Would like to purchase a M4 but need some help.

This is a discussion on Would like to purchase a M4 but need some help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Guys, I'm looking at getting a M4. I was wondering where can I purchase one over the internet and which one is a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would like to purchase a M4 but need some help.

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting a M4. I was wondering where can I purchase one over the internet and which one is a good brand? Any help will be appreciated.

Lead Moderator
    Check out www.ar15.com for lots of links for sellers and info too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

ar15.com is a good start for research. The technical forums are good, just ignore the general discussion crowd.

My vote goes to bushmaster. Their rifles have always worked for me (thousands and thousands of rounds) and thier customer service has been stellar.
    The Marshmallowist

I assume your mean an AR15 in the "M4" configuration. If not, then your out of luck as the only select full auto AR's are going to be pre-1986. They too can be worked over with suttle changes to accomodate the "M4" look and performance. But, I'm guessing your looking for an AR15 with a retractable stock, 16" barrel, flat top etc.

What's your budget ? IMHO the best rifle going is LMT (Lewis Machine Tool) However, this is not an $800 rifle. Just the lower with the SOPMOD stock (Defender model/semi auto) and a plain upper with standard fixed sight gas block will cost about $1400, and that's without any type of rail system or optics. Add in the cost of the bolt and bolt carrier and your now up to about $1600, but LMT is hand down the best machined AR15's in the business. In my opinion. But many here may explain that uppers are uppers and lowers are lowers I understand that line of thinking.

On the other hand, just about any of the larger name brands are decent rifles and will run perfectly if maintained and lubed properly. Take your pic. Olympic, Armalite, Stag, Bushmaster, etc. As of now, the gas piston systems are becoming even more desirable from LRWC and POF and even a gas piston drop in system from PWS (Primary Weapons.com)

Personally I see no need for a civillian plinker rifle with a gas piston system unless it's just your thing and your not shy with your pocket book. They do run cooler and are more reliable in austere conditions. That's not to say that any DI system isn't reliable, but the gas piston system is another option now available. I don't own one yet, but I see no problem in urban warfare or plinking with a standard DI system.

Most rifles from most manufacturers are made to Mil-Spec conditions. Most will have a "Wylde" chamber or what is referred to as the "Wildcat" chamber or simply be chambered for Nato 5.56. You can fire all day long with standard .223 Win in a Nato chamber or "Wylde" chamber. Just don't go with any AR that is not chambered for Nato 5.56 or is "Wylde" chambered. You may find your self limited in ammo surplus if your chamber is only a .223 Win pressured tested chamber.

Do some reseach, as suggested. Most find themselves over whelmed with the options and configurations that the AR15 can behold. For instance, do want this rifle to reach out to 500 meters effectively ? If so then a 10" barrel SBR is not going to take you out that far. Hence the reason that I suggest no shorter than a 16" barrel, made of Chrome Moly and Chrome lined. Stainless bull barrels are nice, but they are more expensive, though much more accurate than standard Mil-Spec barrels. For instance. I have a Les Baer AR15 with a stainless bull barrel, no flash hider or compensator. It is set up as an M4 clone, but will hold 1/2 MOA at 100 meters all day long if I do my part behind the trigger and the glass. Most Mil-Spec barrels are lucky to hold 1.5 to 2 MOA even in a bench at that same distance. Obviously the chamber is a "Match" chamber also. Just depends on what you want your rifle to achieve for you.

You'll also find any number of accessories for your AR15 rifle. These can be anything from types of stocks, such as the VLTOR EMOD to the LMT SOPMOD or just a plain retractable stock. Back up iron sights from Troy Ind or A.R.M.S, Single inferface rail systems for replacement of your handguards. I like the Daniel Defense Omega Carbine rail system. It does not require any smith to install and is a free float system. You'll want optics and the best mounts. Aimpoint, EOTECH and possibly magnifiers running behind them. This alone with decent mounts will run as much as a decent rifle. You'll have over $2500 into an off the shelf rifle in no time when you start to see these items for the AR15. Be careful, this may get you divorced, or thrown out of the house.

I'd take my time, look around the web, and do plenty of research before purchasing the first thing that looks like an "M4" You may find your self resenting your first purchase if you dont.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

VIP Member
    I prefer M4carbine.net over AR15.com

First choice: Noveske N4 Light Carbine
    Second Choice: Colt LE 6920
    Third: LMT Defender 2000

I have a Bushmaster and two Stag Arms lowers...my next AR purchase will be one of the three I mentioned, above.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I prefer M4carbine.net over AR15.com

First choice: Noveske N4 Light Carbine
    Second Choice: Colt LE 6920
    Third: LMT Defender 2000

I have a Bushmaster and two Stag Arms lowers...my next AR purchase will be one of the three I mentioned, above.
    I like John Noveskes stuff, but you'll pay the piper for his products. I have one of his stainless barrels torqued into an LMT upper with his low profile gas block and the LaRue Tactical Mid Length rail system.

It's spooky how accurate his barrels are with the Match Mod O chamber if used the the Mk262 Black Hills ammo.

Ok, back on topic.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

VIP Member
    Pay the piper for a Noveske?.....you got that right! Not cheap at all. But primo quality.

Skygod...if you got a digital camera...take a photo of your LMT and post it...I'd love to see it.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Pay the piper for a Noveske?.....you got that right! Not cheap at all. But primo quality.

Skygod...if you got a digital camera...take a photo of your LMT and post it...I'd love to see it.
    Will do shortly once I get a decent camera. It's the SPR barrel, 18" with Match Mod O chamber and polygonal rifling. I nixed the KX3 Hider for a Vortex hider though. That KX3 just looks to funky hanging off a long barreled upper. Better with SBR rifles.

You used to be able to purchase the LaRue Tactical uppers with Johns barrels torqued in, but that relationship disolved for some reason. I'm not in the know as to why.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Ammo availability and price of 5.56mm and .223 has really changed over the last 3 and 2 and 1 years, availability very low and prices very high.

Consider Colt AR-15 Model 6450 in 9mm with 20 and 32 rd magazines.

You could always build your own using parts from different vendors.
    I did!!!
    I built all three for about $800 ea. w/o the goodies.
    Mine is on the right:

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I love this site! Thank you all for the replies. Seems like I still need a lot of research to do but I appreciate giving me somewhere to start. My budget is around $1000. I'm about 1/2 way there so during the time I am saving I want to do research so when the fund is complete I will know what to get. Again thanks to everyone and for helping me out.

Have you looked at Smith&Wessons MP15? It is a great gun, reliable, reliable, reliable...I shot about 2000 rds without a single hiccup.using wolf,S&B,winchester,WolfMC...it has taken all types of ammo, though I have only used c-products and hk mags. Accuracy..do I even have to mention it? By the way only using the iron sites right on the money at 50-75 yds...At 100 yds I blame my eyesight for the 10" groups

pay the $$$ and get a colt or a rock river arms. i got both and they are hard to beat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

If I could buy one it would be the Bushmaster. They seem to be best bang for the buck. I would also consider building your own.

Either way get one while you can..............
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Build your own and you can have a very nice rifle!!!
    Mine is in the middle, and I have never had a malfunction other than due to ammo!
    The specs:
    RRA upper and lower receivers, internals
    Bushmaster 14.5 in. bbl w/ 1.5 in. Phantom flash suppresser
    LMT mil. spec buttstock
    Knights Arm. railed hand guard
    YHM buis rear sight
    EOTech 512 rev F red dot sight
    DD flashlight mount w/ cheap Surefire light

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links