Prime M44 - Came With Everything You See Here

This is a discussion on Prime M44 - Came With Everything You See Here within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I found a really nice Russian M44 Mosin-Nagant at what I thought was a reasonable price. No rust was evident as I cleaned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prime M44 - Came With Everything You See Here

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Prime M44 - Came With Everything You See Here

Hi All,

I found a really nice Russian M44 Mosin-Nagant at what I thought was a reasonable price. No rust was evident as I cleaned the cosmoline off.

I'm pretty sure this is what a Russian soldier would have been issued.

This ammo has be baffled, but I believe it's the same stuff found here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=80929981

This is my first centerfire rifle. Any advice would be very appreciated. I'm pretty sure this surplus ammo is corrosive; do I just run a Windex patch down the barrel after shooting it? I do not want to shoot the thing until I know exactly what I'm doing.

It'd be nice to find some stripper clips as well. Might have to go back as I think I saw some at the gunstore a while back.

So, whatcha' all think?

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Ahhh.. even seeing the word, "cosmoline" has me making funny faces.

I once took a brand-new SKS out of a box and the thing was DRIPPING in the stuff. Cleaning the gun off and then myself was quite the feat.

Anyway.. looks good!

That sure does look pristine!! Others will tell you that the "windex" approach is OK, do as you will, but if that was mine and I was determined to shoot MSC in it then I'd treat that bore just as I do a muzzleloader with black. Soapy water, followed by HOT (smokin' hot) water to dry it will work better in my opinion.

Sorry, Windex advocates, but I have NEVER been able to get over the buddy that ran some U.S. corrosive ball thru his utterly brand new (super pristine!!)'03A3, back when the DCM was selling them for a song who wound up with a bore that resembled a coal mine.

For sure, the soap and water wash works!!!
    Last edited by dogrunner; September 20th, 2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: sp

Does the type of soap matter? I think I have Palmolive out there.

How about the breech face?

Thanks,

Josh <><

For sure, the soap and water wash works!!! big +1 to that.
    Very nice m44. Some things to know. that is the 762x54R "R" meaning rimed cartridge. When you load this rifle one at a time into the mag be sure to load so the rims are stacked one in front of the other and the same goes for loading onto stripper clips. if not the rims will get in the way and will prevent you from cambering a round.
    Also this little rifle WILL KNOCK YOUR SHOULDER TO THE MIDDLE OF YOUR BACK be sure you shoulder that rifle up tight. Also remember that, that little rifle is a battle rifle, don't treat it with kids gloves. It wants to be man handled, slam that bolt closed and slap that sucker open and make that spent cartridge fly, it will like you for it. Oh and be sure to shoot plenty at dusk, she will give you four foot fire ball from the muzzle. Have fun, be safe.
    Oh and your missing the collars for your sling.
    Last edited by Longbow; September 20th, 2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add info
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Thanks guys.

I went ahead and shot five rounds of the corrosive stuff right after I posted. I ended up with a pile of salts(?) in the area right before the chamber. I was able to get most of it out and sprayed it with Windex with Ammonia-D, but I couldn't get it all out. It resembles wet sand. Any tricks to getting this out of the crevices, or will it hurt anything as long as it's been well soaked?

Also this little rifle WILL KNOCK YOUR SHOULDER TO THE MIDDLE OF YOUR BACK be sure you shoulder that rifle up tight.
    Reminds me of a 3" 20 gauge slug load. I grew up shooting 12 bore 3" :D Doesn't bother me; shooting with my off shoulder might hurt though. Then again, some say I'm a bit crazy. I really want to try that .577 T-Rex!

Thanks,

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    Josh Hoppes will also get the stuff off. I have poured boiling water down the barrel of my M44.

The M44 is meant to be shot with the bayonet extended, at least mine groups better that way. Plus you can cook hotdogs on it.

Don't worry too much about corrosive ammo that is probably all that rifle ever shot just clean after each range session. I mean it was built for uneducated peasants. You have a great rifle and you can shoot Wolf or corrosive EastBloc surplus out of it.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    The reason for using the AMMONIA (windex) is to NEUTRALIZE
    the corrosive salts.

THEN you wash with hot soapy water!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I recently purchased the "bigger brother" version of that rifle.

They are great guns, real fun at the range when you see people look over after they hear your gunshot.

From my experiance with an extended range session (50-70 rounds or so) the bolt gets pretty tight, and the receiver very hot. However white lithium grease seems to hold up better than most standard gun oils to that heat, and for me that seems to help keep the bolt moving freely. (just keep it away from the firing pin)

If you can post some about your range sessions, these are supposed to be very accurate rifles, if their bore is in good shape that is. Mine is giving me about 5-6 inch groups at about 100 yards, but I still have the feeling that it is all my fault. (Not a big fan of those sights under 100 yards.)

