Shotgun vs Pistol Caliber Carbine for HD?

This is a discussion on Shotgun vs Pistol Caliber Carbine for HD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been debating this for a while. The 12ga pump has long been my primary Home defense gun. I have 5 rounds of 00 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun vs Pistol Caliber Carbine for HD?

Senior Moderator

Shotgun vs Pistol Caliber Carbine for HD?

I have been debating this for a while. The 12ga pump has long been my primary Home defense gun.

I have 5 rounds of 00 in the tube with 5 slugs in the butt pouch. I always reasoned that if the BG was still fighting after the 00 then I would shoot through whatever he was hiding behind with the slugs.

My wife won't shoot the 12ga so I loaded up the M1 carbine for her with one 30rd mag and 2 15 rds mags in the butt pouch. After a few days of pondering on it I have moved the shotgun from the closet to the gun safe and hung the carbine in its place.

My reasoning is I have more fire power, I can chase a BG "through the walls" better. I don't think that the .30 carbine round will penatrate much more than a 00 buckshot round. Both me and my wife can use it.

Is this reasoning sound or should I go on thinking for a few more days?
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The biggest issue I see that you have is your wife not shooting the shotgun. The carbines are fun to shoot, they are very soft shooting. Depending on what you go with, they can be pretty cheap to shoot too. Both of those factors allow for lots of practice. I think if the wife is more willing to shoot the carbine, its the better choice for your household.
    I just started a thread about 9mm AR's... Mine will be for fun, but maybe the wife will use it for HD too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Sixto,

Since my wife has become a Stay at Home Mom, I've changed some things about or homedefense set-up. She has my snubbie since she like revolvers and she can put it in her pocket and carry it into whatever room she is going to be in.

I always had the Shotgun because we both were going to be home, well now she is home by herself and I want her to have something better than 5 rounds from the Taurus 605.

She doesn't shoot enough for her to feel comfortable with an auto, she like revolvers ie.....no safety, not slide to rack back to clear a jam etc....

She shot the 12ga once and won't do it again. She might shoot the 20ga again I haven't tried since the 12ga incident

The Shotgun is the undisputed King of Home defense weapons. As a previous poster opined, getting a 20ga. for your wife, or even one of those Taurus "judge" pistols in .410 would be preferable to any pistol-caliber carbine.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    So she is OK with the carbine then? If so, I think your question has been answered.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yeah she like the carbine, I though about selling it and getting an AK but she would not let me!

Thanks just thought I'd check here to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Gotta agree with Sixto. If she is comfortable with it, then go for it. Dont want her flinching or hesitating at crunch time because of the recoil.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The biggest issue I see that you have is your wife not shooting the shotgun. The carbines are fun to shoot, they are very soft shooting. Depending on what you go with, they can be pretty cheap to shoot too. Both of those factors allow for lots of practice. I think if the wife is more willing to shoot the carbine, its the better choice for your household.
    I just started a thread about 9mm AR's... Mine will be for fun, but maybe the wife will use it for HD too.

I like the idea of a 9mm AR. Just for fun, I took one of the most blighted items on the market and ended up loving it. I'm talking about the HI Point 995 carbine. It is much prettier with the stock that our company makes on it (we pay royalties to Beretta for a mimic of the Storm stock), and my only complaint about this li'l plinker is the ten round mag capacity. :(

There is a 15 available, but that is SO horrible looking! I'm probably going to sell it pretty soon, so if anyone is interested...
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

VIP Member
    Darryl, you might want to check out Mossberg's .410 home defense shotguns. http://www.mossberg.com/default.asp?section=home

I handled one Saturday and it looks like it would be ideal for my wife to have. They also make a 20.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    George,

A .410 is a good thought, plus I have little boy who will be able to shoot it in a few years.

I will definately have to consider it.

Again, (from SIXTO's AR thread) went with the Berretta Storm in .45 acp.

Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

VIP Member
    Well, to defend my "second home" - a very large government building complex in a foreign country - I have both SGs and SMGs available. The SGs are Remington 870 Police Magnums, 14"bbl, with 00 and slug available. The SMGs are Colt 9mms. I choose the SMG every time, and I'll explain why:

Familiarity - I am intimately familiar with the AR platform, and find use of its controls and mechanisms to be unconscious and automatic.

Capacity - 32+1rds of 9mm trumps 4+1 of 12 gauge, not to mention that I can get 32 more 9mms back on tap in the same amount of time that I can get 1 round of shotty ammo.

Accuracy - I may have to make shots out to 100m on this property. This is simply impossible with the short barrelled, non-rifled 870s. During training, I was having to hold off 5 yards at 50 yards with slugs - not acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. The SMG is quite accurate at all ranges that I may encounter. Also, should I ever be called on to make a true precision shot, the SMG is by far the better option.

Controllability - The short barrelled 12 gauge is much tougher to control during rapid fire strings, especially when shooting appropriate self defense loads. The SMG has very little recoil, so follow up shots or shots on multiple adversaries is much faster.

Ease of carry - The SMG is easier to carry slung, easier to maneuver with, and easier to manipulate one handed.

Accessories - It is easier to mount optics, lights, etc. on the SMG.

Granted, my situation is not the typical home defense scenario, but many of the ideas remain the same - confined spaces, outside-to-inside transitions, stairs, hallways, innocents in adjacent rooms, and so on. In my case at least, the shotgun is most certainly not the undisputed King of HD weapons - though it is still the king of hype.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The 30 carbine is very easy to shoot short ranges. And it will penetrate quite nicely. Allegedly, if you can find some Remington soft points, it is very effective in expansion and penetration. I'm thinking about mounting a red dot on mine.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I have been debating this for a while. The 12ga pump has long been my primary Home defense gun.

I have 5 rounds of 00 in the tube with 5 slugs in the butt pouch. I always reasoned that if the BG was still fighting after the 00 then I would shoot through whatever he was hiding behind with the slugs.

My wife won't shoot the 12ga so I loaded up the M1 carbine for her with one 30rd mag and 2 15 rds mags in the butt pouch. After a few days of pondering on it I have moved the shotgun from the closet to the gun safe and hung the carbine in its place.

My reasoning is I have more fire power, I can chase a BG "through the walls" better. I don't think that the .30 carbine round will penatrate much more than a 00 buckshot round. Both me and my wife can use it.

Is this reasoning sound or should I go on thinking for a few more days?
    I keep a 12 gauge next to my bed at night. It has a nice combo of power and won't over penetrate. The problem with the .30 is it could over penetrate, and I’m sure your neighbors won’t care for that much. Mind you its not as bad as say a .357 over-penetrating, but the possibility is still there. If you can’t knock down a BG with 6 rounds out of a 12 gauge, that’s one big and tough BG, and I really don't think a .30 would solve your problem. I'd pick a .45 or .40 with hollow point rounds over a .30 personally. I’d say stick with the 12 gauge, chances are better for a hit and chances are better your neighbor wont get a bullet thru his window

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    In my case at least, the shotgun is most certainly not the undisputed King of HD weapons - though it is still the king of hype.
    I just thought that line was worth repeating. I'm a shotgun type of guy too, but you have to understand what it is and isnt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links