My new idea for a Goblin Popper

This is a discussion on My new idea for a Goblin Popper within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Step 1: Obtain Yugoslavian or Russian SKS. Russian would be better but probably go Yugo for this; it's cheaper. Step 2: Remove useless bayonet/grenade launcher ...

Thread: My new idea for a Goblin Popper

My new idea for a Goblin Popper

Step 1: Obtain Yugoslavian or Russian SKS. Russian would be better but probably go Yugo for this; it's cheaper.

Step 2: Remove useless bayonet/grenade launcher if necessary and place in ammo can o' crap.

Step 3: Possibly invest in aftermarket stock with pistol grip... stock is probably fine like it is however as SKS stocks are usually nice and short.

Step 4: Install Tec Sight. Zero in sights at range.

Step 5: Install Ultimak Pitcanny AK rail mount. It replaces the front handguard and mounts to the barrel. No shims should be needed, and I think the Yugos have the side gas vents.

Step 6: Invest in 1" light holding ring for rail mount and pop in a Surefire.

And/or

Step 7: Dust off my copy of Poor Man's Scout rifle and see what kind of cheap optic would be fun to mount on this thing... some kind of cheap 4x fixed optic maybe... or if I just wanted to be silly a red dot...

Just tossing the idea around in my head... I figure people do the same thing to Mini 14s/30s all the time and I'd basically be getting something very similar for less than the cost of said Mini 30.

Throw in a black synthetic stock and leave the useless accessories on and it would even be an EBR. I wouldn't want the Chinese SKS for this project as their pins are a real pain to ding out, and this requires pinning the rear sight aperture and replacing the handguard at the very least...

Possibly add a Harris bipod.

Heck if you went with the aftermarket stock you could even get you a 3 point or Cinch sling, and suddenly this thing would actually be a good training tool for a real scout or battle rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    sounds fun and (somewhat) inexpensive. I went with a AR , so with rails I have a grown up's erector set to add and remove parts and accesories.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I'm actually toying with the idea of putting a LER scope on my Marlin and making a 45-70 into a Scout Rifle. I would replace the stock iron front sight with one of those fiber optic hi-viz sights in bright red or green.

I think a good, solid fixed 4-power should do it. Until the reticles crap.

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - I have a Norinco as well as Yugo and a Romanian. The Norinco is set up with a red dot and of course has no grenade crap up front - it is ''as is'' close to your category.

Maybe remove bayo' but OTOH it seems that removed stuff up front will mean a higher POA, so some extra sighting in needed. Don't find the bayo' any prob actually, plus - well - ya never know!!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

See if I do this the way I'm decribing it P95, my optics will be on a forward mount.

Thinking about it at a little harder, for its intended purpose, I'd definitely want to at least get rid of the grenade launcher and dropping the bayonet would probably be wise too. Honestly when am I going to have occassion to bayonet someone, and how's that bayonet going to look in court to boot? If I went with the Tec Sight it'd be on me to rezero the sights anyway.

Of course that's an amusing thought...

"I'm here to zero my SKS..." I can just hear the laughter. But realistically I think I'd zero it at the 50 yard range, and then see how it does at the 100...

I'm also thinking a very low powered optic would actually be useful on an SKS as an aid to getting a sight picture more quickly. 1x or 2x, maybe...

And in the right situation I am not adverse to duct taping my pocket light onto the thing hehe...

I have a Norinco that I adore and it's perfect the way it is imho. I want one to play with. The Chinese SKS'es are actually pretty solid if you get a good one but they're notoriously difficult to adjust.

And to me, using the integral magazine is key. The SKS is actually a rock solid reliable rifle if you keep it the way it was intended to be...

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a Yugo that I obtained recently, but I have yet to cleam all of the cosmo out of it. I may take the launcher off of it, but the bayo stays.

I like the scout concept. The only drawback to the SKS is that you can't really top it off during a lull if using the fixed magazines.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Well it kind of fell into my lap, and I'm a liar.

I stumbled across a Norinco today that was cheap cheap cheap. It has the original wooden stock. The handguard was split down the middle and I took that as an omen.

I chipped away what remained of the handguard and with a little not so gentle prodding the trigger group and box magazine came out.

The gas piston (I believe) looks like it's been cut on just a little bit with a hacksaw, but the structural integrity is not compromised. It's a flesh wound.

The handguard is no loss as my intention is to replace it anyway.

