Recoil on a 1100

This is a discussion on Recoil on a 1100 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking about picking up a 1100 remington for my wife. How much of the recoil does the 1100 soak up compared to a 870 with ...

Thread: Recoil on a 1100

Recoil on a 1100

Thinking about picking up a 1100 remington for my wife. How much of the recoil does the 1100 soak up compared to a 870 with 2 3/4 00 buck.

Also is there any store out there that sells a 18.5" barrel for the 1100 or am I stuck with with the 21" deer barrels that are out there?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The 1100 is "softer" due to the gas action soaking up the recoil. She should'nt have a problem with it.

There are a multitude of companys out there selling 18 and 18.5 inch barrels, they'll be anywhere from 150-250 bucks mostly.Check "gunbroker" an auction site. They have lots of barrels and you might get one cheap.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There are a multitude of companys out there selling 18 and 18.5 inch barrels, they'll be anywhere from 150-250 bucks mostly.Check "gunbroker" an auction site. They have lots of barrels and you might get one cheap.
    I dug around a lot of the auction sites before posting this and was unable to find a sub 21" 1100 barrel. I even started googling around and all the barrels were not under 21".

recoil in an 1100 ????? Whats that ???
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    11-87 is a even better choice if thats your purpose of buying the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I've been shooting the same 1100 since 1970, with my starting weight at 125 lbs ! Though heavier now !

The gas operation does dampen the recoil some, I've never really thought too much about it, it's not silky smooth, but not harsh either. I wouldn't think your wife would have much problem, I would however let her get started with some light field loads and be sure to let her know that it does have some recoil. Most wives I know don't care for bad surprises. I'll bet she'll do fine.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

They're very comfortable to shoot unless the rubber O-ring in the gas cylinder is gone... hoo boy!

I had an old 1100 I inherited from my dad. I guess the O-ring was deteriorated because the first few times I fired it, it worked great. Then it started failing to cycle the round and it kicked so hard it actually bruised my shoulder. Felt worse than a pump.

If she finds that the recoil is a bit harsh for her, and the added LOP wouldn't be an issue, the slip-on Sims recoil pads do a good job. My daughter now asks to shoot my 870 - the first time she shot it, before I put one on it, she was ready to hand it back after the first couple of rounds.

Ok so the recoil isn't a issue.

Now where do I find the short 1100 barrels or should I just pony up for the 1100 tactical model that remington sells.

I ordered my extra barrels through the gun shop where the 1100 was purchased........but that was back '83 when I got my 1100. Online searches or talk to a gunsmith/Remmington dealer is the best start

I still have mine.....still shoot it......still Love it! Got four barrels for it too.
    soft recoil and great for hunting......the primary purpose for having it.
    The 11-87 is the updated version......as good as or better I'll wager.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Couple of suggestions:

Get a youth stock(13" LOP), and have a KickEeze 1/2" pad fitted. A smith should not have any trouble shaving a bit more off the stock to have it at 13" or slightly less.
    KickEeze is the best I've found (vis a vis Simms, Pachmayer, or factory).

Call Remington- you might be able to get a shorter barrel cheaper as an extra, than as part of the Tac package. Probably not, but...

The pad will make it a joy to shoot. I've done 400 rounds, mixed 00 and skeet in an afternoon through a Benelli, with no problem.

I took both my 870 and 1100 dove hunting this past weekend. The recoil on the 1100 is noticably less than the 870 - and the 1100 doesn't have a recoil pad. With field loads, neither was unconfortable.

Links