"Black Rifles" and Cabela's

This is a discussion on "Black Rifles" and Cabela's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So this weekend I decided I'd begin shopping for a shotgun. I've been going between the Mossberg 500/590 series and the Remington 870's. Really I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Black Rifles" and Cabela's

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

So this weekend I decided I'd begin shopping for a shotgun. I've been going between the Mossberg 500/590 series and the Remington 870's. Really I'm just looking for the better deal... So I visit the Cabela's in Phoenix to shop around and see what they had - which is almost everything. They had a fine selection of Remington's, even if they were way overpriced (they wanted $680 for a 20" 870). I proceeded to ask if they carried Mossbergs.

Clerk: "No. We don't carry those."
    Me: "Really? Any reason why?"
    Clerk: "The Cabela Brothers don't advocate carrying 'Black Rifles'."

Two racks down is an excellent selection of AR-15's. I glance at them and chuckle.

Me: "Well that kinda begs the question about those Colt's, doesn't it?"
    Clerk: *laughing* "Yeah I know. It doesn't make any sense, but what can you do? That's just the way it is."

Which is true. No sense causing a fuss. I leave without buying anything (which takes a serious bit of self-control.. Not even ammo!!) But that would explain why I've never seen an AK there. Oh well, right? I just thought you guys might get a kick out of that story.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    AR's make a pretty good coyote rifle...
    "Just blame Sixto"

At least the clerk had a sense of humour about it.

VIP Member
    Will the Cabela Bros. feel better if the black rifles were painted dark earth? Fuscia? Lime green?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

HKR
    I just today found out that we are getting a Cabelas within a 1/2 hour drive of my home. How is there selection of handguns or does it vary by store? I am losing the shop with the best selection and prices in my area and am looking for alternatives. There is a Sportsmans Warehouse an hour to the north, but I can only purchase longguns there because it is out of state and nothing even remotely close has a good selection or decent prices.

GAnder Mountain has all kinds of black rifles. Everything except for AKs, evidently.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I'd call the Mossy the Saturday Night Special of shotguns. Maybe that's what the guy behind the counter meant....because it sure isn't a rifle!

Austin

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    AR's are my fav gun besides my glocks

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I'd call the Mossy the Saturday Night Special of shotguns. Maybe that's what the guy behind the counter meant....because it sure isn't a rifle!

Austin
    Nah, I knew what he meant and he knew I wasn't some dork wanting to see a 'big gun.' He was referring to the guns 'looking scary' for the general meaning. I was checking out a green 870 with a pistol grip and collaspable stock when all this went down which even added to the hilarity.

nvsble:
    I can't honestly push for Cabela's for firearms. At least not the one in Phoenix. Not for any political reason or personal grudge... but their prices, while not too terrible, are not the best you will find. However they tend to have very good selections. The gun counter at the Phoenix outlet is probably 30 yards long. Maybe bigger. Overall, I would say to go there to look for guns to fit you then ultimately shop around for that model. Their handgun choices are REALLY good... Everything from Wilson Combat 1911's to S&W .500's down to $140 no-name sidearms.

To give a good example of their prices:
    Brand New Wilson Combats were going for $2399 IIRC
    Brand New HK USP .40 Compact for $800
    Brand New Springfield XD40 4" (I think) for $539
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

You ought to look at Budsgunshop.com for a good deal on a Mossberg 500. They usually have pretty good prices on them there (500A for $254.99 delivered). They even have 20" Remington 870's there for $319.16 shipped right now.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This must not be a company-wide policy because the Kansas City store has a large selection of "black guns" including ARs and AR accessories, AK-47s, M14s, tactical shotguns, etc.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

No kidding???? Really!! Well your location lists as Phoenix.. Go check it out yourself. It's kinda funny. The store is down in Peoria off Glendale Ave & the 101... At least I think its Glendale Ave.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Six Bravo,

Have you ever checked out Summitt gun brokers? They have a very large selection of police shotguns, albeit used. Just a thought for you.

The AR15 is the number one selling rifle in the United States. There is a whole new generation of young owners that after purchasing their carry pistol are pulling funds to purchase thier first AR15. The "Black Rifle" is an rifle that every gun owner should own in his or her arsenal.

Just look on the net anyday of the week. There are more AR15's and AR15 accessories being sold than any other firearm in history.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

It's a little ironic that the Cabelas Brothers sell AR & Tactical Accs. on their website.

On another note, I went to my local Academy Sports & Outdoors and for the first time (I've ever seen) they're now carrying Bushmaster AR-15's. The clerk said that they've been selling them for about a year already. They're priced pretty reasonably and I'm seriously looking into making a purchase soon. I eyed a model with a removable handle, to later add an aiming device(Aimpoint, EOTech).
    "Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links