AK47 Injury

AK47 Injury

This is a discussion on AK47 Injury within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well maybe not an impressive injury, but an embarrassing one for sure. About two weeks ago I got a new Romanian AK47 for my birthday. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK47 Injury

AK47 Injury

Well maybe not an impressive injury, but an embarrassing one for sure. About two weeks ago I got a new Romanian AK47 for my birthday. I have no experience with an AK, but it was a lot cheaper than the AR's and I've heard they are pretty good.

I've been wanting to strip it down and clean it real good, but haven’t had the time to learn how. Today I searched the net and found instructions on how to field strip it. Surprisingly it looked pretty easy.

I took it out on the patio, and took it down just like the video showed. I lovingly cleaned and lubed it, put it back together. Function checked it, perfect. (I am the )

Then I noticed something else in the box. A little package that has what looks like a spare part of some kind. OMGosh it's a little tube shaped cleaning kit. How weird is that I thought. I wonder why its shaped like that? Then I noticed a spring loaded trapdoor on the stock of the rifle. It must go in there.. those AK guys are genius'.

So I pushed the kit through the trapped door, and it was swallowed up in the stock.

Then :queue disaster music: I poked my thumb in to get it back out, and that was the wrong move. The trapped door opened, my thumb went in, and the spring behind the cleaning kit, pushed the kit into my thumb, and bent it 90 degrees at the first joint. The spring tension held my thumb bent, and there was no way to pull it out.

I sat there, trapped, almost helpless with my thumb stuck in the butt of my new AK. I tried oil, and wedging something in there, but it was no use, it was plumb stuck good. Images of going in the emergency room with a AK on my thumb started going through my head. Finally I called for my wife to bring me a screw driver, and between the two of us, were removed the butt plate and freed my nicely grooved thumb. (picture doesn't do it justice) All's well that ends well I guess, however it may be a while before my wife lets me clean guns unsupervised again.

Assistant Administrator
    Ouch - very ouch!

Glad to say with my Romanian - I have never attempted your manouvers - and for sure now will not try! Hard to quite imagine what happened but I'll take your word for it ....... I shall leave the butt well alone

Just be sure to have Mrs Geo on hand next time anyways
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Geo... I don't want to laugh... but...
    Welcome to the AKlan!

You may want to check and bookmark this link. IMHO the best site for the Rommy AKs

Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

Wait till the bolt lands on your finger! Now that is fun!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Ouch - very ouch!

Glad to say with my Romanian - I have never attempted your manouvers - and for sure now will not try! Hard to quite imagine what happened but I'll take your word for it ....... I shall leave the butt well alone

Just be sure to have Mrs Geo on hand next time anyways
    Besides being an expert in all things related to firearms, I am also an artist. Here is an artistic representation of the incident. I think I'll call this "Ow Ow Owie Dang"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on the new Romanian AK47, mine is just like it except mine has a slant muzzle break. I remember a couple months ago, I was at the range, and I managed to slice my right index finger open from the charging handle. I guess I must've pulled it so hard that it cut my finger enough to allow blood to literally drip onto the bench. I've never had my thumb get stuck in the stock though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Assistant Administrator
    All I can do is again say ''Ouch"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I have had my SKS catch my finger in the butt plate, but not ar far in as your thumb. I was able to use a screw driver to push the cover and the cleaning kit far enough down to get my finger out. Once was bad enough, but a few days later I was showing my brother-in-law how it happened and - you guessed it - it happened again. The finger was a little further in, but still the screw driver worked. When we got the finger out we removed the cleaning kit and put it up. Now I don't even look at the butt plate.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'm with Chris...Ouch.

I can also say that I have had AK's and SKS's bite me too. My M-14 is nicer to the digits, but that trap door is a bear to open.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Sorry, but I really didn't mean to LMAO But that is about the funniest thing I have read in a long time.
    On a serious note, there is definitely a technique to removing and installing the cleaning kit. Keep practicing
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Administrator
    Images of going in the emergency room with a AK on my thumb started going through my head.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Images of going in the emergency room with a AK on my thumb started going through my head.
    Excuse me sir, but guns are not allowed in the hospital.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

So much for that career in proctology!
    Jack

EEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWWW!

Then the Emergency Room!

I cried for you, then I laughed!

Good luck! AK's are really fun too! Say, since this one hurt you, please send it to me for a solid function check and safekeeping.

Have fun, but watch the action too!

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for sharing I needed a laugh.

So you got your thumb stuck in your Butt, Just kidding
    Last edited by pgrass101; September 17th, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    So you got your thumb stuck inyour Butt
    I didn't think of it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links