Defensive Carry banner

Any major problems with Bushmasters?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  f8lranger4x4 
#1 ·
Well,
After spending 3 months with a M16A2 service rifle as my constant companion, I feel the need to buy an AR. With all the training/trigger time I have/will receive on the platform, its a waste not to own one my self. I found this one:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bushmaster_16__M4_A3_.223_Carbine.html

and it seems to meet my criteria. Even though I'm used to the full length stock and barrel, what can I say, the M4geries are cool. I live close to AIM, so I can go there to buy it, and not have to pay shipping and stuff.

So, any major complaints about Bushmaster? This does not need to turn into an AR vs anything debate, however if there are any other serious contenders in the price range (say under $1,000) for a good AR, I'd like to hear about them too.

#2 ·
I have that exact model Bushmaster. It's been very reliable (only problems were with el-crapola mags I bought at the gun show), it's accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

I slapped an EoTech on it (on a LaRue riser mount) and a folding BUIS.

I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Oh, and watch out for LaRue's stuff - it's like machined crack. It would be VERY easy to spend a whole lot of money on his stuff.....

Matt

#3 ·
You wont go wrong with a Bushmaster. I do urge you to check out RRA too. Their fit and finish has a slight edge over the Bushmaster. Shooters Supply generally has the best deal on those, but you do have to order and wait.

AIM does have a sweet deal on AR mags though.

#4 ·
Another Bushmaster owner here...I have the EO Tech 512 scope too...nice weapon! You can't go wrong this 'homeland security' weapon!:hand10:

Any problems?...not if you keep it clean!

#5 ·
Yeah, I've noticed the wait on RRA's, and since I'm gonna be transitory for a while longer, that doesn't really appeal to me, I want something for this leave, and any other time I can make it back to Ohio (no use in lugging the thing to infantry school, I get a gov't model there.)

And Ret, I now have hours upon countless hours of practicing cleaning the platform, keeping it clean isn't a problem at all.

SIXTO, are you referring to that C-products with green follower for 10 bucks as the good deal on mags, or one of the other mags, cause I'm need more than a few mags too.

#6 ·
SIXTO, are you referring to that C-products with green follower for 10 bucks as the good deal on mags, or one of the other mags, cause I'm need more than a few mags too.
They are all pretty good deals. I like the green followers myself. I would also buy more 20 rnd mags than the 30's. I'm sure you figured out why this summer. Ammoman has good deals too if you want to buy a quanity of mags.

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

#7 ·
We actually didn't get to use anything except 30's, but I'd imagine the 20 rounder would make prone shooting a bit easier. Don't remember the manufacturers of all the mags, but the green follower ones tended to run the best, even with loaded up with 20+ rounds. Although some of the mags were still marked for gov't/LE use only since they were made during the AWB.

#9 ·
I bought my bushy waaaay back when they voted on the assault weapons ban. Never had any trouble with it. With the uncertainty of our national politics in the next couple of years, I am figuring on picking up some magazines and maybe a couple of stripped lowers before January of '09.

#10 ·
The only reason I have a Colt A2 Govt. Carbine is because I stumbled into a trade I couldn't turn down.

I have three friends who have Bushmasters everyone is an excellent shooter!

Nothing wrong with Bushmaster! They have good reps for reliablility and accuracy!

Probably what I would have bought myself if the Colt didn't fall into my lap!

Now all I need is a barreled flat top upper and an EOTech. New upper definitely won't be a Colt! Can't see paying $800 + for a barreled Colt upper!

Sure, I would like to keep it all Colt, but hey, at some point logic has to take over!

#11 ·
I haven't had a single problem with my Bushmaster.

Except it’s lonely. Apparently they are like dogs. They’ll be happier if you get a second one.

#14 ·
I have a Bushmaster and a colt.................Oh wait, the Commie Anti's in this state decided to ban the darn things before I was old enough to buy. I really need to move!!!!!

:rant:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.