New Bushmaster M4

New Bushmaster M4

This is a discussion on New Bushmaster M4 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I'm impatient and life just wasn't quite right without a stoner design by my side, so I purchased myself a Bushmaster M4gery today. Its ...

New Bushmaster M4

Well, I'm impatient and life just wasn't quite right without a stoner design by my side, so I purchased myself a Bushmaster M4gery today. Its chambered in 5.56, had chrome lining, and the carrying handle is removeable so in the future I can add some sort of aiming device easily. Unfortunately the selector switch only has two settings though.

Also picked up several extra mags and I have plenty of ammo around the parent's house that I bought for my Mini-14.

Should make for a fun rifle that could possibly see some HD duty. I have plans to hit the range on friday, so I'll get my BZO set then, and I need to find somewhere to get a good 3 point sling (kinda mall ninja-ish, but its what I'm used to on the AR platform). So if anyone has suggestions for those that would be appreciated.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First, I wouldn't use a 3 pt sling ever again for my riflles. There simply too cumbersome, but that's just me. I've tried them extensively and I cannot find anyone with time down range that will ever use them again. Let me emphasize again, it's personal preference, but most are or already have written off the 3 point sling thing.

I recommend the Vickers Tactical VTAS. It's made by Blueforce Gear for about $50. You'll find that if you eventually rail out the AR15 you can place a rail mounted swivel sling mount on the rail just forward of the reciever. Forget the stock as your rear point. Use an extension sling mount that simply locks around the extension tube. This gives the shooter about a 14" spread between the front of the sling and the rear. I've found this to be my sweet spot, as well as just about everybody that uses this system. Assuming you rail out the front of the AR15. If not, then just use your sling mount on the bottom of the gas block. Tango Down and others make extension type sling mounts. Some have even opted for a single sling mount with this option. Much easier to hang the weapon and get it out of the way for transitioning to the secondary weapon.

Here's some unsolicted rec's: Get rid of the factory stock. The LMT SOPMOD or the VLTOR EMOD stock are the heat ! both have much better cheek welds for AR shooting. I'm assuming that your extension is a 5 point or 6 point extension tube (Mil-Spec/Colt) Both stocks are highly recommended by soldiers in the box. VLTOR EMOD stock supposedly beat out all other stocks in drop tests done by the U.S. Marine Corps. However, the LMT SOPMOD supposedly was next to the VLTOR EMOD stock. Both have ample room for spare batteries, both Lithium 123's and AA's. Very nice addition to your M4rgery and will enhance your shooting capability with the better cheek weld. You'll see what I mean if you decide to purchase one.

Swap out your grip. Personally I like the ERGO grip or Tango Down MIAD grip. Both are ready to be installed with a simple allen wrench and both will hold extra batteries or other small items.

You may find yourself eventually swapping out the trigger. It's a personall preference thing again. I like the Jewel two stage trigger and their not hard to install with houshold tools around. They do take some adjusting to remove trigger slap but once your adjusted, you'll never go back to a factory one stage trigger again. Again, this is personal preference.

If you rail it out: find a rail interface that does not require an AR gunsmith. If you look around enough, you'll find some like the Omega that only require one tool and no removal of the front sight gas block or any propietary locking system installantion. These are still made of the same aluminum that everybody uses.

You can find most of the above mentioned items at:

www.bravocompanyusa.com

Great people to work with and they carry all of the above mentioned items. You'll probably start looking at all the mounts, optics, BUIS/Troy and ARMS, rail systems, front flip ups, etc, etc, etc, . It's and addiction and you'll no doubt find yourself with a completley different looking rifle than what you bought. But even nicer.

Congratulations on your purchase.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase, man!!! I loved my XM15-E2S until the day I had to sell it. Here's some advice I heard when I got mine and I'm glad I took it:

Get all the 30 round mags you can afford
    Get a 10-round to shoot from the bench with
    You get what you pay for the aiming devices
    Learn BUIS and all the terms surrounding it
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Good for you! I suggest getting more guns ASAP.

Austin

Im into the double digits already austin, the collection has been slowly and surely building in the few years since I turned 18.

More 30's are on the list, I probably should get a 10 or 20 as well. The iron sights on the AR platform function perfectly well out to 500 yards or so, so even if i do switch to an optic I'll still keep a back up flip down rear sight too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyePFC View Post
    Im into the double digits already austin, the collection has been slowly and surely building in the few years since I turned 18.

More 30's are on the list, I probably should get a 10 or 20 as well. The iron sights on the AR platform function perfectly well out to 500 yards or so, so even if i do switch to an optic I'll still keep a back up flip down rear sight too.
    Mags are tricky, as you've already found out. I've purchased nothing but USGI mags with the green followers and replaced the baseplates with the Magpul "Ranger" plates.

One hint: 30 rounders work just fine, just remember to only load to 28 rounds.

Personally I never run my rifle with the rear flip up in the down position unless I'm running a secondary optic such as an Aimpoint 3x Magnifier or PVS/14 NV behind the Aimpoint M68 or EOTECH. With the 300 meter aperture you'll be able to co-witness the front sight through the Aimpoint and you should see the red dot on your front sight post, assuming you've zeroed the Aimpoint. Same holds true of the open aperture for close in work.

Just some more hints.
    Last edited by Skygod; October 8th, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Congrats, in a little more than a year I fear you will be glad you bought when you did.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

The AR Platform is...

simply fantastic. I'm very happy with my 5.56 mm AR15 by Double Star (made right up the road from me here in Kentucky), and roughly7,000 rounds in, I don't see any sign that I'll be stopping for anything other than routine maintenance and tech adjustment! As ammo gets expensive, I've been shooting it less and stockpiling more.

HOWEVER..

I've decided that this varmit slayer need a tactical/LR companion, I'm just back from work today and ready to order a brand new AR in 6.5 Grendel. Read up on the ballistics...you'll be impressed.

Now, I know that the 6.8 is a good round to go with because Remington is making the 700 in that caliber, so the ammo will be plentiful soon. But 6.5 is, and has been QUITE available since the early 1980's. Further, it outperforms the 6.8 at long range, and only succumbs slightly in close-range effectiveness to the .308. Amazingly, Grendel ammunition has been show effective to 1400 yards! I'm not claiming to be able to shoot that consistently, but SOMEBODY has...

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to reach anyone AT Alexander Arms regarding a purchase to our FFL, so I'm trying to go through a vendor instead of direct. I'm certain that I'll have my new Grendel 6.5 on the way soon, I may have to go through Sabre Defence to get it. No slam on Sabre, but I'm determined to go for the one made by the guy who created it. Sabre AR's are to slobber over, so don't mob this post with indignant objections...I love 'em, and I may own one sooner rather than later!

Anyway, long dissertation on a CC forum, but what the heck...this is fun, right?!! Congrats on the beauty!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Good for you! I suggest getting more guns ASAP.

Austin
    At this point, I would think money is better spent on ammo.

PFC, dont forget to pick up plenty of spare parts. They tend to get scarce sometimes. DPMS puts out packages of common needed parts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links