Beretta Storm setup...

This is a discussion on Beretta Storm setup... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got my baby eagle that I'm MORE than happy with. I've got a 12 ga. shotgun for whatever calls. I've got my thunderstick, .300 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Storm setup...

Question Beretta Storm setup...

I've got my baby eagle that I'm MORE than happy with. I've got a 12 ga. shotgun for whatever calls. I've got my thunderstick, .300 wby mag for anything needing killed, stripped, and cooked at the same time.

I have no semi...

My dad likes his sks that my brother and I got him for xmas, and I like the idea of cheap ammo and parts - but something told me to look elsewhere (that and the fact that he's in Colorado and can use a 3ft long piece, while I'm in suburban hell aka Orlando, and need something shorter).

Well, now that I've seen, read, and fallin' in love with the thing (storm obviously..) - it's time for me to think about setup.

My window of time is limited, which is why I'm considering the setup before I even own the thing. I'll be getting another refund check from college funds (if only they knew...), which I should have about 600 to spare that I overestimated gas costs - around January time. I'll call it, house insurance Well, the firearm itself will run me 450 (I see them advertised for 700, but hell - I scored my baby eagle for $350), so I'm looking at 150 upfront. With the upcoming elections not looking promissing, I have a short window of opportunity to get this thing in my hands, dressed, and ready to dance.

Wants: nothing more than a 2x-4x scope. pref a red dot. possible night sights. flashlight, or laser setup (other guns are less oriented with extras, so why not go all out on at least 1...)

** The question **
    Suggestions on how-to, or a nice setup, rail alternatives, barrel options, cheap magazine extras, hi-cap mags, etc etc etc.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I assume you're talking about the CX4 Storm (carbine), not the PX4 Storm (pistol).

My roomate bought one a couple of weeks ago, and it's sweet. It's heavier than you'd think (most of it in the bolt carrier), but it points and shoots easily, it's quiet and nearly flashless, even with no flash hider, and it disassembles quickly and easily.

Make sure you get the optional top rail, and you can add an AimPoint or similar to it. The iron sights flip down completely, so no worries about them. It has a slide-out front rail that you can use to mount a light if you want. I don't think it's stable enough for a laser, but a light would work great. There are also removable lower rails available for it if you're a verticle handgrip type of guy (they don't especially appeal to me).

Mags can be a little pricey ($35 for the standard capacity), but they're out there. And if you decide to get a PX4, they share mags.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    I'm doing something related right now. Except I chose the PC4 over the storm.

I've decided to keep it simple as possible, simple always works better.

If I were limited on funds as you suggest that you are, I would skip the scope for now, and concentrate on mags and ammo. I would have at least 5 mags on hand.

You can always buy optics and "bling" later after Hitlery is in office. The same cant be said for mags or even ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Nice post Mercalf! Dad's in total agreement. Sighting systems are nice, but many, many mags and lots of ammo are a PRIORITY! 5 mags should be considered a minimum. Sixto is right on point!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Thanks Sixto and Dad.. Are the mags really $35? They take the same as the 92, I thought they'd run a bit cheaper :( Should I just go ahead and order them online or look for gun show offerings? I've never been to the gun show here, so I don't know if it's worth going for ammo/mags or not. As far as the ammo - the baby eagle takes the WinWhite Box extremely well from Wally World. I figure I'll try and shoot them out of the same box, except when it comes to HP ammo, I'll get something a little different for the carbine.

Bob, thanks for the reassurance. From the sound of your post I feel a bit more comfortable. Heavier is always better imo (hence the D Eagle).. Any suggestions on light systems? Also, with the scope - would it be better to get one mounted higher so I can also use the iron sights, or forget the irons all together and rely on red dot?

Administrator
    no, 92 mags can be had a lot cheaper than that. Just make sure you get a decent make, and stay away from the cheap knock offs.

