9mm AR, Anybody got one?

9mm AR, Anybody got one?

This is a discussion on 9mm AR, Anybody got one? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm getting serious about picking up a 9mm AR. If you have any thoughts, suggestions about brands or anything else to look out for, post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm AR, Anybody got one?

Administrator

9mm AR, Anybody got one?

I'm getting serious about picking up a 9mm AR. If you have any thoughts, suggestions about brands or anything else to look out for, post 'em up. I'm leaning towards a RRA right now, but I'm open to all brands.

I'm even thinking of going with a short barrel/can combo for the fun of it. I need ammo/ballistic guys to chime in here too. What’s the optimum barrel length vs. velocity? If I'm going to bother with all the class 3 stuff, I want to go short. (Like 11" short ) However, if I'm going to lose a lot of power and accuracy (under 100 yds) I don’t want it.

Want I don’t want to hear about why I shouldn’t get a pistol caliber rifle- This is a toy for me, not a working gun.

As a side note, Wouldn’t it be neat if someone made a AR in .357 or .44mag?
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 2nd, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lots of info at www.ar15.com
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

I recall looking at one quite a while back, and with a 16? inch barrel I determined that 100 yards was really stretching the round. The energy and velocity) left is pretty poor and the drop is significant. I can't recall what round I was looking at, probably WWB. I believe that I concluded 50 yards was ok, 75 was the absolute limit for the round for taking out a smallish deer. Maybe +p would do better, but I'm sure I was looking at cheap ammo.

It's still on my "Toy" list, but I have a couple more practical guns to buy first.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Yeah, I know 100yds is asking a lot, that is the absolute max I'd shoot it. This is just going to be for fun, and maybe light farm/HD duty. I have plenty of options for serious work.
    I just found that Olympic makes that uses Glock mags. They have them in 9mm and .40... that just might be the way to go as I already have truck loads of Glock mags floating around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    We still use the Colt 9mm SMGs around here (though they are being phased out in favor of the M4 for most applications). Using hot rounds, 100m is certainly within the realm of possibility, though I wouldn't hunt with the thing.

Pros for the Colt - it's a Colt, it works, it has the barrel length you are contemplating...that's about it.

Cons for the Colt - it's a Colt ($$), the options as far as carry handle, rails, etc. are nil, the mags are relatively expensive (though 32rds on tap is nice).

In all, I really like mine for use within it's intended role. As a "fun gun" it's hard to beat. Let us know what you end up with!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I dont think I'll go with the Colt, just because it is a lot of cash to lay out for a toy. Colt mags are expensive and kind of tough to find.
    I do like the idea of sten mags though, they are a dime a dozen. I'm intrigued now with the Olympic that uses Glock mags, but I question the quality of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    My buddy had a 9mm AR carbine . It was a fun toy, but 100yrds was really pushing it. His had the 16 in. Barrel.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I've got to play with a 9mm AR a couple of times and a Colt once (Full Auto) they are a lot of fun. I don't think that you will notice much diference between a 11" and a 16" barrel as far as accuracy and velocity are concerned.

I'm thinking of getting a CX4 storm though but that will wait a few years.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

A buddy of mine let me run a couple of mag thru his 9mm a few range trips ago (RRA I think). It had a 14 or 16" barrel and an Aim Point on it. He was "evaluating" for street use. It was a sweet shooting carbine and putting < 1.5" groups at 55 yards. He just brought it along to show off that day but was in preperation for testing. He had a Colt as well but that one didn't come out of the case. We both liked it and it was whole bunch of fun to shoot! The PD here ended up outfitting the SRT guys with the Colts.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Not to hijack the thread, but I would be interested in one if it were .357SIG. I keep wondering why no one has come out with a carbine of some type for that round. It seems to be just itching for a barrel more than 4 or 5 inches long. I have a CX4 9mm (with 92 mags) that is lots of fun to shoot. I have a 2X red dot on it zeroed at 50 yards. I can put rounds COM at 100 by aiming at the forehead of the target, but I suspect that the round doesn't have much power left at that range.

SIXTO, if you get one I will be real interested in your impressions of it.

BTW I might also be interested if they made one in 10mm rather than .40.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I also went with the Storm in .45acp
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

I've had good experiences with my AR in 45 acp. I don't see why 9mm would be any worse. It has limits. Sure you can hit steel out to 100yrds but reality dictates 75 or less. MO If done just for the heck of it a cheap 9mm carbine would be a Mech Tech CCU for Glock frame and 30rd mags. I've used these and for what they are they are fun reliable and cheap.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post

BTW I might also be interested if they made one in 10mm rather than .40.
    Ask and you shall recieve.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now that I find interesting. I may have to do some research on that. Thanks, SIXTO.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I've got the Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm. It uses the same mags as my 90-Two pistol and future M9A1. One caliber and one set of mags for two pistols and a carbine. The (3) musketeers if the SHTF.
    Attached Images
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links