Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun - Page 2

Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

This is a discussion on Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OD, I love that rig. :) Euc, More power to ya. I've trained so much with an 870 from the gunbox ready position that it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    OD,

I love that rig. :)

Euc,

More power to ya. I've trained so much with an 870 from the gunbox ready position that it is what is natural to me. Keep in mind that ours are riding around in vehicles a good bit, and the chance for a jolt or a bump that might set it off are higher. We also have to contend with putting them in and taking them out of vehicles. Prior to putting on the badge I kept mine with a loaded chamber, but I prefer the gunbox ready method. I train that way, and I keep all of my personal shotties that way as well.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

What Combateffective said. :) We will have to agree to disagree, and even the Great Col. Cooper had unloaded guns.

My 870/1200 stays in cruiser ready--I do not have safety on.

Sorry, but I do not see a contradicton. If shotgun were 'first grab' perhaps chamber loaded, but it is not.

It is my safe room gun, and if I have time to take the step to get it, I have time to rack it.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I'm not saying there's not a good reason sometimes you might have to keep the thing unchambered and open. I realize the real world is not full of ideal situations. The police vehicle situation is one such situation.

My shotgun seems reasonably well made. I doubt very much it would fire if I dropped it much as I doubt my 686 would fire if I dropped it directly on its hammer. The "safety" on every gun I have is not a mechanical feature or a method of storage. It is my brain and my trigger finger, which does not touch the trigger unless I am ready and willing to fire.

I shall endeavor from now on to carry my XD40 Israeli style. After all if I have time to draw it I have time to rack it.

I apologize for the sarcasm, but that's the only way I felt I could make the point. If the shotgun is meant for immediate use, it should be ready for immediate use. If it is not meant for immediate use, such as my personal shotgun or the aforementioned specimen in the safe room, then I fully agree it need not be kept in such condition.

I will happily concede the point that if operating the shotgun a certain way has become so basic to you it's a reflex, then you should most definitely disregard anything I say and do it your way.

And perhaps I am incorrect in my thinking. I admit my shotgun is not my first love so to speak. I cut my teeth on rifles and to be honest that's where most of my long gun experience lies. I probably tend to treat it too much like a rifle.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'm not saying there's not a good reason sometimes you might have to keep the thing unchambered and open. I realize the real world is not full of ideal situations. The police vehicle situation is one such situation.

My shotgun seems reasonably well made. I doubt very much it would fire if I dropped it much as I doubt my 686 would fire if I dropped it directly on its hammer. The "safety" on every gun I have is not a mechanical feature or a method of storage. It is my brain and my trigger finger, which does not touch the trigger unless I am ready and willing to fire.

I shall endeavor from now on to carry my XD40 Israeli style. After all if I have time to draw it I have time to rack it.

I apologize for the sarcasm, but that's the only way I felt I could make the point. If the shotgun is meant for immediate use, it should be ready for immediate use. If it is not meant for immediate use, such as my personal shotgun or the aforementioned specimen in the safe room, then I fully agree it need not be kept in such condition.

I will happily concede the point that if operating the shotgun a certain way has become so basic to you it's a reflex, then you should most definitely disregard anything I say and do it your way.

And perhaps I am incorrect in my thinking. I admit my shotgun is not my first love so to speak. I cut my teeth on rifles and to be honest that's where most of my long gun experience lies. I probably tend to treat it too much like a rifle.
    Look, you carry, load, etc anyway you like. That is your decision, and I am not interested in trying to change it.

To me 'immedate action gun' means gun that is within reach with movement of just arm. I have such a gun in the bed. It is some sort of night sighted revolver/semi auto. Shotgun is about a step and a half from bed. Shotguns are not that comfortable a bedmate!!!

Just the opinion of one old fart ;)
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Shotguns are not that comfortable a bedmate!!!
    Ha! We agree at last!

Euc,

The difference is that the safety devices on pistols are differnt from that of shotguns. With pistols, the safety device with prevents the hammer from falling or there is a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from functioning unless the trigger is manipulated. The revolver you mentioned even has a type of firing pin block.

On the shotguns in question here the safety only locks the trigger mechanism. There is nothing that blocks the hammer or firing pin. For the same reason, before the advent of transfer bars and firing pin blocks revovlers were carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
    Shooters' Legacy

Combat,

Have you seen reports of "inertia firings" or is it the possibility alone you speak of? I'm just curious, as I can't see a whole lot of data in the real world being available because of the circumstances needed to create such a mishap. Has someone done a "Consumer Reports" test on various models to see how easy this can happen?

All information I have on it is anecdotal and from training classes. I have read news stories and officer alerts from where it has happened, but I don't have anything handy at present as a means of documentation. I'm currently on vacation, but I'll try to remember to dig through the training stuff at the department when I get back home.
    Shooters' Legacy

Thanks Combat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links