*M44 Range Report: Accuracy*

This is a discussion on *M44 Range Report: Accuracy* within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got some time today to do some shooting with my new M44. Range was 50 yards. As some of you know I was experiencing ...

Thread: *M44 Range Report: Accuracy*

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

*M44 Range Report: Accuracy*

I got some time today to do some shooting with my new M44. Range was 50 yards.

As some of you know I was experiencing ammunition issues. This is not the same ammo though it is marked the same. The gunstore opened up another crate of light ball for me and after inspecting it decided to give it a try. It worked, showing no pressure signs.

The day was overcast and was raining on and off. I took advantage of a lull in the rain to shoot.

This is what I ended up with.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this '80s Russian stuff is junk. I had fairly consistent ignition for the first three shots - after which I checked the target. As I shot more, I began getting random hangfires. The primers were indented just fine but ignition was not instantaneous. Some were squibs as well. One did not make it to the paper.

Pulling the bolt every few rounds got irritating.

Since I was shooting to the left I drifted the front sight to compensate. Then it started raining fairly hard. I went ahead and put the five rounds on the right on target, one of which squibbed on me. I called it a day after that.

My conclusion is that this carbine certainly shows accuracy potential with consistent ammo: Witness the first three rounds fired and four of the five rounds after sight adjustment. The left hand group of three measures 7/8" and the one shot after sight adjustment in the rain measures 1-5/8".

I am not the best shot with open sights either as I have 20/30 vision in my shooting eye. Some of the flyers may have been me, especially after the rain started.

I believe I can realistically turn this into a 200 yard rifle with a scout setup. I don't have any place that I would need to shoot further than that, but I believe 300yds would be in the realm of possibility.

Since the Russians didn't actually finish the bore in this wartime rifle and the lands and grooves are better than average, I think I may polish out the barrel before I mount a 'scope. I definitely want to see how this shoots with consistent ammo as well before committing to any sort of project.

In the meantime, it will serve well as a 100yd coyote carbine and fun plinker, as well as an historically interesting piece.

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Josh, is reloading an option?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Have you had the rifle headspaced?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

is there a heavy ball ammo possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Josh, is reloading an option?
    Not at this point. I'm looking at single stage presses now. I was looking at the progressives just to crank out 9mm and 38 SPL, but with a rifle as well I think I'll just go with the single stage.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Intentional Flincher View Post
    Have you had the rifle headspaced?
    I headspaced it with a no-go coin type tool before I bought it. It passed with flying colors.

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    It kicked like a mule didnt it ?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    is there a heavy ball ammo possibility?
    Hi, yes, absolutely. This rifle likes heavy ball better than anything, and I bought the last 20 they had when I bought the rifle. It's Hungarian yellow tip made in '51.

Unfortunately, they don't have anymore. I have four in the rifle for coyote duty, then nine more in the ammo pouch, so I'm conserving it.

I'll likely end up with some S&B stuff if I can find it locally - I have to check the other gunshop tomorrow.

Josh <><

Quit buying crap ammo, if you want decent accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It kicked like a mule didnt it ?
    Hotguns, no, it didn't. I found it rather pleansant compared to what I had come to expect from the writing on the gunboards.

I grew up shooting heavy loads out of slug guns and this thing feels like a slight nudge, or a single shot 20 gauge with a standard slug load, 2-3/4". No magnums.

It's all what you're used to I guess.

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    Try groupings with the bayonet extended as well. IIRC, some folks have reported significant changes with the toothpick sticking out the front.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links