Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

This is a discussion on Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An Interesting & Wothwhile EASY READ on the Combat Shotgun for home defense. One maybe 2 things I don't totally agree with but, quite informative. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

Administrator

Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

An Interesting & Wothwhile EASY READ on the Combat Shotgun for home defense. One maybe 2 things I don't totally agree with but, quite informative.

Click HERE For WorthWhile Reading
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

good read as you said there are a couple things i dont agree with

Nice picture, don't think the pistol grip is legal in CA(if it is considered a pistol grip). Speaking from my home of defense we should practice more with our shotgun. Dam it hurts sometime, my arm gets sore.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Didnt see the pic the first tiem that would be a NFA shot gun wouldnt it ?

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Interesting read. The shotgun is a wonderful tool if the person knows how to use it. I attended a 40 hour police shotgun instructor course last year and became fairly proficient with the combat shotgun. I have an old 870P police trade in that I bought for $179. It worked great until I added a Wilson Combat 2 round extension to it. The provided spring is a bit strong. Currently, it has a bead on a post, but I would like ghost rings for it. I had mine threaded with chokes and have it choked with a modified tube. At 25 yards with Remington Reduced Recoil 8 pellet 00 buck I get very tight groups at 25 yards.

At some point I'm going to set up a 20ga shottie see how well it will perform.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 5th, 2005 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Correct Typo Error ~ Change Word String To Spring
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Administrator

Thumbs up Bud ~ CombatEffective

"Didnt see the pic the first tiem that would be a NFA shot gun wouldnt it?"
    Yep, I added the pic. as an afterthought since I like threads with at least one photo.

CombatEffective.
    Really, I think the 870 shown in the photos is maybe a bit excessively "cropped" - I think a standard shotty w/ a shorter barrel is a useful tool.
    Maybe w/ a high quality folding stock to facilitate storage.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK,

I HATE folding and pistol grip only stocks. The one in the abov pic is probably a door buster of some sort. I have an 18" barrel on mine. We have some 14" models in the department inventory.
    Shooters' Legacy

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I've been wanting to get a entry kit bbl (14") for my Benelli M1 Super 90. It is an NFA add on and at this point I'm not sure that I want to be in the Govt's sights for one bbl. ------- Something to ponder is,....will you be shooting your weapon shouldered or from the hip? Had a instructor that used to say,"PISTOL GRIP-FROM THE HIP". To me a shotgun with a pistol grip is designed to be fired unshouldered.--------

Here's my beef with a pistol grip on a defensive shotgun or even a shotgun which might be pressed into a defensive role.

For most users, a pistol grip changes the position of the firing hand, which can make the shotgun's safety inaccessible. Case in point: the Mossberg 500's elegant safety design. I've yet to encounter a shotgun pistol grip that facilitates the comfortable use of the safety on at least this particular shotgun.

This is normally countered with the suggestion one should simply store the shotgun with the safety off and an empty chamber. The reason why is almost universally:

"The sound of the round being chambered will scare the bad guy away..."

Oh Hollywood how I loathe thee.

So now we have a gun that's not ready for a fight because there's not a round in the chamber, the controls on the gun are inaccessible, and it's harder to use and control.

I can however see the use of a top or side folding stock with a pistol grip, so you can get compact storage. I can even see the point of a fixed pistol grip stock if you're used to shooting a military rifle. But the solo pistol grip is just something that I don't see as terribly useful beyond compact storage.

Perhaps such a grip on a 20 gauge would be prudent however. I'm so used to the 12 gauge I can't honestly say.

Euclidean,
    I see your point about the safety, but I personally agree with the empty chamber and safety off. The gun is racked as it's picked up and is hardly any slower than flipping the safety off.

Yes, it gives away your position, but I figure most people coming into my house are going to be thieves that thought I was not home. Most thieves do not carry guns.

Home invasions are becoming more prevalent in my area but like the cowards they are, usually they pick old and/or defenseless targets. Hearing a shotty rack alerts them to the fact they have chosen wrongly.

Racking also gives a family member/friend (anyone have a key to your house?) a chance to identify themselves.

A shotgun racking DOES have an effect on the BG, just like my M6 does. I never would have bought one (M6) if I had not seen for myself how many BG's will stop messin around when a dot bounces on them.

I just got my first shotty for the home and will be using it in 3-gun also. The Copstock is a whole different animal than most pistol grips, and it works well in reducing recoil.

I suppose everyone will have their own tastes, just like the handguns they choose to carry, here's mine for now...

Last edited by Jim_Linch; July 6th, 2005 at 05:27 AM.

The safety on most shotguns is simply a trigger safety and does not block the firing pin. If there is a round in the chamber and the gun should happen to fall over or strike a hard object it is possible that the round could fire. I store mine (and we carry ours this way in our cars) in the gunbox ready condition which is hammer down on an empty chamber so that the slide is free, the safety on, and the mag tube loaded full. If the shotty is taken from the rack/mount a round can be chambered as needed.
    Shooters' Legacy

OD*
    The perfect accessory for that shorty

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I could conceal that while skiiing....

or in my firegear (although THAt wouldn't be comfortable...)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I defer to Colonel Cooper.

All guns are always loaded and they should be because an unloaded gun is useless. A shotgun with an empty chamber is unloaded.

We've had many posts educating myself and others why it's a horrible idea to carry a pistol with a full magazine and an empty chamber. The same idea applies here.

If the shotgun is going into some kind of storage situation where immediate use for combat is not your primary concern, or you're about to climb over a fence or something, yes by all means clear the chamber.

I keep mine completely unloaded for the record, but my shotgun would only be pressed into service in an emergency. I would trust it for that but it's not set up for it.

The only thing worse than a premature discharge, is no discharge.....(cough, cough) Read: when I kept a bedside SG, it was always "hot".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links