M1 Garand vs M1A/M14

M1 Garand vs M1A/M14

This is a discussion on M1 Garand vs M1A/M14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm trying to decide which is best. I'll use this gun for shooting targets, possibly hunting, and defending my property if I end up needing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand vs M1A/M14

M1 Garand vs M1A/M14

I'm trying to decide which is best. I'll use this gun for shooting targets, possibly hunting, and defending my property if I end up needing to. I'm leaning towards the Garand right now.

Opinions solicited! Thanks

Austin

JD
    Administrator
    The key factor in this is hunting, I'd take the 30-06 over the .308, the next big factor is target shooting, a ton of good loads for the '06, as for defense, I think it would do, but would not be my preference.

Also, M14/M1A mags are too darned expensive.

Administrator
    If it was just for the purposes you said, I'd buy the M1 because of the collector value alone.
    However, if I really thought it mght become a battle rifle (again) I'd buy the M14.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Since I've got 2 M-1's I'd take the M1A.

For battle, the ability to stick another 20-30 round mag in there nice and quick like would be plus.

The 50-100 FPS difference vs. the 06 is minor in actual shootings. If you get hit with either you'll never notice.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have both. The grunts in WWII loved the Garand 'cause if you ran out of ammo, you could beat many men to death without any worries about splitting the stock. OTOH the major down side is that en bloc CLIP and the troubles associated with that: Only eight rounds. No ability to top it off. The tell tale noise when it ejects letting your opponent know you've just run out of ammo. You have to use special 5 rd clips for hunting. As far as hunting power factors and range...there's not much difference between the 308 and there's a reason the snipers like it more for accuracy. I think it has something to do with the space in the neck of the case being longer in the .30-06 than in the .308.

I have my M1A set up for ultra long range targets with a Harris bi-pod and a 3x10 Shepherd range finding scope.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    You have to use special 5 rd clips for hunting.
    I'd say that depends on his state (I didn't look at his location). Here in Kentucky we are allowed 10 + 1. No one needs that, but it's nice not to have to buy a special mag/clip.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Great input so far - thanks to everyone, and keep it coming!

Austin

I have both and use them in local high-power matches as well as some long rage plinking fun. The M1 is my favorite of the two rifles. I must be all thumbs as I can accomplish the required reload in the rapid-fire stages more quickly with the M1 than with the M14. No magazine change-out with the M1 when it shoots dry it's clear for the reload. Just reach for the next clip and zip it in, bump the bolt and your off and running again. Speedy-do! With the M1A one must release the empty magazine and replace it with the charged magazine. I sometimes get a bit bogged down with insertion of the magazine when attempting to reload the M1A rapidly. Then the motion to release the bolt on the M1A has to be very slightly more deliberate than the simple motion of bumping the back of the bolt handle on the M1.

Of course another explanation could be that I've got 12,000 or more rounds fired in matches using the M1 and only about a 1000 fired in matches with the M1A. Of course this comparison could be termed "picking at nits". No matter, I love my .30's.

Either way you'll have a REAL battle rifle and not one shooting a varmint round or something called an intermediate round.

Same ol' tired M1 that's been shown on the Forum before. A DCM gun mfg'd in June of 1944.

Until recently I wasn't aware that my M1A was an early Springfield Armory product from when they were built in Seguin, Texas. The extra stock is for "after 5:00 wear". I obtained it from Fred's about 15 years ago. Asked him to send me the fanciest, and craziest figured surplus walnut stock he had. He came through in spades! This stock should been fabricated into an exhibition grade hunting rifle rather than a handle for Uncle Sam's ordnance.

What's wrong with this photo? A rare shot of ol' bmcgilvray shooting the M1A slow-fire prone during a match while committing the faux pas of not wearing shooting glasses. I had my son's girlfriend who took the photo wearing them.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    The tell tale noise when it ejects letting your opponent know you've just run out of ammo.
    My uncle (who fought in WWII) taught me a trick to make people THINK you were out! All it takes is an empty clip. Said it worked for him a couple times.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've always thought that the M14 was essentially an M1 with a larger magazine capacity. With that in mind, I would elect for the M14.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I got my first M1 when I was 19. Was so excited. Took it home that afternoon and headed down to the tank dam to try it out. I didn't have a clue about its operation. When the 8th round went off and the empty clip ejected with its characteristic ring I thought the rifle had blown up.

I believe, for the purposes you list, I would opt for the M1A... not that the M1 garand would not fill the bill well. But the capacity thing ya know. Both of them are not "target practice" guns really... both of em kick like a mule. Have you considered the M1 Carbine maybe? Not a big game hunter but fills the bills a lot on those other criteria...

Senior Moderator
    I would go with a Garand....

That said I have a M1 carbine for home defense and plinking and a FAL for hunting and more serious shooting.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

If possible buy both. If you have to limit yolurself to 1, I would go with the M1a, it is more versatile.

Go with the M1A. It's a darn good rifle. I know because I've used M-14s, XM-21s and M1As in a variety of military and police jobs. NONE of them ever failed me. The round is very accurate, especially if you use match ammo. Sure, you pay for magazines but you also pay for any other reloading devices. The real advantage is the 20 rounds that the M1A has over the 8 round M1 Garand. Put a good scope on an M1A and you can reach out to 1,000 yards for some shooting needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links