Converted 20 ga Special Purpose shotgun to hunting gun. Which choke to use for HD?

Converted 20 ga Special Purpose shotgun to hunting gun. Which choke to use for HD?

This is a discussion on Converted 20 ga Special Purpose shotgun to hunting gun. Which choke to use for HD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I have a specific question. Can I shoot O Buckshot (single ought buck) from an Modified or IC from an Mossberg 500 20 gauge ...

View Poll Results: Which shotgun caliber do you use for Home Defense/Self defense?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 gauge

1 1.64%
  • 12 gauge

52 85.25%
  • 16 gauge

1 1.64%
  • 20 gauge

9 14.75%
  • 28 gauge

0 0%
  • cal .410

1 1.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Converted 20 ga Special Purpose shotgun to hunting gun. Which choke to use for HD?

Hi,

I have a specific question.
    Can I shoot O Buckshot (single ought buck) from an Modified or IC from an Mossberg 500 20 gauge shotgun?
    The rounds are my modified birdshot Shells filled with 6 (3 layers of 2) cal 311 (.311") lead Round balls. Actually this gives a size between #1 Buckshot and O Buckshot.

The gun I bought like this (Special Purpose)
    http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/u...01-catalog.jpg
    Converted 20 ga Special Purpose shotgun to hunting gun. Which choke to use for HD?-54301-catalog.jpg

and bought an spare Barrel (Comes with 3 chokes. IC M and F), mag tube and mag spring and changed the gun from an 20" open bore to an 26" Barrel hunting gun like this

Converted 20 ga Special Purpose shotgun to hunting gun. Which choke to use for HD?-neuer-lauf-schrotflinte.jpg

I like this Setup more for hunting since finally I hit something but want to use the gun for slugs (self lead cast .575" Musketballs) and buckshot as well should I Need it for Home Defense.
    Struckat likes this.
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
    The Bible

Improved cylinder.

Second vote for I.C.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yes I measured the Mod choke and it gave roughly .580" Diameter while the IC choke gives .610" Diameter (roughly).
    One layer of the .311" balls (2 balls) measure together .622" and even the IC may be a bit tight (when both balls choose to Exit at the same time).

But I think there is no risk to damage the gun Shooting 2 balls which are .622" together through an opening of .610, isnt it?

Out of fear to damage the gun I removed the Mod choke already and installed the IC.
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
    The Bible

Lead has a tough time damaging steel. While it CAN happen in extremes, it's rare. Best bet? Pattern your loads using both chokes and watch carefully for deformed shot (wild flyers). IMHO, .018" worst-case interference isn't likely to damage the modified choke. Do these rounds carry a full shot cup wad?
    5lima30ret, AzQkr and Chuck R. like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I wouldn't try shooting those .575 musket balls out of a modified choke, for sure.

Is it hard to change the choke? If it were me I'd just go IC for home defense, or ideally put the shorter barrel back on for that purpose. For inside-the-house distances, I'd prefer more spread than I'd likely get with even an IC choke - which I think is why most "tactical" shotguns come cylinder.

Plus a 26" barrel is pretty long to handle, if you have to go around corners.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

For inside the house, the difference in pattern size from various chokes is infinitesimal/ insignificant. No shotgun choke will give ally sweeper patterns at home defense distances.
    So AIM.

Buckshot will not harm a full choke barrel. For my first 20 years of deer hunting, the area was shotgun only. The"'gold standard" of the day was a 12 gauge Browning A-5, 30 inch full choke barrel, Winchester Super X #1 magnum 20 pellet shells.

For inside the house, get or cut an 18" barrel and don't worry about buckshot "pattern" other than doing it for curiosity sake.
    gasmitty likes this.

From the Special Purpose open choke Barrel I got a spread of this from 25 Yards with this self cast .311" Roundball load

Like above the 20 ga load is made (Lee mold round ball cal 311 for 45 grain each buckshot ball). In the 20 ga the wad is cut the petals off to fit snug the 3 layers of 2 (total 6 cal 311 round balls for a total of 270 grains).
    Photo below is the 12 ga round made with the same cal 311 round balls. In that case the birdshot wad stays intact and it fits 3 layers of 3 totalling 9 cal .311" round balls for 405 grain).
    My Wheel Weights are high Zinc Content so the round balls are a bit harder than pure lead.

drift likes this.
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    The Bible

the musketballs cal 575 (it's basically the famous caliber 58 muzzleloader musketball) slides right through the Full choke. No resistance experiences the .575" ball in an Full choke in this gun.
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    The Bible

Sponsor
    Can I shoot O Buckshot (single ought buck) from an Modified or IC from an Mossberg 500 20 gauge shotgun?

Yes
    drift and ghost tracker like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

"single ought buck" O Buckshot in an 20 ga with an Modified choke?
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    The Bible

Sponsor
    The difference between 20 ga. IC and modified is .01 inches. Yes is your answer, but you're free to over think this subject as you have others recently.

I measured the Mod choke and it gave roughly .580" Diameter

20 ga. modified choke measures .605, not .580.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-...ke-Tubes&mf=12

What about Full choke?
    Can I shoot that buckshot through the 20 ga Full choke as well?

I have an worker who shoots all the time 12 ga OO Buckshot from his H&R Pardner 12 ga Full choke shotgun.
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    The Bible

Sponsor
    Lead through a choke isn't a problem. My O/U 12 ga. sees nothing but two full chokes used for aerial work.

I wouldn't use steel shot with any chokes, and that link cautions against it also.

This is what the Mossberg 500 Manual says section Accu Chokes

Extra-Full choke tubes are not recommended for use with buckshot or slugs.
    The “Improved Cylinder” choke tube will usually produce the best accuracy with
    most slugs.
    ACCU-CHOKE™ TUBES
    ACCU-CHOKE™ TUBES are designed for use with LEAD or STEEL shot. Each
    durable choke tube is clearly marked, as a guide, with the pattern it will produce.
    Do not shoot steel shot through the X-Full and XX-Full Turkey Tubes
    as barrel damage and/or personal injury may result.
    Supposedly they dont restrict Buckshot of lead or steel to any choke except steel through X-Full (which I dont have for the 20 ga).
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    The Bible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links