Want a AR type rifle...

This is a discussion on Want a AR type rifle... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am very interested in getting a AR type rifle. I am not very framilar the makes and models. I want something good and reliable. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want a AR type rifle...

Want a AR type rifle...

I am very interested in getting a AR type rifle. I am not very framilar the makes and models. I want something good and reliable. Looking for something with a short barrel and collapsable stock? At first I would like to stick with iron sights then move up to optics. I am looking to spend around 700.

I have a few concerns with ammo being a bit sparse now, can AR's be converted to 9mm?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nearly any major brand of AR will be reliable and I personally own a Bushmaster M4A3 and a couple of Stag Arms lowers for future builds; my next complete AR will be one by either Colt, Noveske, or LMT as they do small things that most others don't like properly stake gas keys and castle nuts. The quality of those guns is first-rate...and they aren't cheap.

Yes, you can convert an AR to 9mm by switching uppers and mags.

Great sources of info:

http://www.m4carbine.net
    http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

AR

I just bought this one................

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534646

$752 with the tax out the door.....case and one mag included.
    Plus, I just ordered a Yankee Hill flip up rear sight for anothe $78.

I'm done for awhile.

John

I own an MP15 by S&W, had it about 7 months and have put +/- 2000 rds thru it without a single hiccup. The cincinatti police dept just went completely to
    mp15 ar rifles. Mine has been reliable to a fault; highly recommend them. I also have a bushmaster 21s in .223, great gun but the MP15 is better. My .02!

Is ammo expensive? Hard to come by?

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    Is ammo expensive? Hard to come by?
    $6.47 for 20 for the walmart cheap stuff (remington 55gr). Easy to find around here.

as low as $250 per case if you mail order it. A lot of places are sold out and on backorder though.

CMMG is selling bargain bin rifles for $550. Internals are new, M4gery bbls are 1:9 and dont have chrome lining, and they have a few nicks and scratches. But for $550 I could live with that.

If I had about $600 (shipping and transfer fee) to blow I'd get one.

I like the Bushmasters for what it is worth.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by bassbones View Post
    I just bought this one................

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534646

$752 with the tax out the door.....case and one mag included.
    Plus, I just ordered a Yankee Hill flip up rear sight for anothe $78.

I'm done for awhile.

John
    I was ready to practically type a entire article on AR15's but since John posted this rifle I'll just say that for the price, since you mentioned $700 Doublestar is hard to beat.

This particular rifle can be upgraded later if your not satisfied with it's performance. However, I've seen this rifle run for 1,000 rounds straight without a hiccup.

It's already set up with flat top, profiled 16" barrel, mil spec extension tube with 5 position retactable stock and ready to accept USGI mags, optics and mounts, single integrated rail systems etc.

You could easily replace the mil spec stock with a SOPMOD or Vltor EMOD, then add in some LaRue Tactical mounts for an Aimpoint or Eotech and a Troy rear folding back up iron sight. You can replace the handguards with the Daniel Defense "OMEGA" rail interface system since it only requires one tool and no smith to remove the delta ring assembly. You can then add a foregrip, white light, PEQ laser, different sling mounts etc.

For your budget, I'd call Buds Guns and have one of these delivered to your favorite FFl.

my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

DS ar

I've done alot of research and talked to alot of dealers around here and they all agree......Doublestar is an excellent rifle and affordable.

Since I have the yankee hill flip up comming.....I'm just going to shoot the tar out of it as is and then figure out what (if anything) I'm going to put on it.

John

BushMaster here...added an EO Tech scope to it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My advice may not be too popular, but after you select a new ar, shoot it as it came equipted from the factory, notice how the light weight and high sights get you on target fast? Almost anything you add will slow it down, why make a swiss army knife out of it. Also not too popular to say is every inch that the barrel is shortened from 20" will reduce the leathalty of it. You may want optical sights, A red dot, etc is fast, but limits effective range, plus adds electronics to the equasion . A scope may add effective range. just keep it clean and don't let it get bashed. All I do to an ar is add a good trigger. I build other rifles for other purposes.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT D USMC View Post
    My advice may not be too popular, but after you select a new ar, shoot it as it came equipted from the factory, notice how the light weight and high sights get you on target fast? Almost anything you add will slow it down, why make a swiss army knife out of it. Also not too popular to say is every inch that the barrel is shortened from 20" will reduce the leathalty of it. You may want optical sights, A red dot, etc is fast, but limits effective range, plus adds electronics to the equasion . A scope may add effective range. just keep it clean and don't let it get bashed. All I do to an ar is add a good trigger. I build other rifles for other purposes.

That's actually sage advise. Welcome to the forum, by the way SGT D.

He is right, though. Every inch of shortened barrel reduces your initial velocity. I wouldn't neccesarily say its a reduction in lethality, though. It's more of a reduction in accuracy and max/effective range. I know what you mean, though, D. It really just comes down to what you're going to be using the platform for. If you want an AR for HD, then go ahead and get the bells and whistles for it. If you're looking for something to scratch varmint with, then it might be of benefit to carefully examine the neccesity of spending lots of dough on toys n accessories. I'll suffice to say that it REALLY comes down to personal preference.

As far as what company to buy from?? Hell... take your pick.
    The Top Three favorites: Colt, Rock River, and Bushmaster.
    As you get cheaper, supposedly your quality goes down. Which makes a lot of sense. However I've heard of people shooting DPMS AR's through many thousands of rounds without a problem. I'm pretty convinced that brand matters less then how much care and preventive maintenance you give to the rifle. What I mean by that is cleaning after you shoot it, examining rings, proper lubrication, etc, etc.

FWIW, I used to own a Bushmaster M4-Type AR with the shortest barrel I could own. I loved the rifle. Cared for it endlessly and even sold it to a member here on these boards so I could be sure it got a good home (I needed the money, and really... I don't think the platform is right for me). Take the time, do your own research on what to get and if possible go try a few out. See if there's any noticable difference for you. Remember how much money you're going to be forking out for one of those bad boys.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I haven't heard anything about .223 and 5.56 rounds being on back order and hard to find....but then again I don't own a rifle so I haven't really cared to pay attention.

Why are they hard to find? Last time I knew, they were easy to find....When did this happen?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    .223 and 5.56 have been tough to find for awhile now. Prices for 20 rounds are now around the $7 range. Most people attribute it to the Sandbox.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links