Am I insane for pondering this?

This is a discussion on Am I insane for pondering this? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that my CHL is actually here, and the Texas State Rifle Association counts as an associated organization, I am considering a Frankenstein kind of ...

Thread: Am I insane for pondering this?

Am I insane for pondering this?

Now that my CHL is actually here, and the Texas State Rifle Association counts as an associated organization, I am considering a Frankenstein kind of project but I don't know if I'm crazy to try it.

I'm pondering ordering an M1 Garand receiver from the CMP and slowly building a rifle around it. This would be a long slow project that would go over many months as I'd hunt down the parts one at a time for the best price I could find.

I haven't researched it all, and I need to get some manuals before I do anything dumb, but I'm wondering just how much of this I could do myself and how much of it would require a real gunsmith. I know when you put some other type rifles together from parts, you can do the work yourself and then have a gunsmith inspect it and adjust the tolerances if need be.

For instance I have no idea how the trigger group on an M1 Garand offers "drop in" installation, I have no idea who makes the best parts, etc.

Why do this and not just order a real Garand? Well if I did get an actual Garand I'd have to have some pretty serious work done on it to get it where I'd he happy with its condition, and I'd probably get it rebarreled to .308 in the process so why not just start with a receiver and build all new from there?

2. Remove Ads

you can order a 308 garand if you really want one cant say about building one up but i want a 30-06 garand

If either of you are interested and know your way around one, I'd kinda like to purge myself of mine(just no interest after I got it). I've considered the .308 conversion, but I'm pretty sure the receiver dates from late '44, and seems sacreligious to me.

Okay I'm actually only half insane.

It seems the best way to go here is to get a CMP Service Grade rifle, get a barrel, and have a gunsmith install the barrel and adjust the headspacing. The M1 Garand cannot be bolted together from its component parts unless you have $300 worth of M1 specific tools.

Something to consider for next year.

VIP Member
    I've ordered and received 5 Garands from the CMP over the last several years (yes, I'm totally addicted but not looking for the cure) and have learned a few things...
    If you are sure you will want to go with a new .308 barrel, order a Greek "rack grade" rifle. These are downgraded from the "service grade" because the 30-06 barrels are worn beyond issue standards. You will have a complete rifle with all of the parts that will simply need a new barrel installed and headspaced (probably by a gunsmith with some M-1 experience!). I have read that the Greek rifle stocks are pretty beat up also, so plan on getting new wood, also.
    If you are looking for a "service grade" 30-06 rifle, I suggest that you fill out the application to the CMP and include a yellow "sticky-note" with a polite request for a specific rifle: if you are looking for a WWII rifle for the pure historical value, then say so. My last 3 requests, however, have been along the lines of "I'm looking for either the highest serial number available or a good condition barrel because I'm tired of getting waxed at the John C. Garand matches, and I'm trying to find a good shooter". The last rifle I received was both!
    The CMP receives crates containing 50 rifles in each from the Army depots, and they go through 1 crate at a time filling orders in the order that they are received. It is supposed to be strictly luck of the draw, but I'm convinced that a politely worded (and with a little humor) sticky note can improve your chances at a good shooter.
    You can find all the pricing and lots of good info at their website www.odcmp.com

Don't wait for too long though....grapevine talk is that there are only 3 or 4 more years worth of rifles to sell.

Rick
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Team American - That's exactly why I'm pondering this now. I'm interested in having one just because I like the concepts this rifle is built around, and they won't be around forever.

I think the Greek grade sounds like a good idea. I might reconsider and keep it in the original .30-06. The reason I was considering a .308 conversion is that I'm interested in eventually obtaining other rifles in that caliber, and having both .30-06 and .308 is silly.

VIP Member
    Euclidean, the main problem that I can see coming down the road is the lack of available 30-06 surplus ammo....although talk is that the CMP is going to receive a HUGE shipment of Olympic (Greek) ammo in the near future. Now they are selling Lake City non-corrosive surplus ammo, and I'm probably going to buy 2 or 3 thousand rounds for future use. Also, the Lake City brass is very good, and reloading it will probably be the way to go in the future.

That said, I recently had an M-1 converted to .308 because the prospects of surplus ammo in the future are very good.

Either way, you will enjoy owning and shooting the Garand.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I saw one for 400 the other day i was leary of it though didnt have time to give it a good inspection i was on lunch but something like that could do good for ya Euc

Scratchy if it can be had for under a 100 im you guy but i blew all spending money on 2 springfield 1911 earlyer so im a poor guy

Links