months "in country".

They were all absolutely filthy...I mean everything. The men, their gear...and their weapons. Everything was covered in a layer of that fine sand/dust you can only find in the Arabian Gulf.

I was in charge of a berthing area which held about 45 troops and their gear. This berthing area included a head (toilets, sinks, and showers).

During this back loading, I went down to get a report from the SSgt...and as I passed through the head, I noticed that the showers were all going full blast...each shower stall had about a dozen M-16s and M249's in there getting a blast of shampoo and hot water!

They were using shampoo because apparently it doesn't leave a residue when rinsed, and the hot water dries fast so that the troops could oil and lube their weapons very quickly. The SSgt told me that this was a tried and true trick for throughly cleaning their weapons for lubing and oiling so that the troops could turn their weapons in to the armory and get some much needed rack time.
    Last edited by Creature; September 12th, 2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling correction!

Been using hot water for years to clean all my firearms. Usually use Hoppe's #9 to degrease and clean away fouling. Then follow with a spray or just dunking under faucet with the water as hot as you can get it, until the parts are so hot you can barely hang onto them. Shake off excess water. Let air dry. Metal is hot enough that any moisture evaporates quickly. Reassemble when dry, and lube as recommended. Been doing it for over 30 years and have never had a problem wqith rust. Cheaper than buying all the latest gee whiz cleaners.

I can't even start to remember how many M1911s, M9s, M16s, M60s, M2 MG, and various other military small arms that I've given a good shower cleaning. It works great and when done properly, rust is not a problem!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    During this back loading, I went down to get a report from the SSgt...and as I passed through the head, I noticed that the showers were all going full blast...each shower stall had about a dozen M-16s and M249's in there getting a blast of shampoo and hot water!
    Yep. I've showered with an M16 more than once. Really hot water, let the weapon get hot, too so it dries faster.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Wink +1! YUP

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'd take an air can to it first... the same ones you use to clean your keyboard and computer. Once you clean all the sand out, take it apart and clean it peice by peice with a combo of the air can, oil and solvent. Should be good as new I would even go as far as maybe getting a sewing needle and digging out some of the sand in the tight cracks if needed.

Hope this helps
    That's the first thing I thought of too. Compressed air from one of those keyboard cleaner cans. I've gone the hot shower route, too. That works well. Pretty funny watching a whole platoon of infantry just off the Obstacle Course we called GREEN HELL down in Panama, packed into the barracks showers each showering with his weapon. But leaving his GUN alone.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links