Check Cheaperthandirt.com and ammoman.com has good deals on 92 mags.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I should have clarified on the mags: Those were PX4 .40 17rd'ers, and they really are about $30-40 each. 92 series mags can be found cheaper, but I'm not sure what the differences are vs. PX4 mags.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/sp...t/magchart.htm

I'm a fan of having backup-up iron sights ready at a moments notice, so I say either get a see-through riser rail or plan on co-witnessing. In the end I say it depends more on where your eye naturally falls when properly shouldering the rifle. Don't mount it too high, or you'll lose your cheek weld.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I have CX4 storm 9mm (the one that takes 92 mags) because I have a 92FS!
    The px4 version of the cx4 does not take the 92 mags .they are not interchangeable it takes the px4 mags needless to say. The CX4 is an outstanding carbine, quite accurate reliable and in combo w/my 92fs quite convenient when taken to the local range. It takes 20/18/17/ 15 round mags...I have several of them from cheaper than dirt and cdnninvestments.com, get the mecgar mags they are the best! It is a great HD gun . A 20 rd mag filled with 115 gr JHP beats a shotgun anyday..I just use the iron sites, no need for a scope..for shots up to 50 yards.a sling is the only accessory I put on it..It is ALOT OF FUN..get one.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSal View Post
    The px4 version of the cx4 does not take the 92 mags .they are not interchangeable it takes the px4 mags needless to say. The CX4 is an outstanding carbine, quite accurate reliable and in combo w/my 92fs quite convenient when taken to the local range. It takes 20/18/17/ 15 round mags...I have several of them from cheaper than dirt and cdnninvestments.com, get the mecgar mags they are the best! It is a great HD gun . A 20 rd mag filled with 115 gr JHP beats a shotgun anyday..I just use the iron sites, no need for a scope..for shots up to 50 yards.a sling is the only accessory I put on it..It is ALOT OF FUN..get one.
    Thanks for the clarification on mags. I wasn't sure if it would accept 92/PX4 mags interchangably.

I love its accuracy. Even with irons I could nail the 100yd gong every time. It's fun being able to fire, then look up, focus on the gong and watch the bullet hit it a full second or so after you pulled the trigger.

I think beretta makes a device that allows the px4 mags to fit the "92" CX4...but their website is a bit confusing on this and have not been able to contact the customer sve people..endless hold..I have a px4 storm 9mm pistol as well (great deal used as new..couldn't resist) and would love to interchange/ use all three but haven't been able to as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSal View Post
    Wow, have never heard of the cdnninvestments, but there are some sweet deals on there! Thanks. I thought about going straight iron sights, but I think a flashlight/red dot combo will serve best my needs.

Have you tested groups with different types of ammos yet? If so please share

Mercalf,
    The only ammo I use is winchester white box, S&B, both 115 gr FMJ, and remington 115 gr JHP; these are the least expensive ammo types I'm able to get,they serve the practice and defensive(JHP) needs just fine. The wwb and remjhp I get at walmart about $16/100 rds and the S&B I get by the case online $140/1000 rds; aimsurplus.com or ammunitiontogo.com usually has the S&B;
    though sometimes natchezss.com has some good deals ..just have to hunt around their website! Hope this helps..

I forgot --get the cdnn catalog from them via regular mail, great buys on firearms and other stuff not on their website....

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have one on order in .40cal, I plan on putting the Bushnel Holosight on mine. Although the Trophy red dot will co-witness with the iron sights i am told.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Mercalf - you're getting some good advice here. Keep it simple and keep your purpose for buying in mind - Plinking and SHTF. I'd avoid telescopic sights. A red dot makes sense. Flashlight, in my opinion, would be a good idea. Top rail will cost you about $80. The unit comes with side rails that are iffy at best. You should think about buying the rifle at your range and they will install the top rail at no charge. This weekend is sale weekend there. Get the one that shoots the 92 mags. Also, the Kel-Tech rep will be there this weekend. If you don't have the $$, go and talk with the rep about alternative ideas. :)
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links