Defensive Carry banner

Ruger Mini-14 or Kel-Tec SU-16 (A or CA model)?

9K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  BigEFan 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying one or two new carbines in .223/5.56. I've narrowed it down to the two in the thread title.

I've weighed some of the pros-cons of both, but I'm at a stopping point and can't really make up my mind. Perhaps you guys have some insight that I'm not thinking about.

So, price is about the same. Ruger is around 100 more or so depending upon the Kel-Tec Model. For my intents and purposes, its close enough.

Both shoot the .223. Magazines for both are cheap. Edge to Kel-Tec because it uses AR mags.

Are availability of spare parts the same?

The Kel-Tec is slightly lighter. However, I've read that gets hot with a quickness, whereas, I'm assuming the Ruger will stand up to sustained shooting better.

Accuracy of both is going to be acceptable. I'm not looking for a MOA rifle here.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
The Ruger heats up very quickly, as well... Not that that really answers your question...

#4 ·
That is a tough choice... I think I'd take a leap of faith and go with the Keltec. I dont know much about them, but the AR mag factor is not to be ignored. Mini 14 mags are getting harder and harder to find, an a lot of the ones on the market now are junk. Plus, if there is another ban, AR mags will be far easier to get than mini 14 mags.

#10 ·
BigEFan, thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep it all in mind. Although, I'm not eventually going to the AR. Bigger fan of the AK platform, but starting to really like the idea of a light .223 beater type rifle. That and I don't really care for pistol grips on a rifle. (use a Saiga AK)

Google Fu failed me. I just saw mags that looked cheap. This is another strike against the Ruger.

you can put our new collapsible, sidefolding stock on it!

shipped for $109.00! (and LE / Military folks get dealer discount direct!)
That stock makes it look like a space rifle. Cool, but not a big fan of the pistol grip.

#9 ·
Sammy, I have both guns, so I offer my opinion for what it is worth. Hands down, if I could only keep one, I would keep the Kel-Tec CA Model.

Here is why:

1) You already stated it, it takes the M16/AR Mags which are really in abundance. Besides, if you live where you are not a criminal for owning guns then your goal should be to eventually have a nice AR and you will benefit from not having to have two different types of mags.

2) The gun is very light and a joy to carry when going for a hike, camping or trail riding. The fact that the gun folds very nicely allows you to carry it in a backpack very discreetly.

3)I stated the CA model because I don't like the C model stock (although it has its benefits) and the C model is illegal in my communist state. The CA Model has the sights closer to the end of the stock instead of the end of the barrel and it is a steel sight at that. While you may get a better sight picture I have found that having the sight sit back protects it from being beaten up. If you are using this as a utility rifle it will be prone to getting beat up and better protected and more durable sight will save you headaches down the road. Also, you wont have to remove the sights on the C/CA model if you decide to add a tactical scope (I highly recommend).

4) I have some really nice rugers in my collection and Ruger makes a very durable, reliable, cost effective weapon but I have never gotten over their stance on hi cap mags and I would not have bought the Mini had I not gotten at a basement price (around $150).

The Mini is a nice gun, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it has the versatility or the features the Kel-Tec does.

If you decide to get the Ruger, you will be happy, but take my word, ONLY BUY RUGER BRAND MAGS. I have yet to find any other brand that works reliably in my 181 series mini.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

#11 ·
Ruger parts are "challenging" to come by, depending on the part you need. Ruger is exceedingly loathe to sell parts, without an exchange from the gunsmith (Ruger Certified), or sending your weapon to the factory. I've not dealt with Kel-Tec, but I will assume they are somewhat more understanding. A call should settle the question.

I had a Mini-14. If I wanted a durable, reasonably accurate rifle, and had the money/time to lay in 20 or more magazines; and 2extractors, 2 firing pins, 1 hammer, all springs, and a new gasblock, I might. Otherwise.... the Kel-Tec makes more sense, unless you just can't stand the feel of it.:wink:

#13 ·
Thanks, no one had chimed in on availability of parts yet. If Kel-Tec treats their rifles like they do their pistols, parts will be very easy to get.

I will agree that the 'black rifle' look isn't for everybody. Since the weapon was essentially a scaled down civilian Mini30, it is sometimes a nice alternative to an AR in .223. We figured that, since you can always buy an original stock directly from Ruger, we should make something for a different demographic. Fotunately, Ruger loved it at the last SHOT Show, and we're working to have an option available directly from them.
Oh, I like the black rifle look, just don't care for a pistol grip. Never have. They may be awesome for some folks, just not for me.

Since the pistol grip and buttstock are no different from what you'll find on any AR15 (except that this one features the side folding option), I assume you feel that 'black-tical' rifles fit the 'spacegun' label. I'lll further surmise that there isn't anything fitting your tastes in the realm of 'assault' weapons, anyway (unless you include OLD stuff...Tommy Guns and M1, M4...probably should, at that).

