Which one and why?

This is a discussion on Which one and why? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which one and why? I am considering an AK vs. an M1 Carbine. I know that I am talking “apples and oranges”, but I’m just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one and why?

Which one and why?

Which one and why?

I am considering an AK vs. an M1 Carbine. I know that I am talking “apples and oranges”, but I’m just not so sure that they are that much different for my purposes. I am looking for a reasonably accurate carbine for shooting at ranges of 250 yards and less. I have an M1 Carbine that I still have not decided whether or not I like, the but stock is about 1 inch too short for my comfort, but it is reasonably accurate and the .30 Carbine round performs better than most people seem to think. It is also light weight and VERY easy to maneuver.

The two things that concern me about the M1 are, as I mentioned, the stock is a bit shorter than I prefer (I think it is referred to as “reach” but am not sure) and as I look at ammo pricing I am just not finding a whole lot of it out there while I see 7.62x39 ammo everywhere in large quantities.

So here is the question….. For CQB out to about 250 yards which one would you choose, and why (The AR is just not an option, I cannot afford even a base model)?

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,
    Tim………….

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I'd go with the AK,

• Parts availability
    • Future upgrades
    • Ammo availability
    • Mags are cheap

Also, I don't think the M1 Carbines have made any "lists", get an AK now, and keep the M1, they are really handy rifles.

Edited to add, if you need to sell your M1 Carbine, I NEED to buy it

Administrator
    I agree with JD. I would have a hard time selling an M1 though to replace it with an AK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the replies!

No question about it, the M1 Carbine isn’t going anywhere. It has no collectable value since it is a BlueSky “Import” and it has been rebuilt, but it is a fun little gun and I will keep it regardless.

It’s just that I have this thing about having a backup. Sooooo I will either get a second M1 Carbine or I will get 2 AK type rifles. I could get the two AK rifles for just about $150.00 - $200.00 more than I could get the second M1. That I could justify (I can get the Lancaster for about $450.00 or maybe a tad bit less while a new Auto-Ordinance M1 is a bit over $600.00).

I had not thought about the parts availability, but I have noticed the disparity in the ammo availability.

One more point in favor of the AK…

Of the two, I'd got with the AK, but only because of cartridge performance and no other reason...... I had one, sold it (didn't care for it)....bought it as a close range deer rifle; shot patterns.....not groups.....at 50 yards. Ammo is cheap and readily available, but most if it is from 3rd world countries, and quite frankly, after all the crap with the lead paint from China, I don't think I'll be putting that ammo in ANY of my guns anytime soon!

....Also, with regards to the short stock you were previously talking about....you might want to avoid the Chicom models; the one I had was a tad shorter than those made in the eastern bloc countries. Just a word of caveat emptor.

Good luck.

This is the same thing I have been thinking about and AR, AK, and M1 have all been on my list. I have been leaning hard towards the AR.

The lead paint comment confuses me. Most bullets I buy are lead based.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    while I see 7.62x39 ammo everywhere in large quantities.
    BlackJack, that statement speaks volumes for buying an AK. Also, the 7.62 can still be bought at a fairly reasonable price. Keep your M1 and get a couple of AK's. Your M1 definately has it's place in the scheme of things.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I like the M1 Carbine better than the AK which is neither fish nor fowl to me. The M1 Carbine is light and handy, better balanced, stows easily, is dead reliably, and spare parts are still available. Saw some quite reasonably priced .30 Carbine ammo at the Fort Worth gun show today. If I require more "pop" than a .30 Carbine can deliver I'll reach for the M1 or M1A rather than an intermediate cartridge.

This is my regular companion to our family acreage on Lake Leon. An Underwood contract rifle dated 10-43.

The next step up in "oomph". A June of'44 produced Springfield M1. I guess I buy American.

Call me traditional because I would choose the M1. My Carbine truly handles like a dream...short reach and all. Much easier to stow and lug around. Plus it is an very quick and easy handling little gun. The power of a .30 Carbine round is on par with a very stout .357 Magnum. While definitely not up in the rifle power region, for the package...it is not too bad in my opinion. Inside the distances you have described, the M1 Carbine would do quite well.
    Last edited by Creature; October 14th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.

I say AK too. The .30 Carbine just won't do it for out to 250 yards. Great for HD but the round just doesn't have much power for a rifle.

Austin

250 yards or less? No way with the 30 Carbine! Ak it out and buy it with all the goodies like a folding stock, bayonet, Ak74 type muzzlebrake and a grab bag of high cap mags!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Buy the 2 AKs now and save up and get another M1 Carbine later, better to have redundancy in backup.

Ak's have short stocks too, so be prepared to buy aftermarket furniture.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    At 250 yards I think I'd want something I could mount a scope on easily. Neither the M1 carbine or the AK is something I'd want to depend on at 250 yards. As much as it pains me to say, of the two, the AK is probably more suited to that distance, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    At 250 yards I think I'd want something I could mount a scope on easily. Neither the M1 carbine or the AK is something I'd want to depend on at 250 yards. As much as it pains me to say, of the two, the AK is probably more suited to that distance, though.
    I agree with AutoFan

I personally think the M1 carbine at 200+ is beyond its effective range for anything but plinking. As for the AK it is effective at 200+ if you have one that is accurate enough at that range, something mine wasn't. It was traded for an AR.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links