PC4 range report-HD ready? Carbine Crazy 2

This is a discussion on PC4 range report-HD ready? Carbine Crazy 2 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The PC4 I had bought sight unseen arrived today. It is in pretty good shape, with only minor scuffs and the typical wear marks of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC4 range report-HD ready? Carbine Crazy 2

Administrator

PC4 range report-HD ready? Carbine Crazy 2

The PC4 I had bought sight unseen arrived today. It is in pretty good shape, with only minor scuffs and the typical wear marks of light use. The bore is bright and sharp. I expect no problems with this carbine.

On to my opinions of the Ruger PCC's. This is a handy, perfect sized carbine. It is a little of the hefty side, but I dont plan on doing any road marches with it so it should be fine.

Speaking of hefty, this thing is built like a tank. But, I really shouldnt have to mention that because it is a Ruger after all. Why is that important in a light duty carbine? I want it to last forever, and it might not be lightly used as intended. You never know, and its primary purpose is a defensive carbine.

The charging handle is a good design- this is one of the things that killed a lot of the other options for a PCC. Most where a little flimsy or in a poor location. Ruger kept it simple, oversized and of course in Ruger tradition; Robust! I tend to abuse these things to clear the gun in a hurry, so that was important to me and probably most buyers as well.

Sights, I'm not sure if I like them or not just yet. I'll have to wait until I get on the range. I bought the ghost ring version. They are very quick and easy to find/line up while shouldering the carbine. This is all good, but I've never been a huge fan of a ghost ring system. It is very similar to an AR set up, so I expect no problems. I am thinking about mounting a C-More type system on the gun, but I'm not sure yet. Also, the front post is going to get replaced or at least painted to a bright color.

The trigger isnt as bad as some would have you believe. Its no match grade trigger, but its not a match gun. It's a little on the heavy side, but the pull is smooth and it breaks crisp. The reset is short, so follow up shots should be easy.

The handling of this gun is pretty impressive. I moved through a few doorways with it, it handles well. I almost like it better than a AR for CQB duties. It reminds me a little of a fixed stock MP5, except the front end is a little longer. It comes around and up quick, very impressive for a Ruger.

Now, for the bad. Magazines- They are tough to find in any more capacity than 11. Ruger factory mags are spendy too. The only aftermarket makers that I've found are ProMag. With their less than perfect record, I'm hesitant to buy any.
    However, I do think there is more than a glimmer of hope. I'm pretty sure I've solved the magazine issue. My solution is easy, cheap and they are available everywhere. No, I didnt do the Glock conversion. I wont report any further until I've tested it and I'm sure I'm right. I will say that I'm 99.9% percent sure I've solved this issue.

I'm still looking for a light mount for this carbine, I would like to mount a G2 to the gun, or another inexpensive light. If you know of anything, please let me know.

Coming up next is the range report. However, apparently its monsoon season for the day in SW Ohio, so it might be awhile before I go to the range. I dont like muddy ranges.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 18th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Administrator
    Give it time JD, give it time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Need pics
    ďYou can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.Ē

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Just messin with you, the initial write up is good, can't wait to hear how it shoots!

Lead Moderator
    Looks like a bigger version of the 10/22 carbine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Looks like a bigger version of the 10/22 carbine.
    It does, its the same basic design too. I'm looking for my camera dock now, seems as if the wife decided it belongs elsewhere in the house. Right now, it looks just like every other PC4/9 so I may not bother until I take it to the range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I always liked the way my 10/22 handled, imagine your PC4 would be similar. Glad ya like it. So you decided against the AR pistol caliber carbine?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I always liked the way my 10/22 handled, imagine your PC4 would be similar. Glad ya like it. So you decided against the AR pistol caliber carbine?
    No, I have one of those on the way too. I'm not sure if I will keep it though if the Ruger proves worthy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nice acquisition looks like they are pretty solid pieces.

It's only 6.4lbs, thats less than an M-16, so ya should be able to road march it to the range in tommorows monsoon ok.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I thought it was going to rain more than it did today, but there is tornado warnings now. So, we'll see. Luckily the road march to the range is only a couple of miles, and I'm mechanized.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    If you like it, are you going to get a P series pistol to keep with it, don't they share the same mags, that would make a pretty good SHTF combo.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    If you like it, are you going to get a P series pistol to keep with it, don't they share the same mags, that would make a pretty good SHTF combo.
    I do have a P series pistol that I have kept just for SHTF situations. To bad its a 9mm. I would have prefered to have the 9mm carbine, but they are tough to find now.
    It not a big deal to me though, as I have a lot of .40 and 9mm. I do think the 9mm is better for shtf, simply because its cheaper and more common.
    If I cant find a PC9, I will pick up a P40 or two when I find them cheap enough, just to have on hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator

Stage 1 of SIXTO's proving ground.

I took the PC4 with me to my friends range today. The order of the day was property maintenance, and we both were short on time.

My main goal after the chores was to run a box through the carbine just to make sure it functioned properly. I made up a mixed box of Blazer aluminum case, PMC brass, Gold Dots, and other garden variety loose stuff I had laying around. I just to make sure it could handle a variety. It did.

First shooting impression was very good. It was surprisingly accurate, but I didnít get the chance to shoot it beyond 35 yds. I just didnít have the daylight time left. I had no problems hitting the heads of bowling pins at 35 yds. In fact, it was very easy. My friend also did equally as well with it. Its an easy, fun gun to shoot.

It was also super easy to move with the carbine, cover and switch targets. It handles like a much more expensive SMG.

The gun functioned flawlessly. I did not have any issues at all with it. It was very boring. No matter how fast I shot, ammo used it worked.

There was little to no recoil... it was almost like shooting a rimfire. My 3 year old son even shot it several times, and wanted to shoot it more. (With my help of course)

Now hereís the thing I didnít like... The mag release is on the wrong side. I grew up on the AR platform, I'm used to that lay out. The mag release is on the opposite side.

The trigger was on the heavy side, but I knew that going in.

The other problem is the mags run dry to quick! Its so fun to shoot, and the stock 12 rounders are empty before you know it. I really need to make up some 20's.

The barrel and the whole front end of the gun heats up quick. I need to look into a heat shield or shroud... I donít think anybody makes one though.

I'm going to say this Ruger is a keeper. The friend I was with today is a "why would anyone want a pistol caliber rifle" kinda guy. When we left, he wanted me to find him a PC4 of his own.

I intend on doing a more intense review of the gun when time permits me too. If there is interest, I'll do a complete report on the build up that is sure to follow.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Just to reiterate some earlier sentiment:

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Sorry Sixto if I am

but it still stands

I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links