AK47

AK47

This is a discussion on AK47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a good carbine and I “think” the AK fits all my requirements. Only question I have is on the accuracy of ...

Thread: AK47

AK47

I am looking for a good carbine and I “think” the AK fits all my requirements. Only question I have is on the accuracy of the new ones on the market now. I want something that will give me a 2” group at 100 yards from a solid rest. Is that doable with an AK? I don’t need anything that will go beyond 250-300 yards, but I do want to be able to hit what I am shooting at out to 200 yards with a reasonable group.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim........

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Arsenal SLR with forged receiver should be closest to what you seek with least amount of mods out of box....

However for shooting at those distances, an AR or bolt gun is in order....
    Good luck....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Do what I did. I liked the Ak platform but not the 7.62 accuracy. I picked up a SAR-3. An Ak chambered in 5.56. I could not believe how accurate it was compared to the other calibers. For mags you can use the standard ak74 mags with the followers switched out to .223 follwers. You can get them from Redstar Arms. Just a thought.

Senior Moderator
    2 inch groups from a solid rest.

Can your eyes see that good over the open sights ?

Most open sights will cover more than 2 inches at 100 yards. Although the gun may be capable, even most scopes the crosshairs will subtend 1 inch at 100 yards...meaning that were the crosshairs come together will cover an inch.

Most people cant shoot 2 inch groups with an iron sighted AR, and the AK isn't as accurate. Of course, alot of the AKs inaccuracy stems from ammunition and the short sighting radius that magnifies any error at long range. For plinking and shooting at pie plate sized targets though...the AK is much fun and hard to beat.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Spend money on the XS sight upgrade, and a wide-notch rear, and buy WWB 7.62x39, and you should be pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    2 inch groups from a solid rest.

Can your eyes see that good over the open sights ?
    No, you are correct that I can not do that.

Basically I am looking for something that will give me reasonable accuracy out to about 250 yards and can handle being bounced around on the floor boards. My M1 Carbine gives me a group of about 6 1/2 inches at 100 yards with open sights, my Mini-14 does about the same. With that kind of accuracy, I would have a hard time hitting a barn at 250 yards much less anything else! I can put three rounds touching each other at 25 yards (this gives me about a 1 – 1˝" group at 100 yards) with an AR (the old M16-A1), and I know that an AR can do better than that, but I can not afford an AR nor do I need the range or accuracy that can be obtained by an AR. I just figured that since individual accuracy depends so much on the person doing the shooting, I would need to judge the intrinsic mechanical accuracy of the rifle for any real comparison, unless I could find somebody to loan me one to try out. Unfortunately all the information I can find on the AK indicates that it has an effective range of 400 meters with an effective killing range of 1350 meters, but it doesn't say what that means in accuracy. Does that mean being able to hit a man sized silhouette (that would be about a 16 – 18” group) or does it mean an 8” group at 400 yards or does it mean something else???? If it does an 8” group at 400 meters then it does as well as I could even with a scope and I would be happy.

I guess, what I really need is to know what the mechanical accuracy is of the AK so that I can decide if it is going to do any better for me that the M1 Carbine or the Mini-14. I understand that the AK has a shorter sight radius, but that is not an issue since I will most likely put a red dot sight on it.

Thanks,
    Tim………

TRP Member's Proving Grounds http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1272.0

See the SKS thread, too.

Yes you can have an accurate AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    TRP Member's Proving Grounds http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1272.0

See the SKS thread, too.

Yes you can have an accurate AK.
    Now that is a good read!

With a 1.04” group @ 50 yards, it definitely has the accuracy I am looking for. Gewehr98 makes it sound like this is not all that uncommon with the AK type of rifle PROVIDING you have the right ammo and you can do your part. I’ll need to check them out next gun show. I know there is a regular that sells the Lancaster which is a Romanian version that is supposed to be one of the better ones.

I may just have to add one to my collection…..

Thanks for the link.

Tim………

Senior Moderator
    The best I can shoot from my L1A1 with iron sights and a soild rest is 3-4 inch groups at 100yds
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sponsored Links