First long gun?

First long gun?

This is a discussion on First long gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I have zero long guns, never owned one. Since I am content with my handgun collection for now, I am looking to purchase something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First long gun?

First long gun?

Okay, I have zero long guns, never owned one. Since I am content with my handgun collection for now, I am looking to purchase something different. What should I start out with? Shotgun? rifle? AR?

Start with a .22 rifle and learn to shoot it and what you can do to improve your accuracy. It is cheap to shoot and may be shot in places where a high powered rifle might be too dangerous. I own about 10 long guns but still break out one of my 22 rifles for fun or to dispatch a varmint in the yard.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

My first long gun was a shotgun, and if I had it to do over again, I would pick a shotgun again. A lot of people call it the thinking man's weapon, and I would tend to agree. The great thing about it is it that there is ammo for every need. Birdshot for skeet and trap and bird hunting, and even as a first round for home defense. Theres buckshot which is all around great stuff great for hunting and especially for home defense. And theres slugs, if you want to be precise. With my benelli M2 Tactical, I've put two slugs center mass at 75 feet out of a 18.5 inch barrel at a USPSA match. Good enough for self defense any day. You really can't go wrong with a good shotgun such as a Remington 870, or a Mossberg 500.

BTW- I sometimes (about 50% of the time) keep just one round of birdshot in the chamber of a shotgun to serve as a "I'm not joking around" warning shot to the chest/face of an intruder. Thats just my way, most people keep theirs stocked with buckshot 100% of the time. I change it with my ever changing mood. I'm different, so to each their own.

Hope this helps!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    Start with a .22 rifle and learn to shoot it and what you can do to improve your accuracy. It is cheap to shoot and may be shot in places where a high powered rifle might be too dangerous. I own about 10 long guns but still break out one of my 22 rifles for fun or to dispatch a varmint in the yard.
    +1

Since you're used to straight dot sights with the handgun, you may want to go with a simple iron sight semi. .22 is VERY cheap to shoot, and for a long gun, it's the best to learn with (breathing, etc.)

I don't think long gun or shotgun should be an either/or question. (Not like most of us can buy whatever we want..) If you can only get one, you'd have to ask yourself what exactly the change you want is..? I don't like shot guns, but I own a 12 ga. It's hands down the most versitile firearm... With the .22 (or other), you will be able to shoot it at most any pistol range. Your choice m8

I vote for the .22 rifle as well. For practice, economy, and fun a .22 rifle can't be beat.

Administrator
    If I had no long guns at all I would spring for a .22 Rim Fire first.
    And a couple of bricks of high quality ammunition.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I'd go with a 10/22. Learn the basics and when you get bored with it, you can make it into pretty much whatever you want.

The shotgun isnt a bad idea too. If you go that route, I'd get a plain jane 870.
    Again you can learn the basics and when you get bored with it, you can make it into pretty much whatever you want.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When just shooting for fun, I always pick my Benelli 12-ga (turkey gun) to go kill some clays with. With light loads, you can shoot it all day.

Plus, if you ever want to feel what it's like to shoulder a cannon, put a smooth bore choke in it and go fire some 3" Magnum 1-oz slugs. If you can put more than 10 shots through it without crying like a little girl, you're officially macho (or drunk).

Shotguns are great fun.

I'd vote for the .22 as a first long gun. Like pistols, you cannot have just one. Isn't there a law to that effect??

I've got a 10/22 and a Benelli 12 gauge. I got the Benelli first and I'm glad I did. If you've never shot a long gun before and want to learn how, get the .22 If you want to blast stuff and a gun for HD first, get a shotgun.

Austin

You can't go wrong with a 10/22 ruger various models to choose from and a choice of 10 - 30 rd mags to boot! Inexpensive, fun, reliable, and highly accurate with the bull barrel ...Then you can get an AR, an AK, a carbine, and a lever gun!
    Never been a shotgun fan, had a moss 590 & rem 870; sold them both , heavy ammo,bulky, hard to transport, limited capacity 9 rds tops! Did a few tactical shotgun courses and still found a handgun or carbine better for HD purposes, you can always get a mini .410 shotgun..the taurus judge!

go with the ruger 10/22. hard to beat this rifle. ammo is cheap too.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Ruger 10/22! I would go for the lowest priced model. I eventually put a Butler Creek target barrel and stock on mine. You can drop in all kinds of match grade stuff bit by bit or all at once if you want. If you want some interesting targets try shooting Necco wafers or spent 9mm casings! You can spend a whole lot of time and not a lot of money and have loads of fun!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I think you have received some sound advice above, albeit in many varieties. I think you have to decide what you want the function of this gun to be.

If you are thinking strictly home defense than I would suggest you go with the shotgun. I honestly believe a shotgun can honestly be the best home defense weapon, along with all of the reasons for the shotgun given above.

If you are look for a SHTF long gun, you should buy an AR/M4. They are great arsenal weapons. If you agree with those of us who believe that unfortunately Hillary or Rudy will get elected, your opportunity to buy an AR/M4 and corresponding hi cap mags may be limited so you might want to consider getting one now.

If you are looking for a long gun to use strictly as a plinker, I agree with the 10/22. Fun to shoot, great to learn on and you can shoot all weekend for just a few bucks in ammo.

If you have decided to pick up big game hunting all of the sudden, or you have decided to become a sniper (I doubt either of these are the case) you should look at a higher powered rifle, like a 30-06 or 308 or something of that nature.

My lengthy $0.02!! Good luck and post pics when you get it.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

How about an SKS? They're very inexpensive (just bought a Yugo one for 220$ out the door).
    Nice strong caliber 7.62X39 and relatively cheap to shoot.

My first shotgun is going to be a Mossberg Persuader I think..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links