The purist will always have wood, and that is very cool. But pretty much everything made for CQ combat these days has a pistol grip.
Yeah, I know. I wouldn't really call myself a purist. I like the black rifle look and feel, I just don't like the pistol grip. That's why I went with the Saiga for my AK. I've done some stuff to it, but until I get the replacement stock, its still black.

I really do like the space rifle look, it wasn't intended to come across as detrimental.

#14 ·
well if you are not looking for MOA then what are you looking for? I'd say a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is good for a "truck gun" for a farmer but then again so is a M44 or a Mauser

#16 ·
A 2 MOA (or so) semi-auto rifle that's reliable and fits my preferences. Basically a truck gun, I guess, but I've pigeon holed it into these two choices. Just trying to decide which one is a better choice for me and figured some opinions from others could be very helpful.

#28 ·
I have a Mini 14 Ranch rifle that I carry in my truck. It goes bang every time. It has a scope and I hit what I am aiming at. I use steel magazines with no problem and I never paid $70 to $100 dollars for them. It has never had anything break. What are guys talking about when you are talking down Ruger.

P.S. It works like my M1A. Don't have to change methods.

Semper Fi

#30 ·
I think most downtalk about Ruger has everything due with the Clinton AWB support Ruger Sr. was involved with. I had heard he didn't particularly support the AWB so much as take an advisory role in its formulation, but that turned me off. I think the company as a whole is beginning to regain some of my respect. Forgiveness is divine, so they say. Still...LOVE their guns.

#29 ·
Intended Use?

If backpacking is on your agenda, I think the main advantage of the Kel-Tec is it's weight and folding stock design. For sturdiness and long term reliability, I would (and did) go with the Mini. The Kel-Tec just felt too flimsy/plastic for me. That built in forend bi-pod looks like a part destined to malfunction.

If you are not looking for a folder, I think the Mini's weight makes it more shootable, and for a truck gun it's a perfect size.

#31 ·
If backpacking is on your agenda, I think the main advantage of the Kel-Tec is it's weight and folding stock design. For sturdiness and long term reliability, I would (and did) go with the Mini. The Kel-Tec just felt too flimsy/plastic for me. That built in forend bi-pod looks like a part destined to malfunction.

If you are not looking for a folder, I think the Mini's weight makes it more shootable, and for a truck gun it's a perfect size.
More for a light SHTF rifle. Backpacking will fall into that. I like the Keltec foldability, but its not really required as I'd be shuffling it around to get it out and into action.

I really want to get a pair of these so that I have one just like my old lady has. She likes the SKS, but not the AK. While they have the same ammo, I think its easier to just have one type of mags, etc. So, maybe the Mini-14/Keltec is the way to go.

I've read a lot of pros and cons for both the last few days searching and in this thread. It's a tough call.

#32 ·
The newer mini-14 ranch rifles are great. I bought one last year, and I can consistently hit what I aim at. Now, that being said, currently for the factory 20 round mags you are looking between 40-50 dollars. I stand behind the fact that Ruger makes a great gun and have not had to have any replacement parts for it. I didn't get it for how it looked, but rather I got the gun because of the feel. It easily tucks into the shoulder, fires evenly with little to no recoil. The only thing I need is a flash suppressor to help dissapate the gas to reduce muzzle rise. Other than that I wouldn't trade the gun for the world. I bought mine brand new for $530, which at the time was much more affordable than my desired SA M1A.

#33 ·
25 years ago I owned a Mini-14 and never liked it. The gas system would on occasion screw up on me and the accuracy sucked. I sold it and picked up a Colt SP-1 AR-15. While it was more accurate I ended up selling it several years later for a Bushmaster Varminter. It shoots 5 times better then either one of the others and I can shoot .285" groups with it at 100 yards. As for the Kel-Tec, sorry don't know a thing about them.

#34 ·
I actually let my old lady decide. She liked the weight of the SU16 over the Mini14. And the left over money can buy some ammo. Not a lot because .223 is insane now, but I reload anyway, so I don't see it as much as some.

I picked up a CA and got her a C (folding stock). Pretty happy with them so far, but want to put a few more hundred rounds into them before I start stocking parts (which are cheaper and easy to get from Kel-Tec). I like the look of the Mini-14, but Ruger has shot theirself in the proverbial foot with accessories for it.

Thanks everyone for their advice.

#35 ·
I think you will be happy with the Kel-Tec. I love my CA Model and we have a lot of fun shooting it. If you decide to go the cheap route on ammo and get Wolf or Brown Bear, carry a .22 caliber cleaning rod because those cheap steel cases will break from time to time and it takes a cleaning rod to get them out.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.