The stock itself is not very well fitted and it's a lousy piece of wood. I'm not a carpenter but I did work in a lumberyard for 4 years and I know a bad piece of wood when I see one. Still, I like its short length, light weight, and the fact that if I can sand it down and make it useable, it's essentially free. No SKS stock fits perfectly anyway, at least not one you can actually get the rifle back out of.

I think I should at least sand it down where the straddle meets the saddle and possibly try a little wood putty to make it fit a little more snug, or look into some wooden replacement furniture.

It actually took about 60 minutes to get it all apart without breaking anything. The action and bore themselves are just fine if a little worn in places. I'm thinking I could try to reblue the worst little spots.

Edit: Just as I thought... I found a line crack going through the original stock. With a little bit of pressure the stock cracked in my hands! Time to invest in an aftermarket synthetic stock...
    Last edited by Euclidean; June 21st, 2005 at 07:05 PM.

Okay I have got this thing beat.

Okay the first thing to attend to is replacing the stock. The original wood has cracked and split on me.

I've looked around and this seems to be the best sport style stock with simple drop in installation.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=340740

The next step will be to improve the original sights. My first thought was a Tech Sight or other peep type sight. However I think I have a better solution.

First the front sight we'll replace with a Williams Fire Sight. This is a light gathering fiber optic front sight ideal for low light conditions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=512932

Now what's brilliant about this next part is that it solves three problems at once. For one, it's simple to install. For another it mounts on the most stable part of the SKS and it holds a zero, which is amazing for an SKS. For a third it gives me a rugged fixed replacement for the factory rear sight. The Goblin Popper is not a target rifle I don't need elevation and windage adjustment.

http://161.58.206.244/store/merchant...y_Code=skscope

Oh and it's cheap too!

Now to top it off a BSA red dot sight that uses a common watch battery can be had for around $30. It will provide the quick and dirty sight picture I want.

Finally a light... the Goblin Popper must function in low light conditions.

Tac Star should provide a nice cost effective answer.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/index.htm

If nothing else one of their barrel clamps will let me recycle a Surefire.

Total cost:

Bare bones SKS: $120
    New stock and handguard: $50ish
    Fire Sight and Sight Tools to help with installation: $ 30
    Scout Mount: $40
    Red Dot Sight: $30
    Light system: $50ish

Basically $320 by the time I'm done. Less than the cost of a used Smith and Wesson and far less than getting a Mini 30 and getting similar results.

More important I have a Goblin Popper I know how to completely dissassemble and reassemble, and I have a complete set of spare parts already.

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - sounds like one heck of a good plan. Once complete I think a nice pic will be in order!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Euc,

Have you gotten the scout mount yet? If so, do you have any thoughts on it?

Also, do you have to use tools to remove the rail so that you can access the sight in the base?
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Right now I'm pulling parts together. This is not going to be a throw it together type thing.

I have every part except for the optics and the mount. I want to make sure the rifle is functional first. I will start by simply attaching the stock and firing 20 rounds at 50 yards just to make sure the darn thing works.

I'm considering, when the next paycheck comes, sending the trigger group off to have it worked on by this outfit:

http://www.mnmpublishing.com/kivaari/index.asp

If the testimonials are to be believed, this work will dramatically improve the trigger pull, resulting in much better accuracy. It seems that most users experience a 5 pound pull with a clean break. This will send the project over budget, but I think it's probably worth it.

Right now I have a Butler Creek sporter stock, selected for its light weight and acceptable overall dimensions in addition to its appearance. The next thing to be installed will the the Williams Firesight (front sight).

There's a nick in the finish on the gas tube. I bet it's fine but replacing it might be necessary at some point.

Cost right now sits right at $250, thanks to Midway's 4th of July sale. I have not picked up the mount, the optics, nor the actual light although I do have the mounting clamp.

I am debating right now what to do for the optics. I have decided this will be my mount:

http://161.58.206.244/store/merchant...y_Code=skscope

For the optic I am debating between a cheap BSA red dot sight or a simple 2x pistol scope, which will cost more. I like the fact that the pistol scope doesn't use batteries, but I see the red dot as more useful for the intended purpose.

There will be a mounted light albeit a very crude one. TacStar barrel mount and a Brinkmann LX... That's about a $40 setup but I think it will suffice.

I anticipate that although it would be quicker handling with a side folding pistol grip stock, it should be very light and quick and innocent looking. The fact that the bayonet lug is completely ground off does make it slim and trim. The trouble is that these type rifles usually shoot high when all that weight is removed from the barrel.

Links