Here is a site with a bunch of information of breakdown/care/history/markings and the like

http://7.62x54r.net/

Have fun now, and the fresh grilled hotdogs mid range session really are a treat not to be missed
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Hi All,

Thanks for the info.

I decided to save back a bit of the heavy ball as I got the last 20 rounds. I went to buy some other stuff today.

I'm not sure I like what I got. The heavy ball has no laquer on the case mouth, and operates very well. The stuff I got today is Russian (headstamped 60) and is laquered. It appears that this is causing the bolt to stick.

From www.russian-mosin-nagant.com :

Most of the ammo on the market today is coming out of the former Soviet client states in the Balkans. Many people have complained about the lacquer coated ammo causing their bolts to become hard to open. Often, this is a sign of a dirty or badly pitted chamber and is easily corrected by cleaning the chamber correctly.
    My chamber is clean, and I cannot see any pitting or corrosion. I was told that this is common in these guns and that I should polish the chamber. I kinda' thought Soviet stuff had generous clearances as is. What are your collective thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    My M44 is stiff after firing 5 rounds. After 10 rounds it feels like I need a 2x4 to work the bolt.

Check out the Mosin vs AK vs AR
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Just a couple of quick comments. Cleaning: If you do the soapy water method just about any brand or type of soap works...I use a liquid hand pump soap device & just fill the bbl and run a cloth patch thru several times..but be sure to follow that up with near boiling water.....the latter serves to quickly dry the metal....then oil the bore as you normally would......never had any rust issues with either mil surp rifles or black powder guns

As far as the difficult bolt matter goes I found that mine slicked up considerably by simply cycling and shooting it. In particular the forward upper portion of the receiver acts as a cam on the bolt and that will smooth up with use. I also understand that SOME ammo is lacquered and that the stuff will gunk up the chamber somewhat....don't know from personal experience but its worth keeping in mind. Goes without saying that a real good and through cleanups' in order when you first get it tho.

By the way, your gun looks cleaner and crisper than the one I got from the Dealer Whse, and it was in the original arsenal paper wrap!!

I meant to mention that the "wet sand" looking stuff in the breach/chamber area was probably unburned powder......shoulden't hurt anything but thats the sort of crap a good water flush'l take care of....If you have any experience handloading and using 2400, you'l find that you frequently have unburnt granules in the bore and cyl. of a revolver.
    Last edited by dogrunner; September 22nd, 2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: clarify

I decided to really lay in with the cleaning today.

I started with a regular cleaning which gave me clean patches after about five passes. I wasn't sure where the gunk came from as I had cleaned it yesterday, so I let the bore soak in Hoppes for a few hours.

When I ran another patch through it, I got green again. I kept doing this and eventually got brown, what I assume is Cosmoline. The patches eventually came through clean again.

It's been soaking for a few more hours now. I'm watching it and every half hour there is more crud that surfaces. I figure I'll just run a soaded patch through it now and again and keep it soaking.

The good news is that this thing is beginning to resemble a *new* bore. Maybe it was one that was shot a few times and then never picked up? Dunno. I'm pretty sure some of this stuff has been in there since it was issued in '44.

The chamber has begun cleaning out as well, and ya'll were right: there's brown gunk coming out of it as well. I attached a drill to a 20 gauge bore brush and went at it. I only thought it looked nice before.

I'll keep ya'll updated! This may turn out to be a nicer rifle than I first thought!

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    That is a pretty rifle.

I'd be willing to bet it wont be your last Mosin.

I can count off the top of my head 2 dozen people that have Mosins.

Nobody has just one...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Joshua, you are in for more fun than anyone has a right to have.

I've got 12 Mosins, and I love them all. Some shoot well. Some are accuracy-challenged. Some cycle smoothly. Others...don't.

But for considerably less than a hundred bucks, where else are you going to find a POWERFUL, reliable, centerfire rifle?

They're heavy. They smell bad. They don't always shoot sub MOA groups. But they are things of beauty to me, perfectly designed for their purpose - - fighting. You can shoot the BG's, stick the BG's or bash their skulls in.

It's also the ultimate vindication of our side against the commies in the Cold War. Their formerly front-line military weapons (and second-line military weapons, up until like the 1980's in some places) are now dirt-cheap collectors' items for us.

And there is nowhere else you're going to find as much shooting fun for your dollar.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links