What is the difference between M4, AR15, AK47

This is a discussion on What is the difference between M4, AR15, AK47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I don't know much about rifles or shotguns. I have seen these type of rifles talked about the most. What is the major ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between M4, AR15, AK47

Hello all,

I don't know much about rifles or shotguns. I have seen these type of rifles talked about the most. What is the major difference between them? Also, how much on average does each one cost? Last but not least which would you all recommend if you could only get 1?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's recommendation.

Senior Moderator
    The true original M4 is a 14" bbl with the option for three-round burst. The civilian version of the M4 is usually a 16" bbl and has no option for three-round burst.

The AR15 is the civilian version of the M16, with a 20" bbl and, again, no option for three-round burst.

The AK 47 (civilian version) is a ruggedly, reliable higher caliber rifle, yet is not as accurate as the AR family weapons and also does not have the option for full auto. Further more it is of Soviet design while the ARs are of American Design.

Personally, I'd go with either the M4 or the AR15, depending on how far you want to shoot with it.

As far as cost is concerned, that varies GREATLY. The ARs (either the M4 styles or M16 styles can range all over the place from $600-$2000 depending on what you are getting and from who (such as Colt, Bushmaster, S&W and the like). The AK ranges $300-$700.

Senior Moderator
    The M16 is select fire. It is what the military uses. The AR-15 is basically the same gun in a semi -auto format and legal for civilians to own.

The AK and the M-16 are each others competition and have been since they were developed. Generally, anywhere an AK has been fired in anger, the M-16 has fired back.

The M-16/AR-15 is has tighter tolerances, therefore more accurate than the AK but also requires more maintenance to keep it operational. The AK has looser tolerances but can keep firing when filthy,requires much less maintenance but isn't near as accurate.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

It really depends on the role that it is needed for. There are a multitude of variations and model designations for both rifles and both have evolved considerably.

Personally, I have several of each. That pretty much takes care of the arguments...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The true original M4 is a 14" bbl with the option for three-round burst. The civilian version of the M4 is usually a 16" bbl and has no option for three-round burst.

The AR15 is the civilian version of the M16, with a 20" bbl and, again, no option for three-round burst.
    Might be more accurate to say the M4 and M16 are military designations for the AR-15, rather than vice versa.

Otherwise, she's got it right. Check up on Wikipedia, it's a good general source for all three of the weapons you're asking about.

-B

I'd say the AK's, which can range tremendously in quality and country of origin, from $300 (Cheapo) to $1,500 or $2,000 if you end up with a Galil or like quality.

AK's are known for reliability as a combat weapon at shorter ranges. Easy to field strip, easy to breakdown totally, access to most parts, either US or foreign made. Built like a brick and rugged.

With AK's you need to become familiar with the issues regarding foreign made and US made parts, compliance to firearms statutes, and some other issues before you tinker with it much.

AK's generally shoot the readily available 7.62 X 39, although you can find some odd chamberings.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

And, interestingly enough, the specc'ed and achieved accuracy for both the M16 and the AK are the same with mil-spec ammo through mil-spec guns(2MOA @ 100). The AR is a different animal, as it has become a civilian match-rifle,more than a combat arm.

Basically, its a money issue. Lots of folks buy/bought AKs because the rifle and its surplus ammo is cheaper than the AR and .223. Lots of mediocre shooters, with mediocre ammo, builds a mediocre reputation. If you buy a $450-700 AK, with good sights, and spend for American-made ammo, you can easily have 2 MOA consistantly; less if you practice and use optics.

AK accuracy

Gewehr98's thread has been going around the internet for awhile and pretty much proves that the AK is capable of being a 2 MOA gun.

Thanks for all the replies and info.

So you can get a M4 from Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms, are there any others that I can research? Also, which is the best? How can I tell which is the best. I know these are a lot of questions it's just if I have to pay 1k I want to make sure I am getting a quality rifle.

Thanks.

If you want something you spend 1K + on and will take care of, buy an M-4 platform rifle.

If you want to spend 3-400 bucks and chuck it in the back of your truck and not worry about it buy the AK

You could bury your AK and dig it up a month later and I bet it will still fire.

Well apparentlyl Col Davd Hackworth did just that

http://www.sdreader.com/published/20...8/reading.html

Thanks for the article. I guess I will just have to get both just not at the same time. I think that will solve my problem. :)

I would add that the military M4 has a 14.5 inch barrel because it still allows attachment of the bayonet. Also it is the M16 (20" barrel) which has the semi or 3 round burst, and the M4 goes from semi to full auto. Also it might make a difference to note that the M16/M4/AR-15 family are all generally chambered in .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO - while the AKs are usually in 7.62x39.

Austin

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Whichever platform you choose, make sure you practice and practice with it. At the end it is a question of how much money can you spend on the rifle plus gadgets plus what is your goal and where are you planning on using your rifle. I have the romanian variant of the AK called the WASR 10 considered by those who "know" as (allegedly) just about the crappiest AK-type built. I shot close to 1000 rounds through it and had exactly 2 failures: one a double feed which was probably a combination of not cleaning the weapon from all the hardened cosmoline it came with and my ignorance on the weapon, and the other time the spring of the mag was just too old and worn out. I feel confident that for my use in an urban/suburban enviroment it is the weapon that would be the best. But to each its own.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links