Help - Sand in my shotgun

This is a discussion on Help - Sand in my shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of those little decorative bottles of sand fell off a shelf and broke right in the workings of my Mossberg 500 pump. There is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Sand in my shotgun

Unhappy Help - Sand in my shotgun

One of those little decorative bottles of sand fell off a shelf and broke right in the workings of my Mossberg 500 pump. There is sand everywhere.

I have disassembled the thing but I don't see how I can get all the sand out, short of washing every piece. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

thats about what it takes.... not hard to breakdown. use brake-kleen spray to wash out trigger assy. and such...
    Last edited by artz; September 12th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    One of those little decorative bottles of sand fell off a shelf and broke right in the workings of my Mossberg 500 pump. There is sand everywhere.

I have disassembled the thing but I don't see how I can get all the sand out, short of washing every piece. Any suggestions?
    I'd take an air can to it first... the same ones you use to clean your keyboard and computer. Once you clean all the sand out, take it apart and clean it peice by peice with a combo of the air can, oil and solvent. Should be good as new I would even go as far as maybe getting a sewing needle and digging out some of the sand in the tight cracks if needed.

Hope this helps

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    agitating each piece in an alcohol bath should clear the really small bits that you can't get to. Just lube it back up well afterwards.

VIP Member
    Now is as good a time as any to expand your knowledge base.....

Totally strip it, they aren't that bad to detail strip.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thumbs up

Thanks to you both. I used a combination of both suggestions.

I blew out everything with brake cleaner spray then worked it over with Break Free and tooth picks. Reassembled, gave it a final coat of Break Free and am now letting it soak in before a final wipe and test fire.

One last question, is there anything that needs grease or is Break Free enough?

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Now is as good a time as any to expand your knowledge base.....

Totally strip it, they aren't that bad to detail strip.
    I did. Took down everything but the trigger assy. Quite a little puzzle until you figure out how everything interrelates. It DID expand my knowledge base.

Now strip it down a couple of times a week...until you can do it blindfolded and upside down...Major Payne-style.

after the fact but here is a video how to to field stripping it
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcu-G2x4b7I

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Now strip it down a couple of times a week...until you can do it blindfolded and upside down...Major Payne-style.
    Sounds like my old DI. I was in during the transition from M14 to M16 and had to learn them both.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    after the fact but here is a video how to to field stripping it
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcu-G2x4b7I
    Thanks. Great little video. Sure is a lot easier than trying to understand the manual.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Thanks to you both. I used a combination of both suggestions.

I blew out everything with brake cleaner spray then worked it over with Break Free and tooth picks. Reassembled, gave it a final coat of Break Free and am now letting it soak in before a final wipe and test fire.

One last question, is there anything that needs grease or is Break Free enough?
    Glad we could help I have a Mossberg Maverick 88. Last year when I went turkey hunting I took an ATV up on the hill; it was cool, rainy and muddy. After I bagged my turkey I was coming down the hill to the house, and I slid on a big puddle of mud and went into some trees, and a branch knocked the shotgun off the gun rack on the back of the ATV right into a muddy mess of water, leaves and gunk. Well I got home and let it dry out for a while. Later I had to use an air can to get all the dried mud and gunk out of it. I took it all apart, used solvent, oiled it, test fired it a few times and it worked like new. Mossbergs are pretty reliable firearms, I’ve never had an issue with mine.

Another possibility is to take it into a hot shower. Hose it down really well. If you have a shower massage on a hose type shower head it is even easier. Spray it down from every conceivable angle. Then shake it out, blow with compressed air, spray it down heavily with WD 40 (water displacing). Let it sit for a while then wipe it down and lubricate as usual. Works well as the water cleans off the dirt, sand, & grime, then the air and WD get rid of the excess water (if the water is really hot, most of it will evaporate of the hot metal).
    If you have synthetic stocks you can leave them on while doing this, if wood you will want to remove them first.
    This system works great on AR-15s!

Lead Moderator
    I had to detail strip my Browning BPS shotgun after a dunking while duck hunting the marsh. What a pain in the butt.
    I would suggest after using WD 40 , to blast it all out with brake parts cleaner. WD 40 will gum up parts once dirt or dust gets on it. Final lubing with your choice of oil.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Mossbergs are pretty reliable firearms, Iíve never had an issue with mine.
    That's good to hear. The shotgun in question is my primary home defense weapon that has protected me and my family for 30 years. The only problem I have ever had with it was for it to hang up after I had pumped quite a few rounds through it at the range. Once it cooled off, all was fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links