"Cruiser safe" shotgun?

"Cruiser safe" shotgun?

This is a discussion on "Cruiser safe" shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recall a thread recently somewhere (maybe in another forum...I cant find it now) describing a shotgun stored in what was described as "cruiser safe". ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cruiser safe" shotgun?

"Cruiser safe" shotgun?

I recall a thread recently somewhere (maybe in another forum...I cant find it now) describing a shotgun stored in what was described as "cruiser safe". Many police departments use this method apparently.

Anyway, it was a new one on me. I had never heard of it before and I am still somewhat confused. I think they were describing a modified condition 3 shotgun. I could be wrong though.

What is cruiser safe...and what is the advantage of this method for shotguns?

Lead Moderator
    Full loaded magazine, empty chamber. Guess it is for safety/ less chance of AD into the roof. No real tactical advantage.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

C-safe

As I understand it......check to make sure the gun is unloaded, rack it, take off the safety....pull the trigger, put the safety back on and then load the mag tube.

John

Rocky: you described a Condition 3 shotgun: bolt closed, safety on and magazine loaded.

The way it was described, cruiser safe is different from condition 3 in that the bolt is kept open to the rear.

There must be a reason for that. But what/why?

And what is it to "tactical load" the first shot? Advantage/disadvantage to that?

Lead Moderator
    I was taught to carry the gun w/ empty chamber full mag for in the car. Cruiser carry may mean different things to different users. Still just sounds like a redundant safety measure.
    I also was taught to speed load single rounds after going dry with a shotgun. Basically you empty the gun, then leaving the pump back insert another round in the gun , push pump forward and fire. (quicker than loading the mag, then pumping)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Rocky: you described a Condition 3 shotgun: bolt closed, safety on and magazine loaded.

...and hammer down.

The way it was described, cruiser safe is different from condition 3 in that the bolt is kept open to the rear.

Not true. The bolt to the rear wont allow the gun to be locked in the rack, plus invites all kinds of crud to get into the action. bassbones was pretty close in his description.

There must be a reason for that. But what/why? The main reason is there is an empty chamber, (safety) and you dont have to fool with any little buttons to rack a shell into the chamber.

And what is it to "tactical load" the first shot? Advantage/disadvantage to that?
    A tactical load when you directly drop a shell into the action before one is picked up from the tube, or if the tube is empty. This is used when the gun runs empty, and you dont have time to load the tube. It is also used if your tube is filled with shot, but you need a slug.
    "Just blame Sixto"

the difference between cruiser carry and condition 3 is the pulling of the trigger on an empty chamber (for cruiser carry). this allows the slide to be racked without depressing the locking mechanism on the side of the receiver.

Hmm,

Thats how I keep the shotgun in the house, hammer down on the empty chamber, full mag, safety on.

This has always bothered the back of my mind. Why is there so much talk about safe ways to transport shotguns? Is there really something wrong with the safeties on shotguns? Why not carry it "cocked and locked" so to speak, safety on, chamber loaded. Is it over-safe CYA mentality to not have a round in the chamber or a legitimate worry? Thanks much, I simply do not know enough about it, but am very interested. Thanks again.

Take care all,

nasm
    Last edited by nasm; September 19th, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasm View Post
    This has always bothered the back of my mind. Why is there so much talk about safe ways to transport shotguns? Is there really something wrong with the safeties on shotguns? Why not carry it "cocked and locked" so to speak, safety on, chamber loaded. Is it over-safe CYA mentality to not have a round in the chamber or a legitimate worry? Thanks much, I simply do not know enough about it, but am very interested. Thanks again.

Take care all,

nasm
    I keep all my guns (with the exception of my carry/bedside pistol) stored in condition 3, which as I understand it, means full mag, empty chamber, bolt closed, hammer down, and safety on, if applicable.

There's nothing wrong with cocked and locked, but I prefer to have a large movement necessary (cycling the action) to ready the gun to fire. This greatly lowers the possibility of a careless or forgetful moment resulting in an ND. If I were carrying a shotgun near my head in an enclosed vehicle, either vertically or under the roof, you can bet I'd want to do everything possible to prevent an ND, short of completely unloading the gun.

A carry gun is a totally different situation, and should be carried in condition 1 or 2, depending on the gun and your preference.

Plus having to pump it is great intimidation, one of the many reasons that so many departments stay with pump action shotties. That sound of jacking a round into the chamber of a pump action is unmistakable.

Also, I think being able to toss in a slug or LTL round without having to clear it first would be useful. In most situations officers will have a pistol to fight their way to the shotgun if need be as well as to protect themselves while acquiring the shotgun and going condition 1 with it.
    Last edited by SemperGumby; September 20th, 2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Couple things to add...
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

Also, I think being able to toss in a slug or LTL round without having to clear it first would be useful. In most situations officers will have a pistol to fight their way to the shotgun if need be as well as to protect themselves while acquiring the shotgun and going condition 1 with it.
    +1. This is the biggest advantage of having the bolt open in my opinion...

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A pump-action shotgun of classic design has a safety that only blocks the trigger, which is not considered as safe as something that blocks the sear or locks or disengages the firing pin. Moreover, crossbolt safeties can be bumped on or off unintentionally, so a shotgun such as the Remington 870 cannot be trusted to stay on or off safe. My patrol shotgun, for example, is often bumped on-safe when I had left it off-safe, as it rides in the patrol car. (We don't have shotgun racks where I work.) I have read accounts of Marlin lever rifles, with their cross-bolt safeties, being bumped on-safe or off-safe while moving through thick brush. I keep the chamber empty unless my shotgun is in my hands.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperGumby View Post
    Plus having to pump it is great intimidation, one of the many reasons that so many departments stay with pump action shotties. That sound of jacking a round into the chamber of a pump action is unmistakable.
    If the shotgun is out, intimidation is not my goal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If the shotgun is out, intimidation is not my goal.
    +1. If I have to pull a gun out, I've already failed to sufficiently intimidate you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links