Lever gun lesson please!

This is a discussion on Lever gun lesson please! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Shooterer I have a 45-70 Marlin 1895 Guide Rifle in stainless (unported). The best "brush gun" I ever had. At the range, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever gun lesson please!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooterer View Post
    I have a 45-70 Marlin 1895 Guide Rifle in stainless (unported). The best "brush gun" I ever had.

At the range, I love the looks from others when I touch it off (the 18" barrel is loud, I'm glad its not ported)
    Luv mine as well.......it is a little obnoxious (but that's a plus).
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I love mine. "Winchester" (read as Uberti Replica) 1873 short rifle in .44 WCF. Though I load for CAS only, one can put together a respectable hunting load. This rifle put many a meal on the table during America's expansion west.
    Click on thumbnails:

'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

I have the Marlin 336c(30/30) and it makes a great brush gun. It is heavier than the winchester 94 though. I think that's probably why it FEELS like a lighter recoil. I like the smoother action too. If I can ever garner up enough extra spending cash again, I may get me another Marlin but in the 45/70 for a little extra boom.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have a Winchester 94AE in .44. I love it for under 100yds in brush.

I've been thinking of getting a .30-30 for longer yardage but can't give up on my .270

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have a Marlin model 1895 in 45-70, the one with the 22 inch barrel, blue steel, walnut stock. New safety
    The gun is a charming machine. Works perfectly. You can buy the cowboy loads in 45-70 for light duty, and Garret and some other guys make some real stout stuff for dinosaurs, and so on.
    Now, Hornady makes their Leverevolution (?) 45-70 ammunition that has pointed bullets. they acheive this by using some high tech polymer for the tips. It increases usable range about 50 yds (I am not an expert!), so you could safely hunt deer out to over 100 yds, maybe 150 with a scope. (Scopes look weird on lever guns,imho). I would think a lever gun with those rounds would be very competitive with the 30-30, but what do I know?
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Okay, so it seems the majority of responders here likes Marlin rifles.

Going back to my original question, what does a Marlin have over a Winchester...or vice versa?

Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70.

"Going back to my original question, what does a Marlin have over a Winchester...or vice versa?"

The Marlin is still in production at this time.

A Winchester 94, at least a pre-64 is a joy to use and rich in tradition and well-earned respect. The Winchester will outpace the Marlin in future collector's value. A 1964 Winchester Model 94 or one of the next few years afterwards often feel like a bunch of tin cans being stirred when it is cycled. Function is still great. Wish I'd kept my raggy 1964 vintage Model 94 "truck gun".

A Marlin Model 336 in .30-30 is generally more accurate, argueably stronger, and more pleasant to shoot than a Winchester Model 94 Carbine.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; October 17th, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

Marlin makes 2 actions (rifle, and carbine). Winchester has made a ton of models in the past, but the last produced was the 94 (a 30/30 rifle action often chambered in carbine). Other Win models are more suited for big game or carbine use - but are $$$.

I have a Win 92 and really like it, but since we are discussing Win 94 then... The Marlin 336 action is stronger than the 94 (it is also heavier), the Marlin Carbine is the rifle of choice for SASS competition (dependable, durable, etc...). Unless you just want a Winchester, or want a very small light brush gun in 30/30 - I would favor the Marlin.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Levers are not my thing . However if i would choose to own one , the blr ( browning lever rifle ) would be top on the list of them , Marlin would fall shortly behind . The reason for this is that the two actions will hold up better than strictily traditional winchester/henry actions. They take mor pressure and can be chambered to usefull ctgs .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I've got a Marlin 336 in 30-30, great little brush gun for whitetails. My only experience with a Winchester lever gun was my Dad's Canadian Centennial - beautiful collector's piece but weighed about three tons with it's octagon barrel (hey, I was 8 or 9 the last time I shouldered it).

The one outstanding difference between the two designs that always sticks in my mind is that the Winchester's top eject tended to throw hot brass down the front of my shirt , the Marlin's side eject never caused that problem.
    Jack

i got a 30-30 and a 35 rem. both are good guns for hunting and protection. look for the older guns (1970's), they are the best.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

A vintage Savage Model 99 makes an elegant lever action rifle. The strong action will handle some pretty high intensity cartridges and the late vintage rifles could be had in .243, .284, .308, and .358. For that matter the .250 and .300 Savage cartridges are no slouches either.

This is a mid-fifties 99 chambered for .300 Savage. It's a relatively recent acquisition, purchased to replace the one I used for many years but later sold. Took 20+ deer with that first 99 .300 Savage.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    The Savage 99 is a fine rifle. I have two of the Winchester model 88's in 308. They have been excellent lever guns as well. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Marlin 444 lever. It packs quite a punch and is a great brush gun. I enjoy shooting a good lever action rifle. The Marlin actions seem to be a little stouter then the Winchester 94's.
    Last edited by Gunnutty; October 20th, 2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I have the Marlin 336SS...a .30-.30 in stainless...
    I just bought it a few months ago without a scope just a fiber optic front site. My intention was just to have it as a 'SHTF' HD weapon in the stash.
    I had a similar .30-.30 decades ago, and like many of my weapons, I sold it for someother weapon...regretted it, and now I can sort of reclaim my favorites.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links