Picked up a like new WWII M-1 Carbine this weekend

This is a discussion on Picked up a like new WWII M-1 Carbine this weekend within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Morning everyone, A few weeks ago, I made a trade for a WWII issue M-1 Carbine, finally picked it up this weekend. The 'new to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a like new WWII M-1 Carbine this weekend

Picked up a like new WWII M-1 Carbine this weekend

Morning everyone,

A few weeks ago, I made a trade for a WWII issue M-1 Carbine, finally picked it up this weekend.

The 'new to me' M-1 Carbine is just about perfect !

It was manufactured by Underwood, the serial number is in the range of carbines made in the last quarter of 1943 or early first quarter of 1944. When I returned home and used the big lighted magnifying glass out in my shop, I found the barrel date of 2-44, so that confirms. Everything is original, the U markings are in all the correct places, so this is indeed a WWII original, not a rebuilt or a CMP version.

The carbine itself is in near perfect condition, all the metal is clean and not dinged up, everything works and performs as it should. It's definitely a shooter, all I need to do is find a place as the gun range I go to for pistol shooting won't allow rifles there.

The only thing that detracts from the carbine is that the original owner put a clear coat of lacquer on the wood parts. It looks nice and has preserved the wood, but as a 'collector', that is not desired. I need to figure out how to remove the lacquer without harming the stock or markings. He also installed an aftermarket ventilated metal hand-guard, but I received the original wood hand-guard that was on the gun, so I'll re-install it.

In this package deal, I also received two double pouch OD green magazine holders (both dated 1943), an extra sling, two oilers, four 15 round magazines (one is brand new, still in the factory wax wrapping paper) , four 30 round magazines, the clips that hold two of them together, and about 200 rounds of Winchester 30 cal. carbine ammunition.

I've been on several M1 Carbine web sights and discussion boards, have received a lot of positive comments about obtaining a non rebuilt original carbine in such perfect condition. The last owner was given the carbine by his Father, then kept it in a gun safe for 25 years.

My Canon Powershot A80 camera doesn't like closeup shots with a flash too much, I may try for some better pictures today with outdoor lighting.

I've wanted one of these ever since I had the opportunity to shoot one in Vietnam that belonged to a South Vietnamese Soldier. Needless to say, I am a very HAPPY camper !!!

2. Remove Ads

The original finish on M1 Carbines is Tung oil. You can strip the lacquer off and if the stock lightens, you can put a coat of oil on it. I've soaked some old military stocks before and then used 00 steel wool to lightly "sand" the stock. Apply the tung oil with a rag and let dry. Lightly buff with steel wool and apply another coat if you want. buff with steel wool when you're done to get rid of any sheen.
    -Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    The original finish on M1 Carbines is Tung oil. You can strip the lacquer off and if the stock lightens, you can put a coat of oil on it. I've soaked some old military stocks before and then used 00 steel wool to lightly "sand" the stock. Apply the tung oil with a rag and let dry. Lightly buff with steel wool and apply another coat if you want. buff with steel wool when you're done to get rid of any sheen.
    Thanks Mtbiker.

Any suggestions on how to remove the lacquer without harming the wood itself ?

try this:
    http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/refinishing.htm

or

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...nish/index.asp

I've used oven cleaner.... Yes, oven cleaner to strip a Mauser stock. This will take away all oil / finish. This will require staining after. You probably don't want to do this. You should try first, an orange based thinner or mineral spirits. Be careful snading around the cartouche and Proof stamp if present, you don't want to ruin the markings.

The key is to take your time and go slow. You can always do more but it's hard to undo.

Edit: where's the bayonet mount? I have an Inland similar vintage and I have the bayo mount. Mine also differs with the rotating safety (your's looks push type) and I have a flat bolt (can't tell from picture, is your's flat or round?). Your M1 might be older that mine. I'm not an M1 expert but I like to research my finds.

Fulton armory has parts for the carbines, I would sugest getting a new recoil spring. Mine shot like crap until I replaced it now it's perfect.

More info:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1Carbine.htm
    -Biker

The first time I used a M-1 carbine was also in Nam. I fell in love with them! I now own 2 and one of them is by my bed with a 15 round mag inserted and 2 15 round mags in the pouch attached to the stock.

It gives one close to .357 ballistics in a semi with high cap mags. Plus it can be used at ranges from around 10 yds, out to 150 yds or so.

My bedside carbine has a laser mounted to the bayoney lug (made the mount myself).
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Thanks guys,

CorpsVet,

Any way you could post a photo of that laser rig, and the mount you made ? I don't have a bayonet lug on this one, but I'm sure I could rig something up.....

More pictures today, out in my workshop where the light was a lot better. I replaced the metal handguard with the wood one that came with the carbine, and I was able to find a few more markings. Still have not taken the carbine apart yet to check internal markings.

Here's the carbine:

Here's the barrel markings:

Here's the mag pouch markings, I had to use the contrast feature on photoshop to darken the ink enough to read:

Here's the marking on the snaps on both slings, kinda looka a little like the Star of David emblem:

Here's the 15 round magazines that are marked, the four 30 round magazines have no markings on them at all.

Here's the full package I traded for:

Lead Moderator
    That's just beautiful!!

I do have one question thought. I thought all the carbines made during that period has bayonet lugs. That one doesn't, was the band that holds the fore stock on been changed??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Not sure about that.

The owner that i traded with has had this in his gun safe for 25 years, his Father gave it to him before that.

Everything else checks out as original, not a rebuild or CMP. All the markings are as they are supposed to be.

I did internet esearch a little and found out that there were three different barrel bands made during this period:

Type 1 is the narrow band with no bayonet lug.... (top band in the picture below, just like on this M-1 I have.

Type II is a wide band, no bayonet lug.

Type 3 is wide band with bayonet lug.

I have a few books coming, one is supposed to be the most definitive ever published on the M-1 Carbine. I'll certainly check the barrel band out a little more when I receive the books.

rstickle,

I posted your question about the barrel band over on the CMP forum, here is a reply just posted:

"Underwood didn't start using the type 2 band until around 6.1 mil. That was shortly before the end of their production, around april of 44. So the type 1 band was used exclusively before that."

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? I have a old M1 as well with a Inland MFG General Motors 1-44 stamped barrel.

It gives one close to .357 ballistics in a semi with high cap mags.
    Really? I didn't know that. Not to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone have velocity and energy ballistic charts for each that we could compare side by side?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Dave you are a lucky dog! My uncle brought back an m2 full auto. from service 50 years ago; he's dead and I don't know where it is now.
    which we grew up with.What a hoot to shoot ! I 've been looking
    for that right one up here in Maine but I have not found one for
    the right price.I had a univerisal before I knew better and that took a
    ride real quick as it fail to shoot as a rifle should.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Congrats!! Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? I have a old M1 as well with a Inland MFG General Motors 1-44 stamped barrel.
    It was included in a larger trade, but the dollar amount within the trade was $500.

VIP Member
    Very, very nice!!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    I am jealous. It is just gorgeous... congrats!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Great score. Nice example. Should be easy to strip that clear off and tongue oil the thing.

Here is my Quality Hardware and Machine company as it was, or would have been typical of them in about the Korean War period. M2 stock and later Bayonet barrel band sort of set up.

And I refinished this stock to a tongue oil finish

If you get a chance, stop by the M1 Carbine forum.... http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/default.asp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links